Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Stanley25 podcast have report some red flags about Mailloux

He seems to like a lot the night life in Laval/Montreal and he have miss some team meetings this year and some in the organization are not really pleased with that
Yeah there is a zero tolerance rule on missing team meetings (look at Drouin last year) so I'm not buying this at all.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yeah there is a zero tolerance rule on missing team meetings (look at Drouin last year) so I'm not buying this at all.
Not sure why, but some just love to stir the pot, and then some take it as gospel.
You have to think this is some of the stuff players take into account when they turn UFA and want nothing to do with certain markets.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In his rookie year, Mailloux is currently scoring at a 0.67 pt/game clip.

The last rookie defenseman (or basically any defenseman) we've had do that over the course of a full season in the AHL is PK Subban who finished his rookie year at a 0.69 pt/ game clip.

First 28 games of the season- 5 Goals, 11 Assists, -12

Since then (33 games)- 9 Goals, 16 Assists, +11

First 8 games - 8-2-0-2 -9 13 pims
Next 53 games - 53-12-27-39 +8 70 pims

that's a .74 ppg over 53 games and a swing of 17 to go from a -9 to a +8.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
No need to look at +/- to know that Mailloux has improved quite a lot his defensive game. The eye test watching the games is clear. He is much more stable, makes better decisions with the puck, not forcing high risk passes. He is still a work in progress, but the package he has is very exciting.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
No need to look at +/- to know that Mailloux has improved quite a lot his defensive game. The eye test watching the games is clear. He is much more stable, makes better decisions with the puck, not forcing high risk passes. He is still a work in progress, but the package he has is very exciting.

gross-eek.gif

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Proves that his defensive game has improved.
Yes he has looked sharper and more confident as the year progressed. Still, I would love to see him escape forecheckers, gain separation and exit the defensive zone with speed and power. Too often he takes two strides and passes the puck as if doesn’t believe he can successfully carry the puck.

At London, at least twice a period, he would grab the puck and charge up the ice. At Laval, he doesn’t do it twice a week. Until I see that level of mobility ( if ever) he should stay in Laval.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Yes he has looked sharper and more confident as the year progressed. Still, I would love to see him escape forecheckers, gain separation and exit the defensive zone with speed and power. Too often he takes two strides and passes the puck as if doesn’t believe he can successfully carry the puck.

At London, at least twice a period, he would grab the puck and charge up the ice. At Laval, he doesn’t do it twice a week. Until I see that level of mobility ( if ever) he should stay in Laval.
Do you think that is a player decision or a coaching decision?

If his rushes don't succeed in the AHL then it could be a problem. If he's been told not to hog the puck until his defense improves it's still a problem but a different one. Houle seems to have a habit of holding players back offensively until they show that they are committed defensively.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Do you think that is a player decision or a coaching decision?

If his rushes don't succeed in the AHL then it could be a problem. If he's been told not to hog the puck until his defense improves it's still a problem but a different one. Houle seems to have a habit of holding players back offensively until they show that they are committed defensively.
Let’s all hope it’s a coaching decision. But as some know here, I always cautioned against people describing Mallioux as possessing elite skating ability. Nothing that I have seen of his play in Laval would cause me to lower that cautionary flag.

But the kid is only 21. Let’s see if his skating skills catch up to his offensive vision and passing skills. He is, as I first noted: an intriguing prospect with huge upside potential if his missed years of development can be overcome.

Reactions: 417 and dcyhabs

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I think that's something that will come when he matures physically a bit more as he needs to find his man strength and that could take a couple years perhaps. But I find that once you get confident in your strength it will show up on the ice.

I love how the Habs are handling him, just really nice to see at least so far they seem to be doing everything the way I'd wish they have done with most 1st rounders. Now that Reinbacher is here, with Barron and Mailloux plus Engstrom plays both sides, it gives the Habs the luxury of not rushing these kids the way that Xhekaj, Harris, Guhle, in which they were kind of forced to. Hopefully this means going forward they will not call up kids until they show they can fix their issues in the AHL first.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think that's something that will come when he matures physically a bit more as he needs to find his man strength and that could take a couple years perhaps. But I find that once you get confident in your strength it will show up on the ice.

I love how the Habs are handling him, just really nice to see at least so far they seem to be doing everything the way I'd wish they have done with most 1st rounders. Now that Reinbacher is here, with Barron and Mailloux plus Engstrom plays both sides, it gives the Habs the luxury of not rushing these kids the way that Xhekaj, Harris, Guhle, in which they were kind of forced to. Hopefully this means going forward they will not call up kids until they show they can fix their issues in the AHL first.
Follow the Dallas method...Thomas Harley played over 100 AHL games and is now a top pairing defenseman

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Maybe that's just the difference of playing junior vs pro hockey? Maybe he's explicitly been told to try to limit making those types of plays?

This isn't a rhetorical question, literally wondering.

edit - disregard, I see you answered in a subsequent post.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This pun sucks but it comes naturally ; Mailloux will become an important 'maillon' in the chain of the winning team.

He was a good pick. One of the last good pick of Timmins-Bergevin.

Timmins was back to doing well, after a long run of sucking:
2013: Lehkonen
2014: Evan's
2015: Nada (NHLer Juulsen)
2016: Sergachev
2017: Nada (NHLers Primeau, Poehling)
2018: Romanov (NHLers Harris, Kotkaniemi, Ylonen)
2019: Caufield, Struble, RHP
2020: Guhle (Tuch, Farrell, Dobes)
2021: Mailloux, Roy (Kapanen, Trudeau)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad