Lightning Rod Hyman: the pyrrhic battle continues

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If he cashed in on 60% of his chanced he would have a sh% of 60!! o_O
Or am I off on that thought?

oh I don't know man, you're probably right.

Ok if he cashed in to the level of a regular 1LW on that particular line he would have ~70 points is what I mean, he will never score that but 40points with his other stuff ive come around on him, 28 points wasn't good enough. The crow is delicious

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Interestingly, I don’t think he’s substantially different than he has before. Doing all the same things and has had what looks to be a couple fortunate bounces which he didn’t get last year. Matthews and Nylander capitalizing on some more of the chances he’s directly creating. But I don’t think he’s creating more chances or more high danger chances per game than he did last year.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Interestingly, I don’t think he’s substantially different than he has before. Doing all the same things and has had what looks to be a couple fortunate bounces which he didn’t get last year. Matthews and Nylander capitalizing on some more of the chances he’s directly creating. But I don’t think he’s creating more chances or more high danger chances per game than he did last year.
Agreed. He had zero puck luck last year, this year he has had some. That's all the difference.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
oh I don't know man, you're probably right.

Ok if he cashed in to the level of a regular 1LW on that particular line he would have ~70 points is what I mean, he will never score that but 40points with his other stuff ive come around on him, 28 points wasn't good enough. The crow is delicious
Fair is fair Walshy! Kudos to you but it's 50 points :fight:
:laugh:

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Hyman is awesome, no matter where in the lineup he plays. Him and Brown are crucial to this team. Their play, especially on the PK, keeps this team in games half the times. Goes unnoticed because goals are always more exciting for the fans.

Reactions: Rogie

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It may have with Marner. I always said I thought Bozak and JVR were harder workers until Kessel got here. Although in this case, Marner is just struggling I think.

I would partially agree with you a bit. I do believe Marner is struggling a bit to start the season; but am sorry I don't belive that JVR and Bozak are hard workers.

JVR was known to vanish for long stretches and just coast/float - Philly fans had warned us

Bozak - Have seen him on teh Leafs for his entire career; never seen him work hard

RLF

May 5, 2014
Agreed. He had zero puck luck last year, this year he has had some. That's all the difference.
Mostly this. Although he seems a little more selfish with the puck this year and creating some of his own chances.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's been playing very well but needs to get his assist rate up because I'm not sure hes going to keep goal scoring at this pace.

That said, hopefully his shooting this season means that his lacklustre offensive play last season can in part be attributed to lousy puck luck

RLF

May 5, 2014
I would partially agree with you a bit. I do believe Marner is struggling a bit to start the season; but am sorry I don't belive that JVR and Bozak are hard workers.

JVR was known to vanish for long stretches and just coast/float - Philly fans had warned us

Bozak - Have seen him on teh Leafs for his entire career; never seen him work hard

Ok, well I didn't say they were hard workers, I said they were harder workers until Kessel got here. What I meant was that they worked harder in comparison pre to during Kessel. They were never Hyman's or Matthew's on work ethic, but sorry, I still think they worked harder then than now and I have seen them play their whole career here as well. Agree to disagree.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Ok, well I didn't say they were hard workers, I said they were harder workers until Kessel got here. What I meant was that they worked harder in comparison pre to during Kessel. They were never Hyman's or Matthew's on work ethic, but sorry, I still think they worked harder then than now and I have seen them play their whole career here as well. Agree to disagree.

I couldn,t tell say if JVR was a harder worker (relatively prior Kessel) as I never watched a log of flyers games; I was just going by what philly fans had warned us about JVR

but for Bozak I would agree to disagree for sure

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I think as hyman has played okay so far. Fantastic pk but okay at even strength. He doesnt seem to get in on the forecheck that much this year....seems like its constantly matthews and nylander going in first.

The only player that I would change him for would be brown cause I think brown is just a way better version of hyman.

With that said, I would keep hyman on the wing and have more balance through the lineup

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think as hyman has played okay so far. Fantastic pk but okay at even strength. He doesnt seem to get in on the forecheck that much this year....seems like its constantly matthews and nylander going in first.

The only player that I would change him for would be brown cause I think brown is just a way better version of hyman.

With that said, I would keep hyman on the wing and have more balance through the lineup

Dude Brownie is a legit top 6 forward. Brown cow can
  • Skate
  • has great edgework
  • has vision and can make plays
  • has a good shot
  • awesome 2 way game

Reactions: MapleLeafs77

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last game against Detroit Hyman got 27 shifts and 20:40 as the most among forwards and even +2 minutes more than Matthews 17:58 or Nylander 18:16 his linemates that were #2 and 3rd in ice time.

20 minutes of ice time in a game is a full period worth.

Reactions: PromisedLand

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Dude Brownie is a legit top 6 forward. Brown cow can
  • Skate
  • has great edgework
  • has vision and can make plays
  • has a good shot
  • awesome 2 way game
I completely agree. Brown is awesome and I think is underrated massively. I think him with matthews and nylander would be unstoppable but I would rather him play with kadri and komarov.

We would have three awesome lines:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Marleau - Bozak - Marner
Martin - Moore/Fehr - Leivo

JVR needs to go. Now. Worst player we have. Talented sure but lazy and slow and hurts the team. Just by getting rid of him and fixing the lines would make us so much better.

With that said.....in the future I would want brown with matthews

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I completely agree. Brown is awesome and I think is underrated massively. I think him with matthews and nylander would be unstoppable but I would rather him play with kadri and komarov.

Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Marleau - Bozak - Marner

JVR needs to go. Now. Worst player we have. Talented sure but lazy and slow and hurts the team. Just by getting rid of him and fixing the lines would make us so much better.

I think these lines would be so much more better than what we have going now for the team

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hyman has been excellent this year. Hard to imagine anyone still having an issue with him.

Reactions: The_Chosen_One

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Marleau - Bozak - Marner

Babs said last week Leivo will not play on the 4th line, he needs at least 2 of the top 6 wingers to get injured to get into the lineup. Even then, I think you would see Kappy recalled.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Babs said last week Leivo will not play on the 4th line, he needs at least 2 of the top 6 wingers to get injured to get into the lineup. Even then, I think you would see Kappy recalled.
It is totally your ability to fit Babcock's role.
Kappy can play top 9 and on the 4th line. Because he has speed, attention to D and PK ability.
Leivo will continue to sit.

Reactions: White Shadow

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Hyman has been excellent this year. Hard to imagine anyone still having an issue with him.

I think those that do only dream of higher point totals for Matthews and Nylander. We knew his numbers were likely to rise this year because his shooting % was some kind of freakishly low thing.

Who people are going to play with is going to change from year to year as new guys emerge and older guys move on. I do not get why people worry about it so much or take it personally.

What amazes me more is that all the armchair coaches are convinced the highest paid coach in the game understands the game less than them and only by using their brilliant insights will we reach hockey heaven.

Babcock is not immune to mistakes but if he is doing something he probably has good reasons for it you are not seeing. Considering he has far more information and insight at his disposal he can probably make the more informed decision.
Hyman is fine, he certainly is not hurting us.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Brown 185 lbs
Hyman 213 lbs
And Hyman is a faster skater.
And that's all that matters, Brown has the better offensive touch, but we dont need that on the line given the duo of nylander and matthews. Hyman is one of the best forcehckers in the league and gets the puck damn well.
And nylander and hyman have some chemistry early on. They have points on each others plays pretty often this year.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Hated Hyman there last year, this year he’s been much better though so props. At times it’s hard to watch him beside Matthews and Nylander because the disparity in skill is so high you almost get annoyed with the constant bumbling of pucks and below average IQ decisions. But, at this point he’s not hindering the line which is all you can ask for a guy like him playing 1st line LW.

Keep it up Hyman!

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I think those that do only dream of higher point totals for Matthews and Nylander. We knew his numbers were likely to rise this year because his shooting % was some kind of freakishly low thing.

Who people are going to play with is going to change from year to year as new guys emerge and older guys move on. I do not get why people worry about it so much or take it personally.

What amazes me more is that all the armchair coaches are convinced the highest paid coach in the game understands the game less than them and only by using their brilliant insights will we reach hockey heaven.

Babcock is not immune to mistakes but if he is doing something he probably has good reasons for it you are not seeing. Considering he has far more information and insight at his disposal he can probably make the more informed decision.
Hyman is fine, he certainly is not hurting us.

One Cup man, in a league where the toughest competition exists he has one Cup. Let’s relax, here there’s nothing wrong with disagreeing with what the coach does. Even redwings fans hated some of his decisions. Nobody is saying they’re a better coach than Babcock, some people didn’t like one decision no need to blow so much smoke.

Was it crazy for the “arm chair” GM’s like myself to believe that a rebuild was necessary? Surely I’m an idiot compared to Burke and Nonis right seeing as they have a mountain full of information I could only dream of....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad