Lightning Rod Hyman: the pyrrhic battle continues

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If he could manage to make more accurate passes with consistency this line would be insane. He is better with that this year than last, but if his hands and IQ matched his forechecking and puck protection skills he would be an elite player.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Could be. I kept saying this last year - why do people assume he can't improve? The guy's a rookie playing in a situation where there was a ton of pressure on him. A year under his belt, a bit more confidence etc., too early to say for sure but Hyman just might be "new and improved". And if he is, watch out rest of the league.
This is why I think a lot of people are either media fed and just develop confirmation bias; how can you look at any player and not expect them to improve on their rookie season? That line of reasoning seems unreasonable.

RLF

May 5, 2014
So 11 pages on Hyman,

Quick summary

Before regular season
Off the 1st line guys-Get him off the top line, he is a 4th liner, no offensive skills, drags down line, overrated forechecker.
Ok on first line guys-excellent forechecker, should be more offensive this year, creates more than just points

After game 1
Off the 1st line guys-He falls down too much, Get him off the top line, he is a 4th liner, no offensive skills and will never have any, drags down line, overrated forechecker.
Ok on first line guys-Had a bad game, needs to be better and should be.

After game 3
Off the 1st line guys-wow, never knew he could play like that, I think he developed some offensive skills, if he plays like that he can stay on first line.
Ok on first line guys-yea, he is playing well.

Does that pretty much sum it up? LOL

Can`t wait to see what the conversation is like after 10 games depending on how Hyman plays.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Hyman has played terrific and in these last two games and if he keeps it up I think he is the perfect linemate for Matthews, and he played well in the playoffs last year, all good signs. This doesn't invalidate criticism leveled towards him and his puck skills are nowhere near top 6 level but, as I've pointed out before, most all of Hyman's critics acknowledged that having a strong forechecker in his spot was a good thing we just wanted him to handle the puck at an NHL level he's done a really good job for two straight games. If Hyman plays like he has I think he is the ideal player in that spot but I need to see alot more of those, also he still sometimes struggles with really simple plays(fails to dump in the puck) and these are still really frustrating.

Babs beat you to it...he was already the perfect linemate for Matthews last year. He was the puck retriever and crap disturber against the opposition on Matthews' line...Gretzky had Semenko as one of his wingers...and no, Matthews is not Wayne, but Semenko is not Hyman either, and in this era of hockey that lacks fighting, a Semenko-type player is obsolete, while a young, tenacious and gritty player like Hyman who could skate is quite valuable.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
One thing I noticed against the Wings was one of the few times the Matthews line was hemmed in Hyman wasn't on the ice.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
He could turn out to be a perfect power forward for today's game. I'm probably more impressed with him than any other player so far this season.

Theres always room for a player to scoop up the garbage around the net. If only he could develop a snap/wrister he could easily become a 15-20 goal scorer.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'll eat crow.

they're the best line in hockey.

:thumbu::thumbu:

Theres always room for a player to scoop up the garbage around the net. If only he could develop a snap/wrister he could easily become a 15-20 goal scorer.

He's on pace to hit 15 goals before the season is even half over. Yeah I know, it's only been 7 games but still, the guy's been really good. I think it might it might be time for people to stop saying if only Hyman could do this, or if only Hyman we're to do that. Hyman is what he is and it looks like he's good, really good and fits perfectly on our top line.

Babcock's a genius.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he gets those hustle points and dirty goals, and is among the best defensive forwards in nhl

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The line works because Mathews and Nylander are elite level talents who have kicked it up another level and would produce with anyone , Hyman's simply a hard working passenger.

Brown has already shown he can do what Hyman does but with a much higher skill level and iq . It's not easy to make the Bozak/JVR combo look somewhat competent defensively but he has , albeit in a small sample size .

RLF

May 5, 2014
The line works because Mathews and Nylander are elite level talents who have kicked it up another level and would produce with anyone , Hyman's simply a hard working passenger.

Brown has already shown he can do what Hyman does but with a much higher skill level and iq . It's not easy to make the Bozak/JVR combo look somewhat competent defensively but he has , albeit in a small sample size .

You don't think the Bozak line looking better also doesn't have to do with a defensively struggling Marner being removed and the message Babcock sent to them? It's interesting how you say anyone would produce with Matthews/Nylander and Hyman is a passenger, yet Brown is so much better than Marner he has single handedly made Bozak/JVR look somewhat defensively competent. Still no bias I see.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You don't think the Bozak line looking better also doesn't have to do with a defensively struggling Marner being removed and the message Babcock sent to them? It's interesting how you say anyone would produce with Matthews/Nylander and Hyman is a passenger, yet Brown is so much better than Marner he has single handedly made Bozak/JVR look somewhat defensively competent. Still no bias I see.

This. Anyone who thinks that the "message" was meant for Marner alone is mistaken.

Reactions: RLF

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I mean, if the line plays like they did last night then even I'll agree not to split them up. That's pretty much as good as a line can play.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This. Anyone who thinks that the "message" was meant for Marner alone is mistaken.

considering when the man goes "the tie goes to the vet." it was clearly a shot across the bow to all three of them, IMO and sort of that "protection/safe environment" Babcock wants to cultivate. you can argue why a 2nd year player can be moved (even as talented as Mitch) but it is drah.mah if it had been JVR/Bozak. (even though i am team: who cares and nail their bum to the press box)

:D

RLF

May 5, 2014
considering when the man goes "the tie goes to the vet." it was clearly a shot across the bow to all three of them, IMO and sort of that "protection/safe environment" Babcock wants to cultivate. you can argue why a 2nd year player can be moved (even as talented as Mitch) but it is drah.mah if it had been JVR/Bozak. (even though i am team: who cares and nail their bum to the press box)

:D
I think if Marner was playing well and the other two were not...one of them would have been moved. Mitch was not playing well though, has the least experience and also the easiest to still teach and develop the right habits moving forward.

Basically I think it was by Babcock ...hey kid, you want to be a core player here going forward, not gonna happen playing like that. Let's work on some things.
Vets-I expect better form you two, you know better. Smarten up. Don't put me in a position where I have to embarrass a vet.

Well played by Babcock.imo Let's hope we see results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->