Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Sir John Franklin's expedition in the Arctic passage. I haven't seen it and I'm pretty hesitant to start it because I know what happened and how it end. Not sure if the fictional retelling will do any good for me.

It’s a fictional drama and not a documentary though. Throw any notion of truth out the window for this show, which borders on the supernatural.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Is it about the French Revolution?

Short version, it is about a pair of ships led by Sir John Franklin searching for the northwest passage. They encounter severe ice and weather in their journey and needless to say, it goes poorly.

The actual mission is well documented and in itself is completely true. Most of the key characters are also real people. The rest of it, well, it is TV and I’ll leave it at that.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I also thought Black Panther was hot garbage, which is unfortunate as I like Coogler (recommend Fruitvale Station). I probably would've walked out had I seen it at the theatre lol. Man there was some janky ass CGI in that movie. Some scenes reminded me of old PS2 games. And it's not like the rest of the movie made up for it.

But I enjoyed Infinity War, thought it was better than the previous ones which I didn't like.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I also thought Black Panther was hot garbage, which is unfortunate as I like Coogler (recommend Fruitvale Station). I probably would've walked out had I seen it at the theatre lol. Man there was some janky ass CGI in that movie. Some scenes reminded me of old PS2 games. And it's not like the rest of the movie made up for it.

But I enjoyed Infinity War, thought it was better than the previous ones which I didn't like.
Same, thought Black Panther was pretty brutal, couldn't get into at all - think I even dozed off for a while

Infinity War redeemed them after Civil War that I thought was bordering on hot garbage

Deadpool 2 was great

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Deadpool 2 tonight at V.I.P. theater. Pretty excited, especially the VIP which is unreal. Free advice, if you havent' watched a movie in VIP do it. $25, but it's 19+ so no kids and seats recline and they have a full menu of food and drinks.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've heard Connor McKenna tout the Netflix series, Fauda this morning. He mentioned that Season 2 was now here.

Looked it up, favorable review on RT.

Premise: A top Israeli agent comes out of retirement to hunt for a Palestinian fighter he thought he'd killed, setting a chaotic chain of events into motion.

Anyone take in Season 1?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Deadpool 2 tonight at V.I.P. theater. Pretty excited, especially the VIP which is unreal. Free advice, if you havent' watched a movie in VIP do it. $25, but it's 19+ so no kids and seats recline and they have a full menu of food and drinks.
Not having to share the cinema with kids is worth the price of admission all by itself.

I saw Deadpool on the weekend. It's fantastic. Brought back memories of all the traffic jams and downtown road closures that were caused by the filming (and the unfortunate death of a stunt person) last summer. Make sure you don't leave your seat when the credits start to roll or you'll miss some bonus material.

Reactions: Habsawce

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Beyond the terrible CGI, nothing about Wakanda made sense.

So you're going to tell me that the most advanced nation on Earth still fights with armored Rhinos and spears? Really?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Is it about the French Revolution?

I'd watch the f*** out of any new docuseries on the french revolution and its aftermath. Seems to be a relevant lesson to revisit that ripping down a corrupt establishment can backfire a tad :sarcasm:

Saw deadpool 2, my arbitrary rating is 7/10. Didn't like it as much as the first one but Cable was a great add and the casting there was on point IMO. That gun really is amazing. Thought the jokes fell flat more than the first. Some superfluous characters as well, Erlach and Blind Al come to mind. I can see the 'continuity' argument coming at me already but it doesn't justify TJ miller sucking the funny out of every scene he's in. This coming from a silicon valley fan and someone who loved his appearance at the big lebowski live reading. Overall, above average action flick with some fun comic tie-ins and 'clin d'oeil'.

Previews got me hyped up for Rami Malek's Freddie Mercury portrayal. Though, I thought it was somewhat amusing to have a Bryan Singer production promoted before a movie that mercilessly pokes fun at pedophiles in its 3rd act :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'd watch the **** out of any new docuseries on the french revolution and its aftermath. Seems to be a relevant lesson to revisit that ripping down a corrupt establishment can backfire a tad :sarcasm:

Saw deadpool 2, my arbitrary rating is 7/10. Didn't like it as much as the first one but Cable was a great add and the casting there was on point IMO. That gun really is amazing. Thought the jokes fell flat more than the first. Some superfluous characters as well, Erlach and Blind Al come to mind. I can see the 'continuity' argument coming at me already but it doesn't justify TJ miller sucking the funny out of every scene he's in. This coming from a silicon valley fan and someone who loved his appearance at the big lebowski live reading. Overall, above average action flick with some fun comic tie-ins and 'clin d'oeil'.

Previews got me hyped up for Rami Malek's Freddie Mercury portrayal. Though, I thought it was somewhat amusing to have a Bryan Singer production promoted before a movie that mercilessly pokes fun at pedophiles in its 3rd act :sarcasm:

Ditto.

It's a shame Singer is still free to roam around. Him and some of his friends.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
After having watched Got, Vikings and the Last Kingdom, it would be pretty easy to do a kickass French Revolution series. That all depends on the taste that American producers have for the French. It's easier to get into English stuff and Vikings and it's about warriors. The French Revolution is citizens waging a war against one another. The late 80s two-movies from France(or was it a TV series?) that I watched in College were so great and bloody, they really spared no one. It was called Les Années Lumiere(The Light Years) and Les Années Tranquilles(The Quiet Years).

Something that they did not even show in those movies and that most people underrate was that the Revolution went bunkers really when France amidst the already big confusion were victim of invasion or the fear of invasion so everybody became paranoid, they didn't know who to trust, who was siding with the invaders, who was a "true French".

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Since we are on the topic of war, I started re-watching Band of Brothers this week. I’ve seen it before and at the time thought it was one of the best mini-series ever. 3 episodes in now and I’m still loving it but if memory serves me correctly, it kinda fizzled out for me near the end as the war was wrapping up.

Reactions: ArsHabs and Redux91

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Agreed. Aside from the garbage CGI, the storylines were straight up crap.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Did they finally start a VIP theatre in Montreal?

The movie theatres in Hong Kong are pretty comfortable to start with, and there's a bar. They also have a VIP one, it's really awesome. Big ass reclining seats, full food menu, freeflow snacks and drinks, small table top attached to chair to place your food, button on chair to call waiter, pillows, blankets, and there's only like 14 seats available. Top notch.
I always wondered why they did not have this back home where the Cinema industry is so much bigger.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Beyond the terrible CGI, nothing about Wakanda made sense.

So you're going to tell me that the most advanced nation on Earth still fights with armored Rhinos and spears? Really?
It's also an incredibly secret and impossible place to find, but some guy finds it no problem because of a map his dad drew about 15 years prior. Meanwhile, my GPS can't find the bar down the street...
And about 5 minutes after walking into this advanced civilization, he challenges its King who has spent his lifetime being trained to become the best of its warriors. So what happens? Well, that American boy disposes of the King in about 2 or 3 minutes of course...Why? Because Navy Seals yo.

The story lines were so bad. I was actually shaking my head during the movie.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
It's also an incredibly secret and impossible place to find, but some guy finds it no problem because of a map his dad drew about 15 years prior. Meanwhile, my GPS can't find the bar down the street...
And about 5 minutes after walking into this advanced civilization, he challenges its King who has spent his lifetime being trained to become the best of its warriors. So what happens? Well, that American boy disposes of the King in about 2 or 3 minutes of course...Why? Because Navy Seals yo.

The story lines were so bad. I was actually shaking my head during the movie.
C'mon, that American boy was trained by Rocky, the king of YO ;)

They've got Gold Class cinemas here in Oz, sounds about the same as Hong Kong with the reclining seats, tough to slum it in regular cinemas after that

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Did they finally start a VIP theatre in Montreal?

The movie theatres in Hong Kong are pretty comfortable to start with, and there's a bar. They also have a VIP one, it's really awesome. Big ass reclining seats, full food menu, freeflow snacks and drinks, small table top attached to chair to place your food, button on chair to call waiter, pillows, blankets, and there's only like 14 seats available. Top notch.
I always wondered why they did not have this back home where the Cinema industry is so much bigger.

I live in Ontario. They didn't serve during the movie, but everything else is pretty good. Like 100 seats in the theater, where a regular theater has like 250. Although it's not as good as Hong Kong apparently, but still a big step up from the regular theater.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
deadpool 2: 8.5/10 Best movie of the year so far with one of the best and funniest scene of all time.

My Sassy Girl (2001) : 7.5/10

Victor Lessard saison 2: 7.3/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad