Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
For anybody who grew up watching The Karate Kid, I just got done watching the first two episodes of Cobra Kai and I gotta say it's surprisingly good. It's a continuation of the original movie starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka. It's hokey and earnest and I like how it incorporates flashbacks from the original. Check it out. It's part of YouTube Red which I am assuming is a premium service. The first two episodes are free and then you gotta pay but you can subscribe to the one month free trial of YT Red if you find you end up liking it.

Cobra Kai

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
For anybody who grew up watching The Karate Kid, I just got done watching the first two episodes of Cobra Kai and I gotta say it's surprisingly good. It's a continuation of the original movie starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka. It's hokey and earnest and I like how it incorporates flashbacks from the original. Check it out. It's part of YouTube Red which I am assuming is a premium service. The first two episodes are free and then you gotta pay but you can subscribe to the one month free trial of YT Red if you find you end up liking it.

Cobra Kai

I’ve seen the trailers and it looked to me that the roles are a little reversed now and Macchio appears to be the bully this time around. Looks interesting.

I know there is a modern day remake of Karate Kid but I refuse to acknowledge it exists.

Reactions: Bryson

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I’ve seen the trailers and it looked to me that the roles are a little reversed now and Macchio appears to be the bully this time around. Looks interesting.

I know there is a modern day remake of Karate Kid but I refuse to acknowledge it exists.

Honestly I love what they did with the story. I had a huge smile on my face through the whole season. The nostalgia factor is through the roof. A far cry from Into the Badlands fight choreography, yes, but I thought it was quite good and the story line is still sufficiently vague to keep me watching - kids who have lost direction, some fall towards the "light side", some fall towards the "dark side", some can be saved, some will switch sides, they will all be influenced by Daniel and Johnny's adult philosophies which haven't yet been clearly defined ...

I did not watch the modern Karate Kid(2010) with Jaden Smith. That kid is a box office poison and terrible actor living off the success and coattails of his charismatic father.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Honestly I love what they did with the story. I had a huge smile on my face through the whole season. The nostalgia factor is through the roof. A far cry from Into the Badlands fight choreography, yes, but I thought it was quite good and the story line is still sufficiently vague to keep me watching - kids who have lost direction, some fall towards the "light side", some fall towards the "dark side", some can be saved, some will switch sides, they will all be influenced by Daniel and Johnny's adult philosophies which haven't yet been clearly defined ...

I did not watch the modern Karate Kid(2010) with Jaden Smith. That kid is a box office poison and terrible actor living off the success and coattails of his charismatic father.
Thanks for this, just watched the first episode - cheesy and bad acting, just like the original, love it :laugh:

Save yourself the torture on the remake, even Jackie Chan couldn't pull that out of the crapper

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Episode 2 of Patrick Melrose is spectacular. Where E. 1 was wonderfully frenetic, almost to a fugue state, E. 2 was linear and absolutely horrifyingly beautiful.

Hugo Weaving is brilliant in nuancing evil incarnate. Must watch.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Episode 2 of Patrick Melrose is spectacular. Where E. 1 was wonderfully frenetic, almost to a fugue state, E. 2 was linear and absolutely horrifyingly beautiful.

Hugo Weaving is brilliant in nuancing evil incarnate. Must watch.

Had no idea Patrick Melrose even existed. So this is a mini series featuring Benedict Cumberbatch. Where is it showing?

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Had no idea Patrick Melrose even existed. So this is a mini series featuring Benedict Cumberbatch. Where is it showing?

I'm watching on Crave. New episode every week. I'm not sure where else it's available, but it's well worth seeking out.

I get Crave as a throw-in with one of my packages so I got to watch weekly episodes of Star Trek Discovery as well.

Reactions: Runner77

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I finally caught up on Westworld S2. As good as it is, I personally found S1 better. I wish Shogunworld lasted an episode longer. The samurai provided a much needed break from all the western stuff.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Cobra Kai

Its fantastic, mostly because I always found Daniel to be the bully even when watching the movie when it first came out.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
John Lithgow is pretty good also. Forgot his character name, but his villain in Cliffhanger, as cheesy as it was, was a good one for him.
Too funny, just finished watching Daddy's Home 2, totally forgot he used to play the bad guys, there was another one with Denzel he was in, Ricochet - it was good when I watched it 20+ years ago

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Too funny, just finished watching Daddy's Home 2, totally forgot he used to play the bad guys, there was another one with Denzel he was in, Ricochet - it was good when I watched it 20+ years ago

Yeah, that was a good role also.

I find it funny (literally) how some actors with comedic backgrounds such as Curry and Lithgow made such good vilains.

Back to Rickman, another great villain was the Sheriff of Nottingham in the Costner Robin Hood movie. That movie I thought was terrible, with the most annoying song ever, but Rickman single-handily made that movie worth watching.

I get how Darth Vader, Hannibal Lector (Hopkins was good but I prefer Mikkelsen) and other iconic villains get the attention, but actors like Lithgow, Rickman, Curry and even Weaving really do a good job of converting what may be bland and boring characters into great ones.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but Oldman's detective character in Leon was fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yeah, that was a good role also.

I find it funny (literally) how some actors with comedic backgrounds such as Curry and Lithgow made such good vilains.

Back to Rickman, another great villain was the Sheriff of Nottingham in the Costner Robin Hood movie. That movie I thought was terrible, with the most annoying song ever, but Rickman single-handily made that movie worth watching.

I get how Darth Vader, Hannibal Lector (Hopkins was good but I prefer Mikkelsen) and other iconic villains get the attention, but actors like Lithgow, Rickman, Curry and even Weaving really do a good job of converting what may be bland and boring characters into great ones.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but Oldman's detective character in Leon was fantastic.

Still, my all-time favorite villain was Weaving in the Matrix trilogy. So many great lines.

Speaking of Oldman, my fav villain of his is in 5th element. He's just down right bat**** crazy in that Besson movie.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Still, my all-time favorite villain was Weaving in the Matrix trilogy. So many great lines.

Speaking of Oldman, my fav villain of his is in 5th element. He's just down right bat**** crazy in that Besson movie.

I think that’s what’s really needed from villains. Just be memorable. I get in action movies, you’d like physical equals (or superiors) to the protagonist, but villains who can resonate on multiple levels with the audience are more memorable.

Sure, Agent Smith can whoop some ass, but Weavings’ lines, his delivery and his presence made it a good role. I mean, when you break it down, it is really a cookie cutter villain but Weaving made it awesome.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Honorable mention to a guy who rarely plays villains, Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden.

He was good in Kalifornia also, though one of my favorite Pitt roles wasn’t a villain. It was his pothead character from True Romance. He was hilarious in that one.

On that note, Christopher Walken (from True Romance)... another great actor as a villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad