Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The last movie I saw was All the Money in the World. That shouldn't last more than one hour.

Despite everything, the scenes are intriguing and keeping you in your seats until the end. The psychology of the billionaire Getty was deciphered from A to Z. Through his behavior and his punchy sentences.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I watched Darkest Hour and Dunkirk almost back to back. Really enjoyed both, felt like the movies were complementing each other very well.

Also finally watched Whiplash, and wow, why did I have to wait so long? The movie's last scene is powerful, powerful stuff.

Reactions: Spooky Actions

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Watched the NF Original -A Futile and Stupid Gesture- about Doug Kenney, the co-founder of National Lampoon's. It's Will Forte portraying Kenney.

If you're a fan of either Forte or Lampoon, you're gonna love this.

For its genre, 7,8/10

Reactions: dinodebino

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I watched Darkest Hour and Dunkirk almost back to back. Really enjoyed both, felt like the movies were complementing each other very well.

Also finally watched Whiplash, and wow, why did I have to wait so long? The movie's last scene is powerful, powerful stuff.

Whiplash was incredible. I watched it twice, and I rarely do that.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The last movie I saw was All the Money in the World. That shouldn't last more than one hour.

Despite everything, the scenes are intriguing and keeping you in your seats until the end. The psychology of the billionaire Getty was deciphered from A to Z. Through his behavior and his punchy sentences.
Pretty unbelievable that they swapped out Spacey for Chris Plummer and reshot almost the entire film in a month.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Loved Dunkirk. That kind of quilted storytelling could fall apart, but it was well done and created a broader scope of what was going on.

Whiplash was really good. JK Simmons is fantastic in almost everything he does. But y'know... some of the over-the-top actions took me out of the scene. There is just no way those things happen in any performance group. Great for dramatic heft; bad for realistic portrayal of ensemble musicianship.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Darkest Hour was great, Gary Oldman did an amazing job.
As for Dunkirk, I didn't really enjoy it. I mean, great shooting scenes but overall, meh.
I didn't know a lot about this battle. Knew what it was about and the big headlines over it, but not in depth, wish they would have explained it better as I still had a bunch of questions. Had to do my own research after.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
No. Worth checking out?

Yes.

I have a suspicion that the longer the show is going to go on - the more its rough edges will show. But that doesn't speak to Simmons. One episode in he has totally sold me. He's great here.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I've been wondering if anyone in here has any insight of Kiefer Sutherland's political allegiances...

From his shows (awful stuff, please do not watch), it feels like he leans to the right, but everything else I've read says otherwise..? I mean his geographical profile doesn't speak to him being a righty, but somehow his choice of TV series does. I simply don't get it.

P.S. Full disclosure - I'm not asking this to support any given political platform. If anything, I'm conservative myself. I'm just truly mystified.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Loved Dunkirk. That kind of quilted storytelling could fall apart, but it was well done and created a broader scope of what was going on.

Whiplash was really good. JK Simmons is fantastic in almost everything he does. But y'know... some of the over-the-top actions took me out of the scene. There is just no way those things happen in any performance group. Great for dramatic heft; bad for realistic portrayal of ensemble musicianship.

Told my wife we were going to watch Dunkirk... She frowned about a war movie... But, she actually liked it!

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Call me by your hame is the movie of the year for me.
The main actir Timothée Chalamet is a star, best performance I have seen in years. Worthy of an Oscar, but of course Gary Oldman will most lilely win it!

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Call me by your hame is the movie of the year for me.
The main actir Timothée Chalamet is a star, best performance I have seen in years. Worthy of an Oscar, but of course Gary Oldman will most lilely win it!
You and my sister should get together. :laugh:

She's been into my ear about the film seemingly forever now.

It's too "ethnic", too self-indulgent of a camera for me personally, but that's always been my opinion on "ethnic" productions (outside of large markets is my blurry classification of the hereby used word "ethnic").

So, while I disagree with your assessment of "Call Me By Your Name", I can certainly appreciate a fresh opinion on the best movie of 2017.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Just watched Linklater’s “Before” trilogy. How come I haven’t seen these until now? The best romantic films I have ever seen probably because they are the most realistic.

Is there a writer/director more proficient at keeping you captivated and love characters as much as we do simply by using dialogue? It’s the same thing with Dazed and Confused as well as Boyhood. He does so much with seemingly so little.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
You and my sister should get together. :laugh:

She's been into my ear about the film seemingly forever now.

It's too "ethnic", too self-indulgent of a camera for me personally, but that's always been my opinion on "ethnic" productions (outside of large markets is my blurry classification of the hereby used word "ethnic").

So, while I disagree with your assessment of "Call Me By Your Name", I can certainly appreciate a fresh opinion on the best movie of 2017.

Usually we would say Indie movie to refer ton independant movies, but the term is rather flexible and can be used to talk about non-mainstream movies in general.

Anyways, Three Bilboards isn't far behind IMO, just a matter of personal taste.
I think that Shape of Water is pretty overrated !

What would be the top movie of 2017 in your opinion?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Usually we would say Indie movie to refer ton independant movies, but the term is rather flexible and can be used to talk about non-mainstream movies in general.

Anyways, Three Bilboards isn't far behind IMO, just a matter of personal taste.
I think that Shape of Water is pretty overrated !

What would be the top movie of 2017 in your opinion?

"Blade Runner 2049" would be my nominee. Sci-fi genre is so far out of my personal movie taste that I'm as shocked as anyone naming this title for the best of 2017. To be honest, in my 25+ years of movie watching experience, I never even thought of putting sci-fi in the conversation for the best movie of any year. I just couldn't believe a 20th century classic could be brought into our current one so gracefully and masterfully. It's a triumph all around in my view.

P.S. Full disclosure, I haven't seen a bunch of surely worthy movies that others might consider, namely "Three Billboards...", "The Post" or "Get Out". I will watch "The Post" absolutely and will do so ASAP though.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Haven't watched 2049 yet, is it similar to the original one?

Because I thought the original one was dreadful. Painful to sit through the entire thing . I do like Villeneuve's work in general, though.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Haven't watched 2049 yet, is it similar to the original one?

Because I thought the original one was dreadful. Painful to sit through the entire thing . I do like Villeneuve's work in general, though.

Of course 2049 is similar, that's the very fine line the sequel threads so successfully in my opinion.

The '82 version you must've seen too late and didn't correlate its significance with its time of release. For a cyberpunk film of that time to flirt with film noir and question the morality of its hero? Unheard of! It will give you as many undertones as you seek to find. It's that rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad