Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I think that’s what’s really needed from villains. Just be memorable. I get in action movies, you’d like physical equals (or superiors) to the protagonist, but villains who can resonate on multiple levels with the audience are more memorable.

Sure, Agent Smith can whoop some ass, but Weavings’ lines, his delivery and his presence made it a good role. I mean, when you break it down, it is really a cookie cutter villain but Weaving made it awesome.

The Wachowski brot... erh.. sisters, made great choices for the actors who played villains. Both the Merovingian and Architect were also great.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He was good in Kalifornia also, though one of my favorite Pitt roles wasn’t a villain. It was his pothead character from True Romance. He was hilarious in that one.

On that note, Christopher Walken (from True Romance)... another great actor as a villain.

Im a huge Walken fan, but he's more typecasted as a loony than an actual villain.

I almost forgot... Hans Landa, Chris Waltz in Inglorious bastards. Another well spoken villain.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Im a huge Walken fan, but he's more typecasted as a loony than an actual villain.

I almost forgot... Hans Landa, Chris Waltz in Inglorious bastards. Another well spoken villain.

That is true about Walken. Sorta always plays the same type of character.

I forgot about Waltz and yes, he was great in Inglorious Basterds.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Watched Ready player one.

What a tire fire that was. Expected so much more based on the reviews. Aside from the nostalgia appeal factor, I thought it was garbage.

Reactions: Zorba

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I was so stoked about RPO, but finally never got around to go see it.

Ill probably enjoy all the easter eggs though.

I don't know, clearly a lot of people enjoyed the movie. But it's a corny teenage love story, a ton of exposition dialogue and jokes falling flat.

Caught myself physically wincing at the screen a couple times.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Tonight is the series finale of The Americans. Looking forward to seeing how all this finishes up tonight. I kinda hope none of the main characters end up dying but I think that may be wishful thinking on my part. Great series and sad to see it go but it had a great 6 year run.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Watched Ready player one.

What a tire fire that was. Expected so much more based on the reviews. Aside from the nostalgia appeal factor, I thought it was garbage.
I turned it off an hour In
What a garbage movie.
Spielberg has gone down hill. How this movies got rated so high is unreal.
Just horrid

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I turned it off an hour In
What a garbage movie.
Spielberg has gone down hill. How this movies got rated so high is unreal.
Just horrid
I think the nostalgia was the key

That and the bar hasn't been set incredibly high last couple of years for movies so just like the Habs people start to look at success more by lowering expectations than by anyone achieving greatness

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Show finale of The Americans last evening, wrapped up with a 1.5 hour episode. It left some questions unanswered but a lot of secrets came out of the bag and there was a sense of satisfaction at least knowing how the main characters will fare. Six years leading up to this. Really enjoyed the series, it was smartly written and well-acted. The casting was superb, it captured the 80s like few other series. On to the next thing.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Show finale of The Americans last evening, wrapped up with a 1.5 hour episode. It left some questions unanswered but a lot of secrets came out of the bag and there was a sense of satisfaction at least knowing how the main characters will fare. Six years leading up to this. Really enjoyed the series, it was smartly written and well-acted. The casting was superb, it captured the 80s like few other series. On to the next thing.
I sort of expected that they would leave a few story lines unfinished or at least ambiguous. Paige stayed to await her fate but we don't get to see it, we don't find out for sure if Renee is a Soviet agent, Martha didn't pop up again. But for the most part I was satisfied with how it played out. Stan had them dead to rights and let them escape because in the end, they were his friends.

Reactions: Runner77

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I finished watching the BBC/Netflix miniseries on Troy. I think that it was very good, and I was surprised by how dark they went with the ending. It's much darker than the 2004 Hollywood movie.

There's an interesting controversy due to them casting a Black man to play Achilles. It is true that Achilles would not have been Black. On the other hand, nobody ever complains when white anglo Saxon protestants get these roles, and further, the actor who played achilles did a fantastic job of communicating nuance. He was each of a romantic, a dreamer, and a testosterone-fueled rage warrior.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I am a big Americans fan.

I thought the finale was okay. I didn’t expect every loose end tied up, and winners and losers etc. I didn’t expect a shootout, it wouldn’t have been fitting.

I didn’t really buy the scene in the garage. Felt a little too pat.

It was a great series though. Glad FX gave it six years. I think this season would have been better at 13 episodes.

Reactions: Laurentide

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yes, I was disappointed Dr. Danko never made an appearance. I remember watching the movie Law Abiding Citizen whenGerard Butler was dicing that guy up, Danko came to mind immediately for me.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I loved Ready Player One. Never read the book or comic or whatever it was based on either. I just really enjoyed it. Thought the previews looked god awful, but my friend paid for my ticket so I went. It was great to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad