Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Oh no ... what happened? I had no idea. She's one of those actresses who wasn't always in the news but surfaced now and again. RIP.

I believe she suffered from mental illness for many years.

The first time I ever saw Margot Kidder was in grade school in an NFB film they ran in class. There was a very racy scene (she must have been teenaged in that role) where she and a young man were engaging in exploratory sexual endeavours in the back of an ambulance. Hehe it clearly made an impression as I still remember it to this day.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'm intrigued about these shed parties. Is that the equivalent of a "man cave" gathering, except it happens at ground level? The one they showed on Parts Unknown was pretty bare bones -- a few Christmas lights hanging on unfinished walls, a couple of tables and chairs in the middle. Thazzit.
It could be someones garage or a big storage shed, I have even seen bands set up in them and usually it is bare bones but sometimes there is food prepared and always booze, plenty of booze.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It could be someones garage or a big storage shed, I have even seen bands set up in them and usually it is bare bones but sometimes there is food prepared and always booze, plenty of booze.

Goes to show you how little one needs to get a party going. Accessories are overrated. It's about friends and sharing a laugh.

As one of my friends puts it whenever we get together with other friends in his backyard, "we'll try to solve the world's problems for a couple of hours". And laugh at ourselves for attempting it.

Although, what is particular about the garage or shed party as it was portrayed in the Newfoundland segment, sheds are not as common in certain cities. You'll have your garages all right, but gatherings don't tend to happen there -- people will use the backyard or a basement. So, the fact of seeing it in a shed may not look unusual to someone living in Newfoundland but to an outsider, it's a curiosity as it may not be common within their own community.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Has anyone tried the British show "Line of Duty"? I just finished the second season and I really like it. It's been awhile since I've binge watched something like this.

It's about an anti-corruption unit (cops investigating corrupted cops). They're are moments that annoy me a bit (moments where you're thinking "why would this character ever do this" kind of thing) but, all-in-all, the intrigues are very well put together and quite interesting.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I believe she suffered from mental illness for many years.

The first time I ever saw Margot Kidder was in grade school in an NFB film they ran in class. There was a very racy scene (she must have been teenaged in that role) where she and a young man were engaging in exploratory sexual endeavours in the back of an ambulance. Hehe it clearly made an impression as I still remember it to this day.

hey
Has anyone tried the British show "Line of Duty"? I just finished the second season and I really like it. It's been awhile since I've binge watched something like this.

It's about an anti-corruption unit (cops investigating corrupted cops). They're are moments that annoy me a bit (moments where you're thinking "why would this character ever do this" kind of thing) but, all-in-all, the intrigues are very well put together and quite interesting.

I love that series and I had the same gripes as you had with regards to how some characters behaved but overall it is great. I still remember sympathizing partly with that high shot detective from season 1 when one of the female leads went to work for him undercover and he got himself deeper and deeper into trouble.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I move that we have a draft party in a Newfoundland shed, with massive amounts of lobster and beer ready to go.

What's the lobster availability and quality like around June 23rd? :sarcasm:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I move that we have a draft party in a Newfoundland shed, with massive amounts of lobster and beer ready to go.

What's the lobster availability and quality like around June 23rd? :sarcasm:
Lobster season ends July 1st so you should be good. We will probably end up tossing empty beer bottles at the tv screen once Bergevin walks to the podium though. Things might get rowdy.:laugh:

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I love that series and I had the same gripes as you had with regards to how some characters behaved but overall it is great. I still remember sympathizing partly with that high shot detective from season 1 when one of the female leads went to work for him undercover and he got himself deeper and deeper into trouble.

Yeah and I really like that actor too. That's what put this show on my radar in the first place. Saw him playing Morgan in Walking Dead and was wondering what else he's done. That first season was a great story.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah and I really like that actor too. That's what put this show on my radar in the first place. Saw him playing Morgan in Walking Dead and was wondering what else he's done. That first season was a great story.

He was so intense, I still remember the close-ups of him when he got deeper and deeper into trouble and he keeps stroking his jaw just trying to stay focused.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
This week's Parts Unknown had Anthony Bourdain in Newfoundland. Anyone partake?
I enjoyed the episode. I laughed when Bourdain sampled the pork scrunchions and said that he could picture himself sitting on the couch wearing nothing but a pair of s*** stained underpants and eating scrunchions all day long, lol.

The two chefs from Montreal who he brought with him to Newfoundland were the guys from Joe Beef who were featured in a previous episode where he visits Montreal, also a great episode.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Just finished the latest episode of The Americans. That show still remains one of the best TV shows currently on TV IMO. Only 3 episodes left in the series and it should be interesting how all this clues up. Things are starting to heat up and I don't see a happy ending for some of the characters.

I'm really liking this season of Billions as well.
As sad as it will be when the show is finally over I cannot wait to see just how it ends. There's so much "there" still there. Is Stan's girlfriend actually a spy and, if so, for which side? Will Martha re-appear one last time? I'm pretty sure that Stan is going to figure it all out, probably in the next episode, but will he survive? Was Phillip buying that double-breasted suit to wear in his own coffin? Will the finale be a bloodbath with everyone dying in a hail of bullets? Can't wait!

I've been waiting for Billions to get going again. How many episodes have aired so far?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
As sad as it will be when the show is finally over I cannot wait to see just how it ends. There's so much "there" still there. Is Stan's girlfriend actually a spy and, if so, for which side? Will Martha re-appear one last time? I'm pretty sure that Stan is going to figure it all out, probably in the next episode, but will he survive? Was Phillip buying that double-breasted suit to wear in his own coffin? Will the finale be a bloodbath with everyone dying in a hail of bullets? Can't wait!

I've been waiting for Billions to get going again. How many episodes have aired so far?

Yeah there's lots of things left to be resolved with only 2 episodes left in the series. The final 2 episodes should be jammed packed and like you I can't wait to see how all this ends and see who gets out alive. I think Stan already pretty much knows. When he met with the guy in the diner in the last episode and showed him a picture of Elizabeth he said he didn't really remember her face but did say she smoked like a chimney. The look on Stan's face pretty much confirmed it for him IMO. Should be a action packed final 2 episodes.

As for Billions.. It's already aired 8 episodes so far this season. This season has been pretty good as well IMO. So many great characters on Billions but Wags is my favorite. :)

Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah there's lots of things left to be resolved with only 2 episodes left in the series. The final 2 episodes should be jammed packed and like you I can't wait to see how all this ends and see who gets out alive. I think Stan already pretty much knows. When he met with the guy in the diner in the last episode and showed him a picture of Elizabeth he said he didn't really remember her face but did say she smoked like a chimney. The look on Stan's face pretty much confirmed it for him IMO. Should be a action packed final 2 episodes.

As for Billions.. It's already aired 8 episodes so far this season. This season has been pretty good as well IMO. So many great characters on Billions but Wags is my favorite. :)
Yeah David Costabile's "Wags" is great, just as his character "Dale" was in "Breaking Bad".

In reality, Stan always knew, he just didn't know he knew. He snuck into the Jenningses garage in the very first episode of the series for reasons even he couldn't quite understand at the time. Now he's definitely beginning to see the light. I don't think we will have to wait until the last episode to see him put that part of the puzzle together.

Reactions: sheed36

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'll help empty them, happily! Lobster party on the beach!!! I'll fire up a scoff!

I can see you playing the Anthony Bourdain role in our group. And the rest of us will happily enjoy being scoffers for a few hours.

We're going to need Sheed36 to organize the whole thing, including providing translation services for Newfoundland expressions. We'll do the draft and head out for more lobster, lol.

Is there one "e" too many in Sheed36? Might mean Shed no. 36 for all we know. Hey, maybe this was meant to be after all.

Reactions: groovejuice

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Deadpool 2 was sooo good, I'd say the plot is better in the first movie but the jokes are a step in front for sure. They did it again, so many dc comics and marvel inside joke

I have to say though, not that hard to beat the plot of the first movie. lol It's like they wrote the jokes first and then wrote the plot on a napkin.

------------------------

Watched The Last Kingdom upon recommendation from a friend that knew I liked Vikings. I've liked it so far although I don't love it as much as Vikings. It's hard to find another Travis Finnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad