Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Did it feel like a reboot or is it more original? I feel likr Ryan Johnson is the type of director to try something different

Imo, it definitely had an original feel, but of course like the originals, it had a good amount of cheesiness to it. The one liners and quick comedy scenes. The 1st half of the movie was good but slower, while the 2nd half really picked up the pace. The wife and I both really enjoyed it. I'm excited to see what he does with the 3 new ones that have all new characters and storyline.

In terms of Star Wars movies....8.5/10

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Imo, it definitely had an original feel, but of course like the originals, it had a good amount of cheesiness to it. The one liners and quick comedy scenes. The 1st half of the movie was good but slower, while the 2nd half really picked up the pace. The wife and I both really enjoyed it. I'm excited to see what he does with the 3 new ones that have all new characters and storyline.

In terms of Star Wars movies....8.5/10
Nice thanks. I like the cheese and and was hoping for something with the good old star wars feel but a few twists and turns. Seems like I'll enjoy this movie quite a bit.

Just out of curiosity, you rated this 8.5 but what would you rate the originals?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Binged Mindhunter this week. Amazing watch. The best crime/drama series this year bar none, maybe even all genres.
I don't think Mindhunter can be classified as crime because it doesn't feature enough of its detection which is mandatory IMO. Ironically enough the very few scenes of what was present were my very favorites. Just nitpicking on your definition of the series, not trying to take anything away from it.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't think Mindhunter can be classified as crime because it doesn't feature enough of its detection which is mandatory IMO. Ironically enough the very few scenes of what was present were my very favorites. Just nitpicking on your definition of the series, not trying to take anything away from it.

I know what you mean but for all intents and purposes it's close enough to a crime drama. It's detection is sprinkled quite a bit through the season but yeah it is different.

Agree, that it's fantastic. **VERY SORT OF NOT A SPOILER** I like how no nonsense it is. Not a lot of side crap going on.

Definitely one of my favourite tv shows of the year.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Did it feel like a reboot or is it more original? I feel likr Ryan Johnson is the type of director to try something different

I would say it is very different and i loved it. Depends on how you feel about Star Wars. It's not made for the 40yo geek fans who spend the last 2 years making dark and long theory about the movie. (That's why some have bad opinions about it).

It's fun, new, fresh, unexpected and action packed. The 3D is awesome....for me, it is really one epic movie even if somethings bother me a little. One of the best star wars for sure 9.2/10.

Binged Mindhunter this week. Amazing watch. The best crime/drama series this year bar none, maybe even all genres.

Loved it too.....then go watch Manhunt: Unabom (got out this week i think).
Same feel to it, based on true events also.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
For those who are interested in old fashioned mysteries, there is one on Netflix that I'd recommend. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Starring Essie Davis, it's a very well made Australian series in the realm of the Murdoch series.

The production values are much higher than Murdoch and the locations, props and wardrobe are spectacular for a period piece.

The themes are a bit more adult oriented than Murdoch and although there are moments of humour, it's not the buffoonery that is so often distracting.

Overall if you enjoyed the British style of Poirot or Father Brown, this series is for you.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Last epesode Lagertha made me fall in love with her after that "scene" lol i'm sure you know witch one. What an animal that woman is... I've never been more turned on in my life by a woman with her clothes on lol.

I wouldn't mind being Lagertha's prisoner if that was how I was going to be treated. :) I certainly didn't expect that scene to play out like that.

I finally got to see the Lagertha episode you were both referring to. Season 5, Episode 2, available on demand, from the History Channel.

What an appetite.

And the startled recipient of her favors, blurts out: "What are you doing, woman?" Further confirming that stuff like this only happens in films, lol.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Just finished Westworld, I loved it especially episodeds 7-10 and I will definitely be watching season 2. Is there another great series I should be looking for?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just finished Westworld, I loved it especially episodeds 7-10 and I will definitely be watching season 2. Is there another great series I should be looking for?

Try Travelers on Netflix. Season 2 has aired on Showtime and will also be showing on Netflix soon if it hasn't happened already. Loved it.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You did well. It's fast becoming unwatchable. I don't understand how you can the most watch show on tv, see the rating drop and not only not address the public complaint but double down on it.

I just got tired of more of the same, I spot watched it last year and felt like nothing was happening, it looks like they are just running on idle and the whole thing does not inspire me, I still like the shows music intro though, gives me the creeps.:laugh:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Also is just me or their production values have gone down in recent seasons? From what I remember, S1 had a much more cinematic feel to it than whatever it is that's going on right now.

From sloppy dialogue and inconsistent plot details to shoddy editing and bad choreography-- just looks like a really substandard product the last time I checked.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I finished up BBC's Blue Planet II over the weekend and it was fantastic stuff. The BBC really does these type of documentaries right.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Series I will be up to date soon:
Peaky Blinders
The Punisher
Mr Robot
Vikings

I've enjoyed them all. Of that list, Peaky Blinders is my fave, but only by the smallest of margins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad