Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
For those who are interested in old fashioned mysteries, there is one on Netflix that I'd recommend. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Starring Essie Davis, it's a very well made Australian series in the realm of the Murdoch series.

The production values are much higher than Murdoch and the locations, props and wardrobe are spectacular for a period piece.

The themes are a bit more adult oriented than Murdoch and although there are moments of humour, it's not the buffoonery that is so often distracting.

Overall if you enjoyed the British style of Poirot or Father Brown, this series is for you.

I agree. It's a very nice series to watch, if not at all serious or engrossing. I saw it a while ago and I don't think its latest season (was is 3rd?) was on Netflix at the time. Is it now? Or perhaps there is another one out by now? I haven't been following the show.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I finished up BBC's Blue Planet II over the weekend and it was fantastic stuff. The BBC really does these type of documentaries right.
BBC is the golden standard of TV productions IMO and easily rivals anything we have this side of the pond, including the likes of HBO & AMC. BBC's themes fit my personal style much better.

Reactions: sheed36

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I agree. It's a very nice series to watch, if not at all serious or engrossing. I saw it a while ago and I don't think its latest season (was is 3rd?) was on Netflix at the time. Is it now? Or perhaps there is another one out by now? I haven't been following the show.

I'm glad that someone else has watched the series and enjoyed it. It's not the usual fare that is discussed in this thread.

@GoodKiwi there is a third season on Netflix, but unlike the previous 13 episode seasons, this one is only 8. I'm speculating that the series may have been cancelled, so it was wrapped up.

It's visually stunning and Essie Davis steals every scene she's in, which is virtually every single one. As you say, it's hardly beyond light-hearted, even with a crime motif, but it is eminently entertaining.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Last Jedi 8/10

IMO, it's the most unique SW episode so far.

There are definitely a few ouate de phoque moments; Leia finally using the force, Snokes so powerful yet ends way too quickly, so now Kylo is the only villain left for E9? Really sad irony that Luke dies, yet Leia who survives, is the the one can't come back for E9, although I guess we'll probably see both, as CGI and force ghost.

Dayum i'm still not over Snokes being offed so quickly. Underwhelming, to say the least. And I'm really wondering where they'll go with the next one.

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
Just finished Godless, good little mini-serie. A little bit slow at first but like every Western i guess. Jeff Daniels is great in this show.

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
Series I will be up to date soon:
Peaky Blinders
The Punisher
Mr Robot
Vikings

I've enjoyed them all. Of that list, Peaky Blinders is my fave, but only by the smallest of margins.

Peaky Blinders is an amazing show. One of my favorite for sure... i just love the style and there is a lot of great characters in it.

All the others serie your curently watching are really good. You should watch Black Sails if you have time, amazing show and one of the most underrated out there (season 1 is the weakest but the show get better every season).

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
If i had to list 10/10's, there'd be a few I'd choose:
10/10 - True Detective, season 1
10/10 - Boardwalk Empire
10/10 - Narcos, season 1 & 2

for comparison:
9/10 - Breaking Bad
8/10 - Mindhunters
8/10 - Fargo, season 1
7/10 - Godless
7/10 - Hell on Wheels

Reactions: PhysicX

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Last Jedi 8/10

There are definitely a few ouate de phoque moments; Leia finally using the force, Snokes so powerful yet ends way too quickly, so now Kylo is the only villain left for E9? Really sad irony that Luke dies, yet Leia who survives, is the the one can't come back for E9, although I guess we'll probably see both, as CGI and force ghost.

Dayum i'm still not over Snokes being offed so quickly. Underwhelming, to say the least. And I'm really wondering where they'll go with the next one.
1/10 for me. Worst one, and yes, worse than Phantom Menace.

Despite Stormtroopers, iconic music and lightsabers it still couldn't accidentally feel like a Star Wars movie. It was a modest at best Avengers sequel.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
10/10 - Boardwalk Empire

for comparison:
9/10 - Breaking Bad
8/10 - Mindhunters
8/10 - Fargo, season 1
7/10 - Godless
7/10 - Hell on Wheels
I've never watched one of those 10s! What would your rating for Game of Thrones be? Because to me that was one of my most deeply binged shows ever. Made it through the first 6 seasons in a less than 3 weeks. And I'm not one to watch much TV!

Breaking Bad would be at the top of my list too.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
10/10 - Boardwalk Empire

for comparison:
9/10 - Breaking Bad
8/10 - Mindhunters
8/10 - Fargo, season 1
7/10 - Godless
7/10 - Hell on Wheels
True Detective, Season 1 is my favorite season of any show ever. It beats GoT, The Wire, etc.

I'm going to rewatch it real soon.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Last Jedi 8/10

To avoid ruining it for others my post will be in the spoiler

There is a theory out that Snoke knew he was going to get killed and let it happen. Mainly to solidify Kylo Ren's turn to the Dark side. The things he can do and says don't really line up with what we saw. He talks about how he knows exactly what Kylo is thinking. Or how he linked the minds of Rey and Kylo. His face looks scarres and disfigured which reminds me of Berric Dondarion, from Game of Thrones, who gets revived multiple times. Whether Snoke does it himself or someone does it for him, I doubt it will be the last we see of him.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Haven't seen Future Man mentioned but it's a pretty funny show. Seth Rogen produced it. Think Back to the Future with Terminator 2 & the Last Starfighter.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Haven't seen Future Man mentioned but it's a pretty funny show. Seth Rogen produced it. Think Back to the Future with Terminator 2 & the Last Starfighter.

Thanks for the heads up. Watching the pilot right now. Wish it were on Netflix, I hate watching stuff off my laptop. But hey, better than not having access to it.

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
Star Wars was fine. Like, if you go back and watch the originals, they're cheesy and tacky as hell. So, it's not like the new ones get away from that. They are what they.
Agreed the cheesy moments have always been there, but... Too many WTF moments, and all the mystery, suspense and expectations JJ Abrahams built with EP 7 were not carried on at all nor developped the proper way IMO by Rian Johnson. Will rewatch, I probably missed some details here and there, but it’s not more than a 5/10 for me.

Messa thinks it is still less painful than Phantom Menace. :help:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just watched the entire 7th season of Game of Thrones last night. Trully was magnificent. There are no Tv shows or movies that can match these people. It's the perfect mix of art and entertainment as I've ever seen.

The next step in entertainment evolution. 7 to 10 mini-movies every year since 2011 with great wrting, acting, characterization and visual effects(really these are the best, most realistic dragons I've ever seen). They embarrass any filmakers or studios that come up with any of the super-hero movies or Starwars.

I don't know if these 2 guys, these producers that came up with it knew this would turn out the way it did. And if they did, they are geniuses and visionaries.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Agreed the cheesy moments have always been there, but... Too many WTF moments, and all the mystery, suspense and expectations JJ Abrahams built with EP 7 were not carried on at all nor developped the proper way IMO by Rian Johnson. Will rewatch, I probably missed some details here and there, but it’s not more than a 5/10 for me.

Messa thinks it is still less painful than Phantom Menace. :help:

Me thinks you should wait for E9 for answers regarding the build up.

A lot of people are expecting Snokes to not be dead and his back story will be in the forefront in E9. The trick used by Luke in the end was probably also used by Snokes. There's a definitive link between Palpatine, Plageius and Snokes, look up the Dwartii statues. They were in Plageius' collection before Palpatine took them as his own (you can see them in Palpatine's office in E2&3). Snokes wore a peculiar ring in E8 which had Dwartii symbology on it. The Dwartii were 4 founding figures from when the old republic was formed. One of those 4 figures espoused looking into the Dark side. This doesn't seem as much, but it's not the only clue. On Achto, close to the Jedi tree, there's a disc on the floor, which shows the Ashan & Bogan symbology of the first force users. The figure in the symbol looks a helluva lot like Snokes. The first republic was founded by the Ashan (light side) followers. My feeling is that there will be A LOT of content and revelations in E9 which will give a lot more sense to E8.

Reactions: DesmondDekker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad