Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I watched The House on Sorority Row over the weekend, I'd give it an approximate 6.143 out of 10.2211

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I saw the Wizard of Lies with DeNiro and was quite disappointed. It seemed hastily written and half-assedly executed.

Of course, given the subject matter, maybe the feel of going for a quick pay cheque was the point. :sarcasm:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Went to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yesterday. Of course very entertaining. Drax stole the show. The last act was a bit much, though. It seems like those movies go a little too much action heavy toward the end and you zone out.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I started watching it after I finished HoC. It is hilarious. So glad I decided to watch it. Colt Luger is the man though :laugh:

Your suggestion to watch this was A-1. Did you the one where he talks about the oldest profession in the world? It's not what one would normally think. So politically incorrect. :laugh:

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Your suggestion to watch this was A-1. Did you the one where he talks about the oldest profession in the world? It's not what one would normally think. So politically incorrect. :laugh:

That joke was good. The whole show is great. Even when you notice inconsistencies it's hilarious. I noticed 2 in one episode. The lasagna is 1/4, then empty, then full in the span of a minute. Then later his wife is a switch hitter for some reason :laugh:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Wonder Woman: 7,2/10

Way better than the last 2 DC movies.

An average blockbuster with good action, sub-par dialog and acting from the lead actress.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That joke was good. The whole show is great. Even when you notice inconsistencies it's hilarious. I noticed 2 in one episode. The lasagna is 1/4, then empty, then full in the span of a minute. Then later his wife is a switch hitter for some reason :laugh:

Good eye. I guess the imperfections make the show all the more endearing. There are some adult sequences in there even if kids are a big part of the show. That he-man neighbor with the handlebar mustache, he kills me. I've known people like that, it's just so spot on. :laugh:

On a different level, I once again couldn't turn away from the America's Got Talent franchise as it opened its new show last week. Love it or hate it, some of those acts are just so emotionally charged, you can't help but have a rooting interest. The show harkens back to the most basic of American entertainment -- it does it all, minus a big circus tent and an over-dependence on animal acts. And yes, it's brainless entertainment for the most part.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Good eye. I guess the imperfections make the show all the more endearing. There are some adult sequences in there even if kids are a big part of the show. That he-man neighbor with the handlebar mustache, he kills me. I've known people like that, it's just so spot on. :laugh:

Vic. He's voiced by Sam Rockwell. The interactions between Vic and Bill are so good. Vic is aloof to Bill's utter hatred of him :laugh: Especially the episode where Bill asks him for tickets to the Shire of Frodo tickets.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Vic. He's voiced by Sam Rockwell. The interactions between Vic and Bill are so good. Vic is aloof to Bill's utter hatred of him :laugh: Especially the episode where Bill asks him for tickets to the Shire of Frodo tickets.

That guy is so good. I'm looking forward to finishing the first season. Looking so promising, I'm hooked. Thanks so much for recommending it.

By the way, have you been watching Silicon Valley? Gilfoyle is over the top. Everything he does and says takes the show to a whole other level. His character is brilliantly written combined with the actor's demeanor creates a lethal comedic combo.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
That guy is so good. I'm looking forward to finishing the first season. Looking so promising, I'm hooked. Thanks so much for recommending it.

By the way, have you been watching Silicon Valley? Gilfoyle is over the top. Everything he does and says takes the show to a whole other level. His character is brilliantly written combined with the actor's demeanor creates a lethal comedic combo.

One of my favourite shows on TV right now. The whole cast is awesome. Jian-Yang has grown on me the last two seasons. Gilfoyle and Dinesh have great back and forth scenes. Especially recently with the phone debacle :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One of my favourite shows on TV right now. The whole cast is awesome. Jian-Yang has grown on me the last two seasons. Gilfoyle and Dinesh have great back and forth scenes. Especially recently with the phone debacle :laugh:

Or with that new fridge they bought. And that Gilfoyle performed some magic upon. :laugh:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

The doctor making fun of Richard's sex life was hilarious. Great show.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Adam West Passed

R.I.P. Batman.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/06/10/adam-west-batman-dead-at-88/

6a010536b86d36970c017c31f91b21970b-pi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I missed the Comicon convention he was at a couple of years ago and now regret it even more. What an iconic tv character.

RIP caped crusader.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I saw the Wonder Woman movie last night with some friends.

It's a well-made movie. The excellent directing, acting, design, and cinematography more than compensated for what was a relatively mediocre screenplay, which is a bit of an unusual situation. I liked it and they did a good job with some situations, for example when Diana confronts the British generals.

It's the first-ever live-action movie with a 100+ million dollar budget directed by a woman. Out if the 300+ previous ones, this is the first time that Hollywood thought a woman might be competent enough to do the job. It therefore helps that Patty Jenkins, a very talented and skilled director, was the person in charge, as she's setting the standard. There are a lot of scenes in there that would have been completely insufferable had they been handled by a lesser director. The whole second act in London was completely sublime, in spite of being corny material. For example there's an absolutely hilarious ice cream scene, it should be irritatingly cheesy, but the directing and the acting make it work. I loved the ice cream scene.

There's also feminist methodology in the movie which I'll describe as competent. It's been stated many times by many people that in these kinds of movies, female characters are objectified, and male characters are idealized. Visualize the difference between a "boob and butt shot" and a "power shot". In more recent years, we've also seen male characters be objectified as well, for example Chris Hemsworth. I've been wondering what an idealized cinematography of female characters would look like, and the movie answers that very quickly. It's seamless. As far as I can tell, Diana is fully idealizes. Moreover, she never falls prey to the Madonna/***** dichotomy.

The movie did not do what I was afraid it would do. WW is about Diana going up against Ares (the god of war) in a World War 1 backdrop. I was afraid that the movie would reveal that Ares is orchestrating world war I, that would be spectacularly dumb and on par with what we see in a lot of these movies. All smart viewers know that world war I is the product of evil intrinsic to man, and we shouldn't hide that from kids. That's not what happens in the movie. The evil of man in the movie is very much ... the evil of man. The god of war just hangs around to revel in the fun of it. He's not orchestrating world war I, he's enjoying the show. There's a great scene where Diana realizes that people are killing each other independently of the god of war, and she's horrified. She wanted to excuse the war as being due to magical manipulation, but that's not it, evil is within the nature of man.

It was also good to watch as a DC comics fan. I really enjoyed Man of Steel, but Batman v Superman is legitimately one of the dumbest pieces of **** that I have ever seen. It left a bad taste in my mouth, and the first few minutes of Wonder Woman was a palette cleanser, with the rest of the movie being enjoyable on its own. I literately thought to myself, about two minutes in, "oh, right, this is what a good DC comics movie feels like".

Wonder Woman is a good traditional hero's epic, very much influenced by Richard Donner's Superman.

Grade: B+

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I just watched The Blackcoat's Daughter

everyone should watch The Blackcoat's Daughter

my first 10 on imdb since Whiplash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events