Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think Nylander is the best player on the Leafs and should get a nice number. I think around 11.5 is more than fair for Drai.
$11.5M would be a home run for the Oilers. Once MacKinnon and Matthews signed for $12.6M and $13.25M I think the bar was set. It would not surprise me to see him come in in that range. Maybe he'll press for $13.3M.

I actually think it is McDavid who will settle for a lot less than he could get. 8 x $14M is my target. Heavily front loaded with signing bonuses covering almost the whole deal is how they can make it a little more attractive.

Beyond these two it is the Bouchard deal that is going to be a key. Right now he is looking at a big raise. The one saving grace is the deals that guys like Makar, Fox and Hughes signed. If Bouchard is a ppg player over the next two years he is looking at $8M+ because of arbitration. The smart move for the team would be to try and keep the number down by going say 4 years which would only eat up 2 UFA years I believe.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
12.5x8 is wishful thinking, big time.
I think 14x8 is realistic, could be up 15 if Drai really squeezes them.

I think Nylander is the best player on the Leafs and should get a nice number. I think around 11.5 is more than fair for Drai.
Drai is leaps and bounds better than Nylander outside of this season, that's not remotely realistic.

The 5 seasons prior to this one...

Nylander
54 Games - 7G, 27P
68 Games - 31G, 59P
51 Games - 17G, 42P
81 Games - 34G, 80P
82 Games - 40G, 87P

Draisaitl
82 Games - 50G, 105P
71 Games - 43G, 110P
56 Games - 31G, 84P
80 Games - 55G, 110P
80 Games - 52G, 128P

If Nylander is worth 11.5m, Drai's market is like 15m+. It's like comparing the 25th best player in the league to a top 3 player. This season which is a big drop from his normal numbers is close to Nylander's peak year.

Man, just looking at those numbers Drai is a generational offensive player, what a monster. We knew this already but looking at the numbers is eye opening. He'll be getting a blank check from the Oilers or another team.

Last edited:

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Looks like Drai's doing us a solid and bringing down his next contract value. Good guy.

Reactions: oil Leaks

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
15M would be TERRIBLE for Drai lol

I hope it sits at high 11 or 12 something

Lets be really honest. He has stepped up bigtime in the playoffs and is a vital guy. We need to keep him

But he does not put the numbers he has without McDavid. Take McDavid off of this team for a whole year. How do they do as Drai as #1C? What does Drai produce?

He looks like the weakest guy on that Foegele line a lot of nights.

I don't mind the blank cheque stuff, but keep it realistic. Somewhere in 12's would be good. High 11 would be great.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
12.5 x 8 is my guess.
I think you’re in the right area code which would be a club bargain for a guy who has been undervalued for most of this last contract and is a Hart Trophy superstar. He’s not having a defining career season but his play is still well above average. He’s 2 points behind Matthews and he signed for 13.250, shorter term.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I hope it sits between 12 or 13 something. If it starts at 11, I will be a happy camper. 14 will be a tough pill to swallow but I probably still do it

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
He's going to sign for 8x14 and defer 12 million each year for the duration, then have the club payout the rest over his retirement years.
Unless Katz is cash poor, I’m not sure deferrals is a big concern to the club. I mean I get that it helps immediate cash flows but it doesn’t do anything for the immediate cap gymnastics they need to get through.

I'm more of the mindset that the team could use bonus structures of payment up front as a way to entice Leon to a slightly lower overall cap hit than what the market might fetch, as they get their cash NOW and can invest it and make a steady stream of income elsewhere with it.

Few teams have cash flows to have that type of structure for a contract that will be this size. MLSE, MSG, can’t think of many others.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
If we win the cup it might be time for a trade. We won't be able to afford McDavid and Bouchard and Draisaitl and Nurse. Might be able to scrape it together but will greatly hinder the rest of the team. Skinner if we win the cup will be more as well.

Seems we will have to select Draisaitl or McDavid. I know who I pick.

Remember, I'd be fired.

Reactions: oljimmy

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If we win the cup it might be time for a trade. We won't be able to afford McDavid and Bouchard and Draisaitl and Nurse. Might be able to scrape it together but will greatly hinder the rest of the team. Skinner if we win the cup will be more as well.

Remember, I'd be fired.

Nope. You sign McDavid and Draisaitl for 8 years at whatever they want and figure out the rest of the team around them.

I might be the biggest Bouchard booster on this board but if the choice is him or Drai that's not a choice at all.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

Remember, I'd be fired.
I think people are underestimating the McDavid Draisaitl BFF factor. I mean, these guys are joined at the dick and sluffing off Leon for cap reasons will not sit well with Connor's ride or die.

This is really where having a good GM will be a necessity. When you have those players on your team you do everything you can to keep them, it's then up to the GM to get creative to build a roster around those two with the remaining cap money.

If Drai comes in at 14 mil, and McDavid 16 mil, you then have roughly 70 mil to build around them. That's just the reality of having two players that good, who want to continue to play together for as long as possible.

• Wow
Reactions: Oildrum and ZJuice

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The difference between McDavid and Drai is not 2M per. If Drai is making 14M then McDavid is commanding 20M+ or whatever is the league max.

Difference between McD and Drai is greater than difference between Drai and Hyman/Nuge/Kane.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Ugg nylander signing at 11.5 really puts this negotiation in a rough spot

I think our best hope is we win the Cup this year, and mcd/drai have a handshake deal at 30 mil between them

Reactions: Oildrum

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't see Drai signing for anything less than $13 million AAV. I'm guessing his AAV will be in the $13-$14.5 million range.

McDavid will be $15 million or more.

I had hopes that they'd take a bit of a discount the last time around and it didn't pan out that way. Both outperformed their deals, but if they really want a shot at winning here they might want to look at leaving some $ on the table.

Reactions: Messrules11

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I don't see Drai signing for anything less than $13 million AAV. I'm guessing his AAV will be in the $13-$14.5 million range.

McDavid will be $15 million or more.

I had hopes that they'd take a bit of a discount the last time around and it didn't pan out that way. Both outperformed their deals, but if they really want a shot at winning here they might want to look at leaving some $ on the table.

I'd hope they leave money on the table.

But then I put myself in their shoes and see the team spend 5 million on Jack Campbell.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Ugg nylander signing at 11.5 really puts this negotiation in a rough spot

I think our best hope is we win the Cup this year, and mcd/drai have a handshake deal at 30 mil between them

Pasta was a much better comparison, somehow the leafs screwed themselves and us all in one contract. This could be Nurse all over again.

How they sign Nylander to a bigger contract than Pasta boggles my mind.

Goals per game:
Pastrnak = 0.52
Drai = 0.48
Nylander = 0.35

You're paying these guys to score goals. Maybe we could get away with 12mil/year but I agree it will be likely 13+ now.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd hope they leave money on the table.

But then I put myself in their shoes and see the team spend 5 million on Jack Campbell.
Should be a new GM by then and hopefully no more or at least less albatross'

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Anybody think that Drai might go for a slightly shorter deal like Matthews did? Like 4-5 years? Would make sense to me for him
Would be a bad idea for him IMO because he's already showing signs of potentially slowing down this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad