Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Tre maybe charming and all that, be he also doesn’t know what a negotiation is. How does he give Willy 11.7 million dollars and no trade protection to boot? How is he on par with Pasta? I like willy, it’s not a hate on for Willy post, I just think that was an atrocious contract and Tre is part of the problem now. He is not some genius savant here.
I’m hoping that was all Shanahan’s decision, but I’m also hoping Huberdeau’s contract was someone else’s decision!

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
As you get older you realize very few “Presidents and CEO’s are actually impressive” most of them just lucked their way into it .
Yup.. look at Dubas. A former GM indicated he met with Dubas a year or two before being hired by Toronto. Dubas wanted to meet because he thought the owners of the SOO were preparing to fire him and wanted advise on what to do. A year or maybe 2 later, Shanny hires Dubas and the media calls him boy wonder. When reality was, he was a shit$% gm who knew the right people. Now look where he is... he's making like 7 million a year. The guy who hired him in Pitts didn't even pronounce his name correctly at the presser.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Because he is showing that he will be keeping his nose out I hope. I am as pleased as I could be without Shanahan being dumped. I read a sense of urgency, no running it back. Not scapegoating the coach even though they let him go and not letting the players off the hook for the results.

Shanny has admitted the Dubas plan is finally dead and now its just how to achieve a new direction with what they are left with. I didn't expect them to be able to give specifics because they don't yet know what is going to be possible. Unfortunately it might be close to July 1st before we see what they can do.
I wish someone would call Shanny out whenever he tries to put the blame on Dubas. Did Shanny not show his cards last year after they were once again eliminated, by assuring the core that they would be back? Doesn’t that look like it was him all along?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Most disappointing thing about Shanahan's tenure with the Leafs is considering the type of player he was, he allowed Dubas to build a buttery soft team based on numbers on a spreadsheet as the second coming of Billy Bean...must have watched "Moneyball" too many times...those first few years while Dubas was GM, this team was frustratingly buttery soft, until he realized it doesn't work in the NHL when physicality and intimidation are keys to winning...Dubas, the good talker, but a charlatan was even able to convince Babcock for a brief period..."our toughness is our powerplay" were Babcock's words.

We should have just built a conventionally diverse supporting cast on good conventional principles to support the unique core.

Get a goalie to replace Freddy Andersen when his time was up, put a premium on adding length defenders who can play a versatile game and build a tight knit group of junkyard dogs to protect our softer skill core.

Dallas Stars supporting cast, New York Rangers supporting cast. Carolina Hurricanes supporting cast or even the Vancouver Canucks supporting cast, plus Toronto Maple Leafs star power. That would have been a fine recipe. Still can be.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Nah, as annoying as this process has been, I do think there’s been a logic to the patience Shanahan has shown. We can definitely say this core ain’t it and we didn’t accidentally tear apart hockeys OKC Thunder after the Montreal series. We know these guys suck together. No regrets dynamiting this.
patience ran out until MTL series. He wasted everyones time when every random Joe has been telling a guy who makes 8 figures to move off from the core and that they dont play playoff hockey

you would think this politician who won cups would know this

moron

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
time to be cut throat

If JT doesn't want to be traded too bad. Put him on waivers.

Go spend his money in FA
100%. It's addition through subtraction, just like any Marner trade as far as I'm concerned. You are not getting any return for JT - he's a negative value asset unless you retain, and even still, it's likely a shitty pick or two plus bad 1 year dump back.

Now with this presser, I agree with others, Shanny looked like a dummy and Tree came off like a beast because he's pretty damn on point about the issues and didn't throw buzzwords and obfuscations around whereas Shanny is a bad politician who looks good but offers nothing of any value.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
patience ran out until MTL series. He wasted everyones time when every random Joe has been telling a guy who makes 8 figures to move off from the core and that they dont play playoff hockey

you would think this politician who won cups would know this

moron

Oh, I’m not saying this process has been fruitful or that it wasn’t a time waster but at least we won’t look back on this era like man we could have kept the band together and won some cups.

I think we can say Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Rielly, together and some of them individually are just the wrong stuff. We can regroup with a small handful of them and see where it goes from there, others will leave and maybe they bandwagon somewhere else for success. But together. We know it doesn’t work. The sample size is big enough. No regrets.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Oh, I’m not saying this process has been fruitful or that it wasn’t a time waster but at least we won’t look back on this era like man we could have kept the band together and won some cups.

I think we can say Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Rielly, together and some of them individually are just the wrong stuff. We can regroup with a small handful of them and see where it goes from there, others will leave and maybe they bandwagon somewhere else for success. But together. We know it doesn’t work. The sample size is big enough. No regrets.
He had the right idea but severely misfired by hiring dubas and not breaking up core guys earlier.

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Might be slowing down and not the greatest captain but he is no Blake Wheeler.

Wheeler is a jerk and Tavares is a good guy. But old leadership that can’t play at a high level anymore are awkward leaders. And you need a fresh voice and new team personality.

Reactions: ToneDog

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Shanahan: "It's on me, it's all on me"

Me: Okay then why aren't YOU fired too?

---

Treliving: "Keefe is a REALLY GOOD COACH, this is a reallllly good coach".

Bruh,

Really? How is he such a good coach?

Everything we've seen says otherwise.

Action Jackson

Jul 5, 2010
Might be slowing down and not the greatest captain but he is no Blake Wheeler.
Salary aside, he was still a great defensive center, one of the best NHLers in the faceoff dot, and played good playoff hockey and led the team in hits. He did not cause any blatant mistakes in the playoffs hes been here.

Marner, complete opposite. Im convinced people calling for Tavares' head over Marner simply don't watch the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad