Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Anybody think that Drai might go for a slightly shorter deal like Matthews did? Like 4-5 years? Would make sense to me for him

Don't think so. He's not in the right age range. At the end of this hypothetical contract Leon would be 34. Even if his play hasn't declined by then what team is signing him to another big time deal? None that are sane.

A max term contract is the smartest route to the most money for Draisaitl, especially given that the Oilers aren't going to attack his AAV over that.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
If you offer to cook them bbq every weekend I’d bet they take significantly less.
IMG_0174.jpeg

Lemon Tea Ice Cream last weekend, getting back into sweet treats. Have to think of a McDrai Mix….

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Auston Matthews and Nathan MacKinnon are probably a good comparables.

Somewhere in the ballpark of $13million sounds about right.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Based on the idiotic contract that Nylander got Draisaitl is probably going to want 14 million for 5/6 years. Stupid Leafs. lol Bye bye Bouchard if that happens.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Johnny and Chucky were saying they wanted to stay in Calgary at times and we all know how that turned out. For Draisaitl I'm not really going to give it much thought till it happens, as WTF can I do about it?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Johnny and Chucky were saying they wanted to stay in Calgary at times and we all know how that turned out. For Draisaitl I'm not really going to give it much thought till it happens, as WTF can I do about it?
They probably did until Sutter was hired. Tkachuk even said he was trying to get a long term contract in 19/20 when they signed him to a bridge.

Sutter basically won a Jack Adams for alienating and blowing up that team and it's core.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
That article doesn't leave me feeling like he wants to leave Edmonton or anything... but it does leave me with the impression that he's probably looking for big big dollars... which I can't blame him after being so underpaid for so long

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
When it comes down to it players follow the all mighty dollar. If a team like Florida or Vegas offers you a similar contract you would be hard pressed to pass on it given how much we pay in taxes. Draisaitl would be crazy to pass on millions of dollars and I can't fault him for that.

Having said that, you don't know what that number is going to look like until you hit free agency. At that point only a handful of teams might have enough cap space to make room for a guy like him. The majority of teams are in cap hell every year and freeing up 12-15M can be quite difficult.

I've posted this previously but the benchmark for negotiations should focus on Edmontons ability to add that 8th year. For example, if a team came to Draisaitl and was willing to pay 15M a season for 7 seasons thats 105M total. If you take that same amount over 8 years it's only 13.15M per year to match the same total dollars. IMO this is a massive advantage when it comes to contract negotiations.

With respect to comparables, you can definitely look at Nylander as a comparable but thats not entirely a bad thing. Nylander signed based on what he's doing this year and not past years. Nylander right now is playing better than Draisaitl.

If we offered Draisaitl 13.2M a season it means another team would have to be able to over 15M a season to match and I just don't see a whole lot of teams willing to do that.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
When it comes down to it players follow the all mighty dollar. If a team like Florida or Vegas offers you a similar contract you would be hard pressed to pass on it given how much we pay in taxes. Draisaitl would be crazy to pass on millions of dollars and I can't fault him for that.

Having said that, you don't know what that number is going to look like until you hit free agency. At that point only a handful of teams might have enough cap space to make room for a guy like him. The majority of teams are in cap hell every year and freeing up 12-15M can be quite difficult.

I've posted this previously but the benchmark for negotiations should focus on Edmontons ability to add that 8th year. For example, if a team came to Draisaitl and was willing to pay 15M a season for 7 seasons thats 105M total. If you take that same amount over 8 years it's only 13.15M per year to match the same total dollars. IMO this is a massive advantage when it comes to contract negotiations.

With respect to comparables, you can definitely look at Nylander as a comparable but thats not entirely a bad thing. Nylander signed based on what he's doing this year and not past years. Nylander right now is playing better than Draisaitl.

If we offered Draisaitl 13.2M a season it means another team would have to be able to over 15M a season to match and I just don't see a whole lot of teams willing to do that.
Solid post this is

Reactions: McDoused

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

In addition to the extra year the Oilers can offer which really forces another team to do something stupid, there are ways around the tax discrepancies between jurisdictions with things such as RCA’s, which Fourier pointed out in another thread.

The other thing is that while he’s getting paid in USD much of his expenses are in CAD so every dollar he’s earning is worth 25% more where he’s spending it most much of the time.

If he leaves it won’t be for money because the Oilers will has the advantage on being able to offer the most, unless like I said, some gm goes off the depend and offers him something stupid like 16M AAV for 7 years, which I suppose is possible though very unlikely. If he leaves it’s probably going to have to do with location and or the fact he wants to be the undisputed star of a team.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
If you end up being incredibly top heavy with a cohort of players earning top salaries, then you need to draft and develop properly, with guys coming in on their rookie contracts and contributing meaningfully at budget rates. Instead, what we have are idiots running the show and the draft, and we end up picking suspects or completely wrecking the development trajectories of otherwise reasonably skilled players through hapless, ham fisted development. This clown show at the top will need to PAY other teams to take our shite contracts and shite players with 1st rounders, which should instead be used to draft guys who as aforementioned should come in and contribute at a cheaper ticket than mid-career or veteran washouts with high price tags.

Really not sure about if Draisaitl re-signs but if he does, it will come at a huge premium and that means they need to shed more salary again. Agree wholeheartedly with McDoused's post, they will need to pay dearly for Draisaitl. Just don't know what it means for this team if they fail again this post-season (provided they remain in to at least make it..).

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Gaudreau wanted to stay in calgary. Flames took to long to sign him hence he walked away.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don’t think you can tell much from his interview. Draisaitl and germans in general are stoic. He also doesn’t love the media and probably Spector in particular.

He will either stay or he will go. If money is his priority, the Edmonton Maple Leafs will back up the brink truck and give him whatever he wants. Both him and McDavid will be given blank cheques if they want to stay.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibanez

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Well they won't take a home discount likely, to build a better team around them, because this management would just f*** that up anyway based on the history of their entire time here.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Just to add to this, I don't see any scenario in which we lose Draisaitl but still keep McDavid. Keeping the two together is the single biggest draw for both of them to stay. If we lose those two it would mark the start of another decade of darkness. We need to pay what it costs to keep both and adjust the rest of the roster accordingly.
Nuge and Hyman would lead us to a cup!

Id rather watch this team with a bunch of league minimums playing with McDrai than a team without them....pay them what they want.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don’t think you can tell much from his interview. Draisaitl and germans in general are stoic. He also doesn’t love the media and probably Spector in particular.

He will either stay or he will go. If money is his priority, the Edmonton Maple Leafs will back up the brink truck and give him whatever he wants. Both him and McDavid will be given blank cheques if they want to stay.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
I suspect we will see a lot from Spector suggesting that Leon could be looking elsewhere or perhaps just ``speculating'' about good landing places. It's clear that Leon does not like Spector and I am sure Spector knows that such things will draw him lots of attention. Spector can make sure he wins either way by being non-committal about his stories couching them as hypotheticals.

If the Oilers recover this season and have a decent playoff run, Leon will be signed by July 1. The Oilers have the 8th year advantage and can offer him as much as he would get with any contender.

Reactions: frag2

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Nope. You sign McDavid and Draisaitl for 8 years at whatever they want and figure out the rest of the team around them.

I might be the biggest Bouchard booster on this board but if the choice is him or Drai that's not a choice at all.
In my opinion, opening the bank to two players doesn’t make for a winning team.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The thing that I keep coming back to is if Draisaitl has winning as a priority (and I think it is), there is no other team in the NHL that could just sign him for a $13M+ AAV that has any prospect of winning anything in the immediate future. All the teams with this kind of room stink.

On paper, you could be worried about a sexier team that is good signing him, but that honestly isn't really possible with other good team's cap situations. And why would a team that views itself as a contender ship off players that are making them a contender as is to replace them with Draisaitl, only to maybe keep them as contenders? Practically it makes no sense.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Let's play a simple math game. When Leon signs, the cap will likely be in the $92M range.
8 years at same percentage as Panarin would be...

$13.156M/8 years.

For Connor, with the same trajectory, the cap at $96M. Currently contract was 16.7% of cap. Let's bump it to 17% of cap.

$16.32M/8 years.

The only big reup in the next couple is Bouchard. Nuge signed, Nurse signed, Hyman signed. Probably walk from Kane. Ekholm would sign for less, he'll be 35 and either less or let him go.

It isn't all doom and gloom.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
give him whatever he wants, pay the man

If they dont keep Draisaitl say goodbye to McDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad