Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Can get extended July 1st...

What do you think/are comfortable with him getting on a deal?

Obviously we all hope he stays and I often wonder if he and McDavid have a handshake agreement between the two of them to stay put as it seems they and their partners are great friends.

12.5x8?

Reactions: Vagabond

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
After seeing Matthews and others do better on shorter term deals... I wonder if McDavid and Drai are looking for the same shorter 4-5 year term deals in their next contracts. Although they will be into their 30's by the time their 3rd contract expires and on the decline in their careers... so they may not get as much then.

Reactions: boredem

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Might be a hot take, but I'm paying any price. Cheaper the better obviously but I'd rather have Draisaitl at 15M per year than needing to try and solve the problem of replacing his impact on the roster.
Just to add to this, I don't see any scenario in which we lose Draisaitl but still keep McDavid. Keeping the two together is the single biggest draw for both of them to stay. If we lose those two it would mark the start of another decade of darkness. We need to pay what it costs to keep both and adjust the rest of the roster accordingly.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
After seeing Matthews and others do better on shorter term deals... I wonder if McDavid and Drai are looking for the same shorter 4-5 year term deals in their next contracts. Although they will be into their 30's by the time their 3rd contract expires and on the decline in their careers... so they may not get as much then.
They would make less if they took short term deals. Drai and McDavid would be like 32 years old. They're not getting 15M at 32-33 years old

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
RNH and Hyman to a lesser extent Kane started the sweet deal trend and I see Draisaitl and McDavid following
Those guys signed for term though, basically retirement contracts. I'd expect even an 8 year deal on Drai to deliver elite play every year whereas Nuge and Hyman carry risk.

I could see McDavid and Draisaitl taking a bit less just to play with each other. But even 13 million would be leaving money on the table

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
They would make less if they took short term deals. Drai and McDavid would be like 32 years old. They're not getting 15M at 32-33 years old
So then you see them signing the maximum 8 year deals again?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yes it's safer retirement money. They can always be traded if they're not happy here

Those guys signed for term though, basically retirement contracts. I'd expect even an 8 year deal on Drai to deliver elite play every year whereas Nuge and Hyman carry risk.

I could see McDavid and Draisaitl taking a bit less just to play with each other. But even 13 million would be leaving money on the table
I never viewed 13M which is 77% of the max as a discount. No team has won the cup with players taking that much

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

McDavid can do whatever he wants, but given that all he needs to do to get a max contract is ask for it signing for fewer than the maximum number of years seems a bit silly.

Draisaitl signing a 5 year deal would be pretty risky. Pretty good chance his play is falling or has fallen off by the end of that contract and even if it hasn't being 5 years older will only make getting a team to commit another huge deal to him more difficult.

Because Toronto's first extension for Matthews didn't buy any UFA seasons, he will only be 30 when his new extension expires instead of 33-34. huge difference.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes it's safer retirement money. They can always be traded if they're not happy here

I never viewed 13M which is 77% of the max as a discount. No team has won the cup with players taking that much
Between now and when the next deal kicks in, the cap will have grown by 6 million. It would definitely be less than the 12.5 than McDavid is now in terms of cap percentage when the cap was in the 70s

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
With the terrible cap management we have, somebodies going to have to take a discount to keep the band together. Hopefully they are all happy with their Hundreds of millions of dollars and don’t need to squeeze us past the breaking point. Its pretty much our only hope at this point.

Reactions: AM

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I think Drai offers the same or even more risk than those two. RNH signed his deal at the age of 28, is an effortless skater and doesn’t play a real physical game, so I think he has the best chance of delivering elite play into the latter years of his deal than the other two would. Hyman signed his deal at the age of 29, but for one less year, and we knew at the time that the risk of his latter years being a bit risky was possible. Drai will be 30 in the year his new contract kicks in, has to work his ass off skating wise due to his body type, and takes a beating out there. I could see his contract aging the worst of the three by the end, due to his age and style of play.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Between now and when the next deal kicks in, the cap will have grown by 6 million. It would definitely be less than the 12.5 than McDavid is now in terms of cap percentage when the cap was in the 70s
Will have grown? McDavid contract kicked in 2018-19 when the cap was 79.5M. 6 years into his contract, it's at 83.5M today lol. We gotta stop thinking the cap will grow significantly lol

Reactions: ZJuice

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
My guess would be 8 years $13M followed by McDavid 8 years at $14M if they both sign. That would mean the Oilers top 4 forwards would be signed for less than $38M. TO's big 4 might well be at $47M.

Will have grown? McDavid contract kicked in 2018-19 when the cap was 79.5M. 6 years into his contract, it's at 83.5M today lol. We gotta stop thinking the cap will grow significantly lol
Unless there is another pandemic like event the cap will grow. With current revenues the cap could easily be at $95M if it was not for the escrow recovery rules. That is behind the league now.

As of right now the cap is projected to be at $92M but my guess is that this is low.

Last edited:

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Preference: 12Mil x 8 seems about right. All the money upfront.

What will happen: Whatever it takes to keep him so we have a shot at keeping the kid. Is there a minimum amount of players that need to be iced? We can revolutionize the game and run 3 lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00