Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Stamkos is near the end of his prime, Giroux is washed up. McDavid isn't going to stay for that crap.

He can have a statue built anywhere. The biggest appeal the Oilers have is that they have another top 10 player in Draisaitl for him to play with. You take that off the board and forget about it.

You can't lose Draisaitl. If you lose him, you lose McDavid.
Drai has really been turning me off this year. I hope he stays, but in the end, it's just a game. If they both leave down the road, the sun will always come up the next day. I won't blame them at all. Management has screwed them out of prime years

Reactions: Duke74

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
These type of highly elite players hardly ever leave their teams during their prime, unless your owner's name ends in Pocklington. Did Lemieux/Crosby/Malkin leave Pittsburgh? Ovy leave Washington? Even Stamkos or Matthews leave their teams yet? I don't know... usually these teams move heaven and earth and do everything they can to keep these stars... and I don't see Edmonton being any different when it will come to resigning 97 and 29.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Call me crazy but if Drai walks, the list of UFAs that year is:

Crosby
Marner
Tavares
Rantanen
Hedman
Giroux
Ekblad
Saros
Theodore
Chrychrun
Ehlers
The list is too long, but you know what I mean

It's not really the end of the world if we use 15M on a combination of those players
A significant amount of those players will be re-signed this summer, and another large batch throughout the year.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
These type of highly elite players hardly ever leave their teams during their prime, unless your owner's name ends in Pocklington. Did Lemieux/Crosby/Malkin leave Pittsburgh? Ovy leave Washington? Even Stamkos or Matthews leave their teams yet? I don't know... usually these teams move heaven and earth and do everything they can to keep these stars... and I don't see Edmonton being any different when it will come to resigning 97 and 29.
Not quite the same tier but Tavares is one. Winning is the common theme amongst the players you list.

i also think if Drai bolts getting another high, high quality free agent when they don’t know if Mcdavid is extending and Drai just left will be very, very difficult.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I’d definitely give Drai 12mil and if he wants he can pluck my still beating heart from my chest too.

Let’s see how he finishes the season, if he gets 100 points again and turns it up in the playoffs again, you keep him. He’s arguably better than McDavid in the playoffs, guys a legend when it counts the most.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Depends if McDavid wants a statue in front of Rogers Place and a freeway named after him.

Maybe not Matthews or Bedard but a combination of Saros, Stamkos, Giroux and a bunch of 1st round picks on ELCs to help sooth the pain
Even if he did leave, I could see down the road where he does get a road after he retires even if they renamed 104ave after him McDavid Way, St, Ave.... whatever. Cup or no cup.

as a Leaf fan of 30 years the last couple of years hearing the "McDavid coming home to Toronto when hes done in Edmonton" bullshit from fellow Leaf on HF is beyond exhausting. Living here in "Deadmonton" I'd rather see him stay here that way I can continue to read all the sniveling from both leaf and non leaf fans. As a fan of McDavid i'm holding off buying his jersey till he re-signs here.

Last edited:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I could see Leon or Connor wanting to leave if the Oilers kept missing the playoffs, but I'm extremely confident they will stay. I just hope we see decent increases in the salary cap every year now.

Drai will be the top paid player in the NHL with his new deal.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Call me crazy but if Drai walks, the list of UFAs that year is:

Crosby
Marner
Tavares
Rantanen
Hedman
Giroux
Ekblad
Saros
Theodore
Chrychrun
Ehlers
The list is too long, but you know what I mean

It's not really the end of the world if we use 15M on a combination of those players
If I had to guess...

Crosby stays, Marner stays if he does leave it probably wouldnt be Edmonton, Tavares same as Crosby, Rantanen probably stays. Hedman, stays, Giroux maybe retire if no interest. Maybe interest here, Saros maybe, Theodore probably stays, Chychrun maybe here Ehlers goes somewhere south.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
A significant amount of those players will be re-signed this summer, and another large batch throughout the year.
I am going to guess that at most two on that list hit UFA. I'd say odds are better than 50-50 that none of them do. For me the most likely would be Chychrun if he does not get traded, but I suspect he gets moved.

Reactions: Nostradumbass

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I am fairly confident he will test the market and think as much as I love him if he doesn’t give a surefire indication he is going to resign after the season ends if you offer him 13-14 range you trade him at the draft as much as I would hate it since that is a massive damn hole.

And before someone jumps on it yes I know he can’t sign till July 1 but we for sure could try and have something agreed to but not on paper before then

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
You can basically guarantee he's going to get between 14%-15% of the cap on an 8-year deal, which is equivalent to 16%-17.1% of the cap on a 7 year deal. The salary cap is projected to be $92M in the first year of his new deal, which means he'll get between $12.9M-$13.8M/year on an 8-year deal. My guess is 8 years, $13M, for a total of $104M. He'd have to get at least $14.85M/year on the open market to make the same amount of money, which seems on the high side.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
You can basically guarantee he's going to get between 14%-15% of the cap on an 8-year deal, which is equivalent to 16%-17.1% of the cap on a 7 year deal. The salary cap is projected to be $92M in the first year of his new deal, which means he'll get between $12.9M-$13.8M/year on an 8-year deal. My guess is 8 years, $13M, for a total of $104M. He'd have to get at least $14.85M/year on the open market to make the same amount of money, which seems on the high side.
In a vacuum sure but when you factor in taxes you would make significantly more after tax dollars in Vegas, Dallas, and Florida (TBL/panthers).

I think the last time I saw the after tax spread it was like almost $1MM per year better off in those states as opposed to Edmonton. I also think it was run on sub $10M contracts.

Best guess is to be equivalent in one of those places or to slightly win he would need a similar AAV as we would offer on our 8 year deal on a 7 year deal.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I think he is 50/50 or doesn't want to show his hand at all (others did and make bank like Nylander).

I don't know much about his gf/wife. Somebody said she is an aspiring actress. Drai should be max 13 to me.

People hate to think it, but how much does he produce if McDavid is out all year? I think he will talk to McDavid (I don't even know if players ask others ont he team about this stuff). If Drai makes big $$ and McDavid left, Drai will get crapped on a lot. He is not the engine mcDavid is.

Saying all of that, if you have to Overpay him, you do it. You can't just replace him.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad