OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Thanks, lots of info there, I'll give it a read.

How well would something like that handle our winters?

I keep mine in a small shed during winter if i'm not using it on a given day, so I have no issues. Seasoning it helps. Coat the inside with a cooking oil, and get the temperature up to 250-275. Let that go for about 30 minutes, and the oil will create a barrier that will fill in any imperfections, and prevent water from getting in and creating rust. If you buy one, the instructions will tell you whether or not you have to season it.

Even if you don't, you want to get it fired up fo 45 minutes to an hour the first time with no food, again at 250-275, just to burn off any residue from manufacturing.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
You're building a pub! That sounds interesting, what's that all about?

Well, i really like beer. All types. And have always enjoyed throwing parties and entertaining. When we bought our house, we had a garage, but also a big enough driveway to park both cars in it. The wife said I could do whatever I want with the garage, and so the pub was born. I'm finishing the drywall this week while I'm off, and building the actual bar at the end of April. I have a 60" TV, satellite, sound system, tap tower with 4 taps, dart board, and display cases for memorabilia.

The idea is to feel like you walked into a pub off the street. As I said before, I brew beer, as an extension of my love for it, so this will keep me satisfied for entertaining.

The goal is to have it all finished and decorated for Labour Day, and throw a party on from Friday to Monday that weekend. I have 4 or 5 guys all bringing their smokers over, and we'll all be doing our own unique dishes, and three of them also brew beers, so I'll have the taps running in the pub with a solid variety of local crafts. We're choosing what styles we're each going to brew up, and will get together in early may with the smokers and brew gear, and do a brew day.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well, i really like beer. All types. And have always enjoyed throwing parties and entertaining. When we bought our house, we had a garage, but also a big enough driveway to park both cars in it. The wife said I could do whatever I want with the garage, and so the pub was born. I'm finishing the drywall this week while I'm off, and building the actual bar at the end of April. I have a 60" TV, satellite, sound system, tap tower with 4 taps, dart board, and display cases for memorabilia.

The idea is to feel like you walked into a pub off the street. As I said before, I brew beer, as an extension of my love for it, so this will keep me satisfied for entertaining.

The goal is to have it all finished and decorated for Labour Day, and throw a party on from Friday to Monday that weekend. I have 4 or 5 guys all bringing their smokers over, and we'll all be doing our own unique dishes, and three of them also brew beers, so I'll have the taps running in the pub with a solid variety of local crafts. We're choosing what styles we're each going to brew up, and will get together in early may with the smokers and brew gear, and do a brew day.

Wow, that sounds amazing on many levels. When it's done, share some pics if you feel like it, I'd love to see what you've done.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Wow, that sounds amazing on many levels. When it's done, share some pics if you feel like it, I'd love to see what you've done.

For sure. I'm only half the smarmy arse**** I come off as on the board. I actually do quite well with people (sometimes) :laugh:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
As an aside, how Canadian is it that we sit on lawn chairs in someone's garage?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

You would be my ideal next door neighbor. :nod:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I'm sure beer helps ;)

We're already at our cap of 1 general OT thread around these parts .. Sorry! :laugh:

I second the food thread idea.

As someone who goes out and smokes brisket at 8am when it's -20 outside... I would like to learn and share.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

As someone who goes out and smokes brisket at 8am when it's -20 outside... I would like to learn and share.

On the topic of Canadian-isms, this one is up there.

I've BBQ'd in -25 myself .. Mother natured be damned at all.

member 262271

While this is still hockey related, has anyone seen the Coach's Corner Transcribed videos on youtube? Man, I'm dying over here. :laugh:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I hate the winter. Christmas time and hockey is the only thing that makes it bearable. If I was able to take off for 3 months a year (January, February, March), I'd be gone so quick.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

It's all about the love of the game.

Good eating is a necessity in any weather.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I hate the winter. Christmas time and hockey is the only thing that makes it bearable. If I was able to take off for 3 months a year (January, February, March), I'd be gone so quick.

Same here. I just to like winter as a young lady when I was playing hockey myself. Because winter meant that hockey season was on. Now I don't do any of those winter sports and can't stand winter. I love jogging but it is such a pain during winter.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Last good Brisket I had was here http://blackstrapbbq.ca/en/ at Christmas, just amazing.

Like I mentioned I have a pretty large BBQ, the Napoleon Prestige which does pretty much everything I could ever need. I'd only be looking at a smaller scale Smoker, although I'd want it big enough for a Turkey or Brisket. Any suggestions?

Years ago we went with a Traeger pellet smoker and haven't looked back.

Fantastic smoker that can be used as a BBQ as well as you can take it up to 400F.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Same here. I just to like winter as a young lady when I was playing hockey myself. Because winter meant that hockey season was on. Now I don't do any of those winter sports and can't stand winter. I love jogging but it is such a pain during winter.

Same here. I stopped playing hockey 2 years ago after a 3rd leg injury so I'm sticking to cycling - but I hate biking in the cold! Went to the Florida Keys to cycling couple years ago and this Christmas. Respect to the die-hard's out there on their bikes regardless of the winter weather.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Same here. I stopped playing hockey 2 years ago after a 3rd leg injury so I'm sticking to cycling - but I hate biking in the cold! Went to the Florida Keys to cycling couple years ago and this Christmas. Respect to the die-hard's out there on their bikes regardless of the winter weather.

Don't people ride bikes in the winter because they can't afford a car?

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Got some people looking at renting my basement apartment, hopefully there's a good one, pay my mortgage for me :)

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Don't people ride bikes in the winter because they can't afford a car?

Lol. No. There are a ton of keeners pushing hard into the winter wind "training" for the spring. I respect their dedication but I just can't do it. I ride 90% of my commutes starting April but even then sometimes that east wind coming off the lake makes me think twice about the next day. I also ride my cyclocross on the shoulder side of the white line for all the haters out there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad