OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Just saw the new Kong movie. Its actually real good movie. The action scenes are pretty nice as well. I recommend people to watch it. It is a movie to watch in the theatres.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I feel like if me and Vince Vaughn hungout we'd be buds. Same as Seth Rogen. Kinda based off that line in knocked up but I feel like its true ya know. Same as Jonah Hill actually too.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I feel like if me and Vince Vaughn hungout we'd be buds. Same as Seth Rogen. Kinda based off that line in knocked up but I feel like its true ya know. Same as Jonah Hill actually too.

Jonah Hill is my favorite actor

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Anyone on here play MMORPG's???

If so, check out Chronicles of Elyria. Going to be a ground breaking game when it launches later this year.

The game is being develioped by a handful of guys who have extensive experience making MMO's and decided to try and get crowd funding to make the game of their dreams, they raised over 1.2 million.

This isn't a World of Warcraft clone since it's not being developed by a large "Triple A" gaming company that just wants to make $$$$ at all costs, aka the path of least resistance. This is a work of passion and it shows in the details they've released so far.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Just saw the new Kong movie. Its actually real good movie. The action scenes are pretty nice as well. I recommend people to watch it. It is a movie to watch in the theatres.

The wife an I saw the IMAX 3D Kong last night. I'd also reccomend. It's not winning best picture, but it was solid and the special effects were top notch.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Anyone on here play MMORPG's???

If so, check out Chronicles of Elyria. Going to be a ground breaking game when it launches later this year.

The game is being develioped by a handful of guys who have extensive experience making MMO's and decided to try and get crowd funding to make the game of their dreams, they raised over 1.2 million.

This isn't a World of Warcraft clone since it's not being developed by a large "Triple A" gaming company that just wants to make $$$$ at all costs, aka the path of least resistance. This is a work of passion and it shows in the details they've released so far.

Thats what everyone says with every new mmo. It'll be dead within a few months, watch. MMOs are out of style now anyways.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Thats what everyone says with every new mmo. It'll be dead within a few months, watch. MMOs are out of style now anyways.

Used to play Grepolis with a couple buddies, but all of those games eventually become about soending more money to win. They inevitably end up at the same place.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Going from never hearing of a sous vide in my life to three times in a few days is making me want to get a sous vide.

Meh, it's like playing vids on 'easy'. Get yourself a smoker (they're easy builds for around $110-$150) and learn that art. It's awesome, and you'll be the toast of your crowd.

Cooking is one of my few passions. Sous-vide is effective, and works really well, but I don't know... It doesn't do it for me. Takes the passion and personality out of cooking.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Meh, it's like playing vids on 'easy'. Get yourself a smoker (they're easy builds for around $110-$150) and learn that art. It's awesome, and you'll be the toast of your crowd.

Cooking is one of my few passions. Sous-vide is effective, and works really well, but I don't know... It doesn't do it for me. Takes the passion and personality out of cooking.

Yep, boil in a bag has been a thing forever. Only use I can think for it is Corned Beef.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Yep, boil in a bag has been a thing forever. Only use I can think for it is Corned Beef.

Yeah. Corned Beef is the standard for that.

Personally, I enjoy the process of putting a meal together, improvising, experimenting, etc. Today, I'm making a homemade Nova Scotia clam chowder, garlic-cheddar biscuits from scratch, a roasted beat and arugula salad, with a delicious Beaujolais.

Cook that up in a bag :laugh:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah. Corned Beef is the standard for that.

Personally, I enjoy the process of putting a meal together, improvising, experimenting, etc. Today, I'm making a homemade Nova Scotia clam chowder, garlic-cheddar biscuits from scratch, a roasted beat and arugula salad, with a delicious Beaujolais.

Cook that up in a bag :laugh:

Sounds good, a bit much for a Monday though.
We had an excellent Beet salad out on Friday. I told my wife I need to make those, amazing how good they are when not off a grocery store shelf.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Sounds good, a bit much for a Monday though.
We had an excellent Beet salad out on Friday. I told my wife I need to make those, amazing how good they are when not off a grocery store shelf.

The wife and I have the week off (I work in Education, so it's March Break), and the family is coming over. This would have been a sunday night family dinner, but everyone was busy.

Sundays in winter are usually wine during prep/dinner, and scotch as the nightcap. Summer is almost 100% grilling and/or using the smoker, and I brew beer, so that's usually on tap.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The wife and I have the week off (I work in Education, so it's March Break), and the family is coming over. This would have been a sunday night family dinner, but everyone was busy.

Sundays in winter are usually wine during prep/dinner, and scotch as the nightcap. Summer is almost 100% grilling and/or using the smoker, and I brew beer, so that's usually on tap.

Sounds like we'd get along well!

I'm going to pick up a Smoker this summer. I've been using the Smoker box on my Napoleon but it's time to step up. It does an adequate job but it's time to take it to another level. I took on a Porchetta last summer for a large pool party, 6 hours on the rotisserie and it was phenomenal. I need a new challenge for this summer, have to top last summer.

What's your specialty with the Smoker?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Looks like you and me are made to be friends I guess.

Anyone have St Patricks Day plans?

My buddy is having a stagger but it's at home 2 hours away and I've driven home like 4 times in the past week so I may actually just skip it, I've bought a ticket so I've at least supported his wedding, and I doubt he'll even notice that I'm not there... So ya may just relax the Friday night. Saturday I have ticks for the Leafs/Hawks game that's happening, so I guess I'll just have a time there.

That's my plans, really not into the st. pats, halloween type holidays anyway -- not one to dress up or drink **** that looks green just because, I'm not Irish either.. so whatever.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Sounds like we'd get along well!

I'm going to pick up a Smoker this summer. I've been using the Smoker box on my Napoleon but it's time to step up. It does an adequate job but it's time to take it to another level. I took on a Porchetta last summer for a large pool party, 6 hours on the rotisserie and it was phenomenal. I need a new challenge for this summer, have to top last summer.

What's your specialty with the Smoker?

I've started trying to do all my apps as well as my mains in the smoker. Love doing Jalapeno poppers and wings. I'm a brisket guy. There's just nothing like it. About 8 hours at 250, and it falls apart in your mouth.

Doing whole chickens and turkeys gives new life to poultry, that can be boring after eating it from the oven.

Now that I'm married, and work quite a bit, I've basically taken to hobbies and the gym in my free time. Cooking, brewing, and building my pub are the joys of life, aside from going places with the wife.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I've started trying to do all my apps as well as my mains in the smoker. Love doing Jalapeno poppers and wings. I'm a brisket guy. There's just nothing like it. About 8 hours at 250, and it falls apart in your mouth.

Doing whole chickens and turkeys gives new life to poultry, that can be boring after eating it from the oven.

Now that I'm married, and work quite a bit, I've basically taken to hobbies and the gym in my free time. Cooking, brewing, and building my pub are the joys of life, aside from going places with the wife.

Last good Brisket I had was here http://blackstrapbbq.ca/en/ at Christmas, just amazing.

Like I mentioned I have a pretty large BBQ, the Napoleon Prestige which does pretty much everything I could ever need. I'd only be looking at a smaller scale Smoker, although I'd want it big enough for a Turkey or Brisket. Any suggestions?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Last good Brisket I had was here http://blackstrapbbq.ca/en/ at Christmas, just amazing.

Like I mentioned I have a pretty large BBQ, the Napoleon Prestige which does pretty much everything I could ever need. I'd only be looking at a smaller scale Smoker, although I'd want it big enough for a Turkey or Brisket. Any suggestions?

Mine are all custom builds. My wife's stepdad is a handy guy (full service mechanic, builds golf carts, builds snoking implements) for about $125, we built one out of a drum. Buy a cheap camping BBQ for the lid, temp guage, and grill itself, add some cheap hardware to contol temperature and venting , and you're on your way. In terms of buying, I would recommend this:

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker/pit-barrel-cooker

It's slightly smaller than my custom drum, but comes fully assembled, fits 8 racks of ribs, and you can do full turkeys on it.

If there is a mod rading this, would you folks be against getting a food/grilling OT thread going for the spring/summer/fall? Posting pics will be encouraged, recipe sharing, and I find that it helped me get into cooking for keeps. It may inspire some folks to start killing it on the grill.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Mine are all custom builds. My wife's stepdad is a handy guy (full service mechanic, builds golf carts, builds snoking implements) for about $125, we built one out of a drum. Buy a cheap camping BBQ for the lid, temp guage, and grill itself, add some cheap hardware to contol temperature and venting , and you're on your way. In terms of buying, I would recommend this:

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker/pit-barrel-cooker

It's slightly smaller than my custom drum, but comes fully assembled, fits 8 racks of ribs, and you can do full turkeys on it.

If there is a mod rading this, would you folks be against getting a food/grilling OT thread going for the spring/summer/fall? Posting pics will be encouraged, recipe sharing, and I find that it helped me get into cooking for keeps. It may inspire some folks to start killing it on the grill.

Thanks, lots of info there, I'll give it a read.

How well would something like that handle our winters?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

You're building a pub! That sounds interesting, what's that all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad