OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
So are you guys more of a winter person or a summer person? I feel like fall is the only time of year where I'm not miserable for some reason or another. I get excited when summer is coming around but the first hot day usually has be wishing for snow again hah.
I can't stand winter anymore. I don't play hockey anymore so winter has nothing to give to me. It is so awesome now with every place being green and all. Can't stand the cold, darkness, and snow anymore.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Oh look, another ignorant rant from the older generation. The trades right out of high school is the way to go right now. Doing a uni degree first just for the sake of having it is a waste of time and money. Right now University degrees are a waste outside of engineering, nursing and professional schools IMHO.

Ignorant? ;) We all get older, can't wait to see you try to share your views when you age.

Speaking of your views, you do realize that to get a professional designation requires an undergraduate degree?

Anyways, I clearly stated if the equation is economic and purely economic, it's a pretty big opportunity cost to go to University. Which means you actually agreed with my "ignorant" position.

What you missed is that education may be about more than money. A book that inspires or an understanding of human behaviour or an inquisitive mind that chooses to apply it to studying diseases and how to treat?

Tell me how much better off the world could actually be if the majority had the skill to critically think about the "Fakebook" news feeds they were reading that swung an election?

In the end, each individual makes their own choice based on their interests and abilities. Some aren't meant for university and with the trades booming, some clearly aren't meant to work with their hands.

But seeking the job of the moment via either route seems like a short sighted view.

Oh, and if I do choose your resume from the pile.... tell your parents to stay home ;)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What? :laugh::laugh:

During the first few years of an apprentice, plumbers usually make between 15-20k
It can go up to about 100-200k a year dude, do your research..

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...umber-what-will-my-salary-be/article17576328/

The salary range for a qualified plumber depends on location (that is, a small-town plumber might make less than one in a big city). The national average for someone starting out is $18 to $25 an hour, or about $37,000 to $52,000 a year, according to Daryl Sharkey, executive director of the Mechanical Contractors Association of Canada. He says more experienced plumbers earn about $26 to $59 an hour, or $54,000 to $74,000 a year.

Are you not the same guy who thinks he can live off of 200k for the rest of his life?

And no **** one can make over 100k a year, thats if they own their own successful business, which not everyone can do. The majority of plumbers will make under 100k a year, not over.

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Most plumbers I've worked for are making around $36/hour or $75,000/year. However, they also have full benefits. And they're also getting paid travel. And they're also getting paid live-out. People would bring their camper to a camp ground, split rent in an apartment, or get mass deals at hotels. I personally walked into hotel in the Toronto area, stated we're working on a multi-million dollar project and would like a deal for my co-workers and myself. $50/night. ...and many shared a room. So some were making about $300/week just by staying in a hotel. Others would secretly drive home if it wasn't too bad and pocket all the live-out.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ignorant? ;) We all get older, can't wait to see you try to share your views when you age.

Speaking of your views, you do realize that to get a professional designation requires an undergraduate degree?

Anyways, I clearly stated if the equation is economic and purely economic, it's a pretty big opportunity cost to go to University. Which means you actually agreed with my "ignorant" position.

What you missed is that education may be about more than money. A book that inspires or an understanding of human behaviour or an inquisitive mind that chooses to apply it to studying diseases and how to treat?

Tell me how much better off the world could actually be if the majority had the skill to critically think about the "Fakebook" news feeds they were reading that swung an election?

In the end, each individual makes their own choice based on their interests and abilities. Some aren't meant for university and with the trades booming, some clearly aren't meant to work with their hands.

But seeking the job of the moment via either route seems like a short sighted view.

Oh, and if I do choose your resume from the pile.... tell your parents to stay home ;)

You and I have had more than our share of disagreements in the past but this is a solid post IMO, especially the parts I bolded. :thumbu::thumbu:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

I'm university educated and currently in a professional program. I'm speaking from first hand experience as someone who was on the verge of starting as an entry level apprentice at 22 years old, had i not gotten into my current program, after completing my BSc. Even with my 4.0 GPA I wanted nothing to do with biology after graduating and was always interested in the trades (as a son of a contractor). I was pretty pissed that I was about to start from the bottom 20k in debt knowing I could've gone straight out of high school and knowing my degree would mean **** all at that point.

So yes, university education is valuable but not in every circumstance. Like I said, there are a select few undergrad programs that are actually worth the time and money, or if you can manage to get into a professional program ( which most don't).

As for your rant about society, university education won't change that. In fact some of the smartest people I know are high school drop outs and some of the dumbest people I know managed to get a university degree.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm university educated and currently in a professional program. I'm speaking from first hand experience as someone who was on the verge of starting as an entry level apprentice at 22 years old, had i not gotten into my current program, after completing my BSc. Even with my 4.0 GPA I wanted nothing to do with biology after graduating and was always interested in the trades (as a son of a contractor). I was pretty pissed that I was about to start from the bottom 20k in debt knowing I could've gone straight out of high school and knowing my degree would mean **** all at that point.

So yes, university education is valuable but not in every circumstance. Like I said, there are a select few undergrad programs that are actually worth the time and money, or if you can manage to get into a professional program ( which most don't).

As for your rant about society, university education won't change that. In fact some of the smartest people I know are high school drop outs and some of the dumbest people I know managed to get a university degree.

Just because your degree didn't mean anything doesn't mean most do. A lot of companies/government bodies require a degree of any kind just to be qualified for a position. Upper levels usually require more (masters, professional accreditation)

There is a ton of value with going to university outside of what you actually learn within course material.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Sounds like you didn't make the right educational decisions at the right time with regards to career choice, lots of people do the same.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Someone give me a new avatar.

Can't think of any.

Could go back to Harvey Spector...

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Sounds like you didn't make the right educational decisions at the right time with regards to career choice, lots of people do the same.

Actually I chased a dream that I was fortunate to achieve but not everyone is the same. If it didn't work out then I would have regretted it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You don't want to know how many hours in photoshop this took.

ncmvf7.png

It says it's been deleted.

Come on Corter

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Didn't you lose an avy bet with Peasy that you didn't follow through with? Maybe he has a suggestion?

When was this? :laugh:

I don't think so. I would of held true. If I didn't, it was unintentional

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Had a plumber come in today to look at the pipes. Lemme just say this for all you high schoolers, trades make a lot of money. Uni is way overrated/saturated these days

strongly disagree. having a university degree opens a lot of doors that you may not think will be open for you. I have 3. (my university degree (joint degree), a trades diploma, and a teaching certificate).

So are you guys more of a winter person or a summer person? I feel like fall is the only time of year where I'm not miserable for some reason or another. I get excited when summer is coming around but the first hot day usually has be wishing for snow again hah.

Fall and Winter.
summer can go die for all I care.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
University is no longer what it used to be. The last 5 years have been nothing short of devastating for the humanities. Ideologues have taken over. Pure sciences and math are still excellent, engineering as well. Glad I got my humanities degrees before all of the recent scourge.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
University is no longer what it used to be. The last 5 years have been nothing short of devastating for the humanities. Ideologues have taken over. Pure sciences and math are still excellent, engineering as well. Glad I got my humanities degrees before all of the recent scourge.

actually that's true.
my friend was telling me how this one student didn't like wht the instructor was teaching so she whined to the dean of students, and the dean told the the teacher she couldn't teach that in her class. I would have gone ape on that.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
actually that's true.
my friend was telling me how this one student didn't like wht the instructor was teaching so she whined to the dean of students, and the dean told the the teacher she couldn't teach that in her class. I would have gone ape on that.

I'm a big Jordan Peterson fan, and boy, does he have the argument against universities on point these days. Guy's pretty brilliant.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I'm a big Jordan Peterson fan, and boy, does he have the argument against universities on point these days. Guy's pretty brilliant.

I've seen some stuff on YouTube and he is the man.

And about the university stuff,
I mean, I'm fairly biased but I find a lot more people regretting university than the trades due to a bunch of factors. But I know a lot of that has to do with where I live, the types of jobs around me, and the culture. A lot of university programs sound like waste of time and money to me... But that might be more to do with peoples lack of planning when enrolling to post secondary and not thinking where they will get a job.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
"Did the man who invented college, go to college?" - Hopsin

Well... Ya. The oldest universities still around have been around for over 900 years and were a place for students to come together with experts in fields. Presumably, the people who started the universities were the experts.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Well... Ya. The oldest universities still around have been around for over 900 years and were a place for students to come together with experts in fields. Presumably, the people who started the universities were the experts.
Oxford dating back to 1096 is mindboggling.

Impressive stuff. Not as impressive as Kongo Gumi, mind you... but still up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->