Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

catmanhabsfan

Jan 4, 2006
Fair enough, point taken.

Mrs Walrus and Senior Daughter herself (serious field hockey and netball player that she is) like men to "fill a shirt nicely" - a phrase they both use. Different strokes for different folks.

I'll let Lane Hutson's hockey speak for him, and it says a lot of good things.
A 160lb man fills a shirt just fine so long as they buy the right size lol you're perpetuating the same garbage that women say men do regarding ideal female bodies. A 5 foot 10 inch 170 lb fit man has plenty of women finding them more than good enough

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Agreed. I don't mind players with size making it earlier cause they are more physically ready but guys like Hutson should not be rushed. If he turns the needle right away, you let him force your hand. If not, lets not play the pencil in the line-up game before they turn pro. For now, enjoy the show because this kid it putting up historic numbers in his 1st NCAA season at age 18/19. We will get a much better idea on his progression when he turns pro.

Points should not be the evaluation in his 1st season. Ability to deal with bigger players who skate well and play to MSL style is more important. Points come and go depending on the team depth. Got to learn how to play the NHL game first and that part is tough with the time/space being reduced.

Rather see him dominate the AHL first. Barron got sent there to work on his defensive game. Hutson will need this as well.

Lets not do a Mete round 2 again.
I agree. The key is not to put Hutson in an environment where he will be outmatched and overwhelmed.

Another season being groomed in the NCAA, with emphasis on adding mass in the summer and maintaining it during the season.

A stint in Montreal to burn a year off an ELC near the end of next season after his NCAA layoffs are over. That should already give him a taste of the NHL's tempo and HuGo/St-Louis an idea if he is severely outmatched.

Another summer after that where the now 6'0"-tall Hutson concentrates again on adding mass and we see how his training camp goes. Maybe he gets a trial stint up to 10 games in Montreal at the start of the season. If he can already handle the NHL without struggling, keep him up. If not, send him to Laval. after the deadline, call him back up if his play warrant it, or leave him in Laval to experience a playoff hunts and AHL post-season games if they are both in the cards for the Rocket.

There are a lot of possibilities for Hutson, but next year should definitely be back in the NCAA where he will be the #1D.

Beyond next year, he should turn pro and his play will dictate where he plays as a pro.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I think they can just offer him an AHL contract, they should do it. But I just realized he has two other brothers. Cole Hutson has some really nice stats.
His brother Cole is eligible to get drafted in 2024, next year if i’m not mistaken, he is 16. He’s very good too, better stats than Lane had in the U17. He is a LHD also.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He's 19, 5"10 160 lbs. He's done growing but he might still pack on about 10 lbs. He's not getting any taller. He's small but he'll be fine, if Mete can survive so can he.
Are you sure? Where is this verdict coming from. He could grow an extra inch tp reach his dad's height, maybe two...

He should be able to add 10 lbs easily if he works on his quads and shoulders in the summer.

The game schedule in the NCAA, withy the rest periods, will be more about Hutson working on keeping the mass on that he added in the summer.

The following summer will be more added mass and then, at around 175 lbs, 180 lbs and at least 5'10", he should turn pro.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He’s just not explosive, for some reason people equate that to bad skating.

His explosiveness will improve with added strength to his lower body with more physical maturity and training. It’s almost the exact same thing people used to pin against Caufield and it’s now a strength in his game rather than a weakness.
I disagree. I think he is rather explosive when he shifts an opponent, or maybe the opponent is caught so off guard he can't recover fast enough and Hutson just blows by him.

I have zero problem with opponents perceiving him as a bad skater. Offensively, at least, they will bite on his moves or get shifted easily if they try and bear down on him.

I really hope the Big Guy (His new nickname now that he did grow the 2 inches that he had promised to grow) becomes a star at the NHL level, with for him and for the Habs (and their fans).

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I agree. The key is not to put Hutson in an environment where he will be outmatched and overwhelmed.

Another season being groomed in the NCAA, with emphasis on adding mass in the summer and maintaining it during the season.

A stint in Montreal to burn a year off an ELC near the end of next season after his NCAA layoffs are over. That should already give him a taste of the NHL's tempo and HuGo/St-Louis an idea if he is severely outmatched.

Another summer after that where the now 6'0"-tall Hutson concentrates again on adding mass and we see how his training camp goes. Maybe he gets a trial stint up to 10 games in Montreal at the start of the season. If he can already handle the NHL without struggling, keep him up. If not, send him to Laval. after the deadline, call him back up if his play warrant it, or leave him in Laval to experience a playoff hunts and AHL post-season games if they are both in the cards for the Rocket.

There are a lot of possibilities for Hutson, but next year should definitely be back in the NCAA where he will be the #1D.

Beyond next year, he should turn pro and his play will dictate where he plays as a pro.
I get your username now. Great storytelling there bud.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Say what you will, but when Hutson proposes to you that he will skate around you on your left, you almost have to bite, because he won't shift if you don't and it's not like he will actually run into you because you stood your ground.

He will, precisely go around you on your left and you staying flat-footed to hold your ground will just allow him to do that.

Hutson actually does a helluva lot of skating with the puck in the O-zone -- how he has that much energy over an entire game, I have trouble believing -- and won't cut just past an opponent when he proposes a direction. He will skate around, but away from his opponent, creating more space between himself and the opponent, just setting up for another shift if necessary.

Watching Hutson glide around the O-zone is mesmerizing, really and, it's not just the shifting and the hustle -- he's also able to find passing lanes and open line mates at the same time.

It must be extremely frustrating to chase Hutson in your own zone, close in on him and see a pass cross ice on the tape of Hutson's line mate become a quality scoring opportunity.

I'm hoping for big things from the bigger player.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I get your username now. Great storytelling there bud.
I was having fun. I don't care how tall he gets (5'10" might be the end of the line for him), as long as he can display his skills at every level that he ends up playing. :)

I really like the fans watching Hutson and their reaction to him scoring the first time. It's almost like they are saying, "Yup, it's him again..."

Reactions: Dutronc

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I was having fun. I don't care how tall he gets (5'10" might be the end of the line for him), as long as he can display his skills at every level that he ends up playing. :)

I really like the fans watching Hutson and their reaction to him scoring the first time. It's almost like they are saying, "Yup, it's him again..."
I liked his reaction after scoring his second, been there done that vibes lol.

Reactions: Scriptor and Kojo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad