Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Bee Holder

Jul 3, 2017
Montreal
I've been on these boards for many years, mostly as a lurker, but I for one am looking forward to seeing more of his achievements. I like a lot of our prospects - Farrell, Roy, Beck, Mailloux, Kidney, Mesar, etc. - But Lane is definitely the most intriguing one and the one I'm the most hyped about (with restraint on expectations; I've been excited and then deceived by prospects way too often with this team).

Still, what he's accomplished so far is simply amazing, in this league, at that age, that position, that height and weight.

He's got "IT".

At this point it mostly is a question of "How much does he want IT".

Please, everyone! Don't make this second thread overwhelmed by heights posts, non-stop, without actual verified updates. It made the last thread very underwhelming with lousy hypothetical debates while others were just looking with performance reports, highlights, good/bad news, etc... :)

Last edited:

Nova_Scotia_Vees

Jun 1, 2004
There's something here, obviously, it would be extremely rare for a freshman defenseman to do what he is doing and for it to be a fluke.
So exciting to watch this kid..I feel everything will fall into place and he will be a great one.

I've been on these boards for many years, mostly as a lurker, but I for one am looking forward to seeing more of his achievements. I like a lot of our prospects - Farrell, Roy, Beck, Mailloux, Kidney, Mesar, etc. - But Lane is definitely the most intriguing one and the one I'm the most hyped about (with restraint on expectations; I've been excited and then deceived by prospects way too often with this team).

Still, what he's accomplished so far is simply amazing, in this league, at that age, that position, that height and weight.

He's got "IT".

At this point it mostly is a question of "How much does he want IT".

Please, everyone! Don't make this second thread overwhelmed by heights posts, non-stop, without actual verified updates. It made the last thread very underwhelming with lousy hypothetical debates while others were just looking with performance reports, highlights, good/bad news, etc... :)
Me too- I've been a lurker for years.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I don’t think he will go to the AHL, with his skillset I think he goes straight to the NHL. I could be wrong tho

He would get absolutely destroyed at his size in the NHL next year, he better fatten up by 25 lbs , I don't care how good his stats are.

Reactions: themilosh and jrom

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
hockey-prospectings-updated-lane-hutson-card-is-looking-v0-y2kckb8aunia1.jpg

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
He'll be ready for NHL in 3 years if he can maintain this pace while adding weight.
2023: NCAA sophmore
2024: AHL full season
2025: NHL rookie

Ideally I’d say you are correct, that being said I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the NHL in 2024.

A lot can change in 12 months, if he puts up a similarly gifted season next season while continuing to fill out and hone his defensive game he won’t be going to the AHL.

Reactions: themilosh

Bee Holder

Jul 3, 2017
Montreal
He would get absolutely destroyed at his size in the NHL next year, he better fatten up by 25 lbs , I don't care how good his stats are.
I think he meant going straight to the NHL after spending another year in NCAA next year. No AHL in between.

Reactions: Habs

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I don't think he will get destroyed even if he plays at 155lbs.

Johnny Gaudreau for example is un-hittable. Hutson will develop the aptitude to dodge the hit.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Jarred Spurgeon has had a great career at 5'9" and 167 lbs.

It would be nice for Hutson to add some muscle/weight, but Hutson shouldn't be playing in the NHL next year because his game isn't polished enough yet to be playing at his size more than his actual size.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I don't think he will get destroyed even if he plays at 155lbs.

Johnny Gaudreau for example is un-hittable. Hutson will develop the aptitude to dodge the hit.
Hope you are joking since one is a forward lol

Reactions: themilosh

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don’t think he will go to the AHL, with his skillset I think he goes straight to the NHL. I could be wrong tho

Unless he makes monumental gains in size, strength and skating in the next year, bypassing the AHL is extremely unlikely. He has had an electrifying season but he is in a relatively weak association of the NCAA and struggled mightily in his own end when faced with high end competition at the WJC as well as having struggled against larger players who can skate and protect the puck in college. He is super smart and he may just need more consistent exposure to stronger opposition for him to figure out a way to effectively defend against such competition. His pivots and explosiveness still require extensive development but he seems to have the drive to get there.

Overall I am pretty stoked to have him but he is very likely 3 years and maybe more from making the full time jump to the NHL. I think HuGo will really want to compete as soon as next season and there may not be as much room for development at the NHL level as the team improves and can't afford to lose games at the hands of rookies who are just too green to provide a net positive impact.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He has another 4 games to see how many points he can rack up. What a season!

He'll have more than that. In the NCAA, they count your points and games during the conference playoffs and in the Nationals, Frozen Four & National Championship.

They don't separate regular season and playoffs. It's all counted as one season.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Unless he makes monumental gains in size, strength and skating in the next year, bypassing the AHL is extremely unlikely. He has had an electrifying season but he is in a relatively weak association of the NCAA and struggled mightily in his own end when faced with high end competition at the WJC as well as having struggled against larger players who can skate and protect the puck in college. He is super smart and he may just need more consistent exposure to stronger opposition for him to figure out a way to effectively defend against such competition. His pivots and explosiveness still require extensive development but he seems to have the drive to get there.

Overall I am pretty stoked to have him but he is very likely 3 years and maybe more from making the full time jump to the NHL.

Agreed.
I think HuGo will really want to compete as soon as next season and there may not be as much room for development at the NHL level as the team improves and can't afford to lose games at the hands of rookies who are just too green to provide a net positive impact.
Nah man we're gonna suck big time next year too. There's still no very good goalie on the team. Gonna have a bunch of sophomore dmen, some of who will be jinxed, some of who had pretty bad injuries this year. It's gonna be a bumpy ride for a while.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013

Overall I am pretty stoked to have him but he is very likely 3 years and maybe more from making the full time jump to the NHL. I think HuGo will really want to compete as soon as next season and there may not be as much room for development at the NHL level as the team improves and can't afford to lose games at the hands of rookies who are just too green to provide a net positive impact.
Isn't H-East one of the strongest NCAA league? And BU has a great program going on. Why are you saying that it's a weak league since it's not?

He's not three years away from the NHL, one more year in the NCAA and he's going to be ready.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Isn't H-East one of the strongest NCAA league? And BU has a great program going on. Why are you saying that it's a weak league since it's not?

He's not three years away from the NHL, one more year in the NCAA and he's going to be ready.
Unlikely, he remains an undersized defenseman who needs to keep working on his flaws to become trustable at the NHL level. He will likely require some time in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad