Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Im not saying he wont be great down the road, Im saying he is still far from the NHL, you are saying 1 more yr in the NCAA and then NHL, thats overly optimistic IMO, but wonderful for the franchise if you are right.
One more year in the NCAA and 10 games in Laval plus the playoffs sounds reasonable to me. He could play in the NHL right-now and score like 30 points though, that's how good he is.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
One more year in the NCAA and 10 games in Laval plus the playoffs sounds reasonable to me. He could play in the NHL right-now and score like 30 points though, that's how good he is.
If that is really how good he is, then he shoulde be in Laval next year.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
He'll have more than that. In the NCAA, they count your points and games during the conference playoffs and in the Nationals, Frozen Four & National Championship.

They don't separate regular season and playoffs. It's all counted as one season.
I did not know that.. interesting.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Cmon guys.. the kid has the body of 14yo. And while there is no doubt his talent is through the roof, NHLers (even 4th liners) are incredibly fast and equally big/powerful. A jump prior to adding at least 25lbs of pure muscle would put him at serious risk of injury.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
One more year in the NCAA,

10 games to start in Montreal the next year, for a feel of the NHL tempo, followed by a trip to Laval.

If his play makes a case for it, Hutson could be up with the NHL roster after X-Mas, or after the trade deadline in two years.

If not, after a strong camp, he could play in Montreal in three years.

He needs to have the ability to showcase himself after one ore year in the NCAA where gaining mass and muscle should be the main objective, along with refining his game on both sides of the puck.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
If that is really how good he is, then he shoulde be in Laval next year.
The what now? In Laval? No f***ing way dude, Laval is a dumpster fire, none of our good prospects should play there unless they stack the team. One more year with BU then straight to the NHL unless Laval is stacked and have a shot to win big.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The what now? In Laval? No f***ing way dude, Laval is a dumpster fire, none of our good prospects should play there unless they stack the team. One more year with BU then straight to the NHL unless Laval is stacked and have a shot to win big.
Next year they should have Roy, probably Kidney, Davidson, Mailloux, Heineman possibly after December, chance at Engstrom, Dobes.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Next year they should have Roy, probably Kidney, Davidson, Mailloux, Heineman possibly after December, chance at Engstrom, Dobes.
Like I said, if they can find a way to stack the team it would be great, otherwise he's going to skip the AHL

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
You are disconnected, kid would get overmatched physically and would be a liability in his own end, no one question his talent, he has plenty, but he just couldnt handle the NHL right now and probably would have a hard time in the AHL too. NCAA caliber is mid way from the CHL to AHL, what he is doing offensively is quite impressive, but to translate his tools to the NHL, it will take some seasoning.

Reactions: themilosh

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
You are disconnected, kid would get overmatched physically and would be a liability in his own end, no one question his talent, he has plenty, but he just couldnt handle the NHL right now and probably would have a hard time in the AHL too. NCAA caliber is mid way from the CHL to AHL, what he is doing offensively is quite impressive, but to translate his tools to the NHL, it will take some seasoning.
I didn't say he wouldn't struggle in the NHL but he would still be able to produce close to 30 points. He needs some seasoning but all of the ingredients are there.

Reactions: Goldenhands

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I didn't say he wouldn't struggle in the NHL but he would still be able to produce close to 30 points. He needs some seasoning but all of the ingredients are there.
It's not just seaosning he needs. He also has to play at a higher level.

I know it is not popular to say this around here, but I think he needs to move up to Laval for 1-2 years. He will benefit more from the Habs development team than in a college environment where studies are as important, or more, than hockey.

Problem is, most kids are not willing to give up school for an AHL salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im not saying he wont be great down the road, Im saying he is still far from the NHL, you are saying 1 more yr in the NCAA and then NHL, thats overly optimistic IMO, but wonderful for the franchise if you are right.

Agreed. I don't mind players with size making it earlier cause they are more physically ready but guys like Hutson should not be rushed. If he turns the needle right away, you let him force your hand. If not, lets not play the pencil in the line-up game before they turn pro. For now, enjoy the show because this kid it putting up historic numbers in his 1st NCAA season at age 18/19. We will get a much better idea on his progression when he turns pro.

Points should not be the evaluation in his 1st season. Ability to deal with bigger players who skate well and play to MSL style is more important. Points come and go depending on the team depth. Got to learn how to play the NHL game first and that part is tough with the time/space being reduced.

Rather see him dominate the AHL first. Barron got sent there to work on his defensive game. Hutson will need this as well.

Lets not do a Mete round 2 again.

Reactions: Scriptor and BLONG7

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Cmon guys.. the kid has the body of 14yo. And while there is no doubt his talent is through the roof, NHLers (even 4th liners) are incredibly fast and equally big/powerful. A jump prior to adding at least 25lbs of pure muscle would put him at serious risk of injury.
Quinn Hughes also had the physique of a pre-pubescent girl.

Part of what makes Hutson so dynamic and elusive is his edge work and it makes him very difficult to track and actually hit.

I agree that Hutson needs more time, but let’s not pretend that beanpole Offensive Dmen haven’t had success in the NHL at a young age.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Quinn Hughes also had the physique of a pre-pubescent girl.

Part of what makes Hutson so dynamic and elusive is his edge work and it makes him very difficult to track and actually hit.

I agree that Hutson needs more time, but let’s not pretend that beanpole Offensive Dmen haven’t had success in the NHL at a young age.
Q. Hugues needed 2 full NCAA seasons before getting his cup of tea in the NHL at the end of his D+2.

I think about the same trajectory is reasonable for Hutson if he gains a bit of physical maturity.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
He might well put some points up, but at what cost?

You'd need something the size of a warehouse roof to shelter him with and more gear than Vasilevsky wears to protect him physically.

Christ I could crush him into goo and I'm simply a 50+ guy who still has (most) of his sporty mid-20s core muscle under some more luxurious upholstery these days. I'd only need to catch him the once ;-)

Hutson is far from being physically ready for the Pros and professional, fully-grown, athletes I think. No rush.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Was there a need to rush Slafkovsky? Some things don't change at the top.
The big difference, no pun intended, but Slaf is 80 lbs heavier than Hutson...............at least they knew he could handle some of the heaviness of an NHL game............
Hutson was 148 lbs at draft time..............that's tiny guys.
He has to get to around 170 lbs at least to handle the physical side of an NHL game...no matter the skill level.

Reactions: Walrus26

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
My inclination, having not watched Hutson play, is that if Hutson is overwhelmingly dominating the NCAA as is claimed the there is a risk of him getting lazy and developing bad habits. It would make sense to move him up a level, to Laval.

But I also thought that of Roy last year, and it looks like I was mistaken. His defensive game has apparently improved considerably.

Reactions: HankyZetts

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My inclination, having not watched Hutson play, is that if Hutson is overwhelmingly dominating the NCAA as is claimed the there is a risk of him getting lazy and developing bad habits. It would make sense to move him up a level, to Laval.

But I also thought that of Roy last year, and it looks like I was mistaken. His defensive game has apparently improved considerably.

One more year in the NCAA. He gets more time in the gym, he gets the unquestioned #1 spot on BUs blueline. It will be good for his growth.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

There are always areas in your game you can improve on. It's true that optically, it looks like they would get bored and develop bad habits. But there are always things the player can work on to improve.

And I think with the way Habs' development has been working, it keeps the players from getting too complacent. We see Adam Nicholas at practices and working individually with guys. But he also does video with the prospects at Junior and college. He has videos prepared of specific things they did well and specific things they need to work on. And he does one-on-one video chats with them regularly to show them.

So Hutson could go back to NCAA next year, but Adam Nicholas would not allow him to get complacent and develop bad habits.

You mentioned Roy, he is the perfect example of this new development system. Nicholas did video with him and told him things he needs to do to be a better pro hockey player. They told him they don't care if he wins the scoring title or not. And he shows improvement. We saw the benefits of that at the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad