Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Funny you say that because i'm glad i don't live in that world where the nihilism and negativity are so strong that having legendary seasons against peers are entirely discarded because the player may be 2 inches too short.

We've litterally just seen this with Caufield. I don't expect Hutson to instantly lose all of his hunger and skills when turning pro. He will find a way to make it work you can't teach what the guy does. Y'all seemed to have more hopes in Poehling at the time when he couldn't even produce in the NCAA i don't get it.

I find it insane to bet against guys showing as much dominance, skill and uniqueness as Hutson.

Calling people Nihilists because they don't believe in Sugar Candy Mountain is priceless.

You choose to ignore his enormous flaws in the dzone, nobody is denying his skill and honest conversation is all that I would ask of anyone.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Funny you say that because i'm glad i don't live in that world where the nihilism and negativity are so strong that having legendary seasons against peers are entirely discarded because the player may be 2 inches too short.

We've litterally just seen this with Caufield. I don't expect Hutson to instantly lose all of his hunger and skills when turning pro. He will find a way to make it work you can't teach what the guy does. Y'all seemed to have more hopes in Poehling at the time when he couldn't even produce in the NCAA i don't get it.

I find it insane to bet against guys showing as much dominance, skill and uniqueness as Hutson.
How’s Caufield doing in your opinion? Is he a superstar, a star, etc?

Hutson’s NCAA production is incredible. Counting chickens before they hatch is naive.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Calling people Nihilists because they don't believe in Sugar Candy Mountain is priceless.

You choose to ignore his enormous flaws in the dzone, nobody is denying his skill and honest conversation is all that I would ask of anyone.
If nobody is denying his skills then how are you all so low on a guy that just keeps dominating his competition? He's already playing against guys much bigger than him. He's already dominating them. Has been for his entire time playing the sport.

How’s Caufield doing in your opinion? Is he a superstar, a star, etc?

Hutson’s NCAA production is incredible. Counting chickens before they hatch is naive.
Caufield is doing better than what the consensus here seemed to be before he came to the NHL, and his size has been a lot less of a factor than most thought, imo.

He's not a superstar, or even a star yet, but would definitely be a great asset on any team.

Counting chickens before they hatch is naive, but so is folding your pocket aces pre-flop when you're being raised.

I believe Hutson's odds are in his favor and he's a horse worth betting on at this point.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If nobody is denying his skills then how are you all so low on a guy that just keeps dominating his competition? He's already playing against guys much bigger than him. He's already dominating them. Has been for his entire time playing the sport.

He is not dominating anything in the defensive zone and that is the problem.

He has great puck skills, a high IQ and he competes hard but he can't backskate and is a non factor in the Dzone when he doesn't have the puck. Comparing him to Caufield is ridiculous as Caufield is a winger and he is faster and stronger than Lane at the same age. Just staring at is stats and pretending that he doesn't have enormous defensive issues that will likely be exposed at the pro level considering how often he is beat by smaller, slower college and junior aged players than the players that he will face at the next level.

It takes serious blinders to not see the issues that he has but that does not mean that he will be a bust. It means that he still has a lot of development ahead of him and anointing him as a future star NHL dman is premature and not supported by his lack of progress in the defensive end.

Everyone should be patient before jumping to either extreme. Just enjoy his skills and hope for progress on his weaknesses, anything else is just noise tbh.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Counting chickens before they hatch is naive, but so is folding your pocket aces pre-flop when you're being raised.

I believe Hutson's odds are in his favor and he's a horse worth betting on at this point.
Has anyone, has any single Habs fans, proposed to trade Hutson?

Just because some hockey fans and commentators have remarked that they're cautious about his NHL success does not mean what you imply it means. Far from it. No one is folding this hand, it's just stupid to jump down everybody's throat for not being 100% gung-ho super delusional about a 5'8" dman prospect.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Is it though?

I don’t expect him to dominate defensively and neither should anyone else. He’ll always be limited defensively. His offensive skills are where his value lies.
He has great puck skills, a high IQ and he competes hard but he can't backskate and is a non factor in the Dzone when he doesn't have the puck. Comparing him to Caufield is ridiculous as Caufield is a winger and he is faster and stronger than Lane at the same age. Just staring at is stats and pretending that he doesn't have enormous defensive issues that will likely be exposed at the pro level considering how often he is beat by smaller, slower college and junior aged players than the players that he will face at the next level.

It takes serious blinders to not see the issues that he has but that does not mean that he will be a bust. It means that he still has a lot of development ahead of him and anointing him as a future star NHL dman is premature and not supported by his lack of progress in the defensive end.

Everyone should be patient before jumping to either extreme. Just enjoy his skills and hope for progress on his weaknesses, anything else is just noise tbh.
He’s a work in progress and needs to add muscle. It’ll be at least 25-26 before he’s in the league. But I do think his defensive weaknesses are being overblown.

Reactions: MoneyManny

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
for the more older posters that remember this board giving McDonagh shit for his WJC's but it seems like a time honored tradition now that posters overrate or underrate what a prospect does at a 4-5-6-7 game tournament. Suzuki was a bum after the WJC's, Poehling by the summer was talked about as a possible rookie of the year in the NHL.

Caufield both WJC's was a bum (I don't care if he's in a slump, he will score goals in the NHL, perhaps his shoulder isn't where he needs it to be yet, we need him in a couple years to be a 40 goal scorer, so not worried yet although I'm also not watching him play too much). On the other hand Collberg was going to be a stud when he was over a ppg at 17, or Romanov was going to suddenly show off so much more offensive upside that he's never shown before the WJC's or since.

It happens, fans get caught up in the emotion of it all, it's a fun time and it's easy to get carried away but in the end it doesn't mean much other then a great experience for them that they hopefully can build off.
Respectively this view is like the birth of the habs right now, and it's a slow process of build hence getting rid of prospects is stupid, if you want to rank it B+, C, etc, whatever. the rest falls apart, just gambling the whole team and becomes a comedy show

Reactions: montreal

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
It’s IN THIS THREAD!
You said that, and I believe you. What’s your point?

Is every conversation about every player necessary to turn into a “good patient noble fan” vs “bad impatient fan” shit fling just because someone, one time threw out a single comment?

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022

Caufield is doing better than what the consensus here seemed to be before he came to the NHL, and his size has been a lot less of a factor than most thought, imo.

He's not a superstar, or even a star yet, but would definitely be a great asset on any team.

Completely different leagues. Playing against bigger players in NCAA is not the same as playing against MEN that are more physically mature.

And Caufield is a winger. It's not a fair comparison for Huston since he's D. Size is more important on D than it is on wing.

Reactions: Don D

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

Just because some hockey fans and commentators have remarked that they're cautious about his NHL success does not mean what you imply it means. Far from it. No one is folding this hand, it's just stupid to jump down everybody's throat for not being 100% gung-ho super delusional about a 5'8" dman prospect.
3 posters on the last page of this thread

Is every conversation about every player necessary to turn into a “good patient noble fan” vs “bad impatient fan” shit fling just because someone, one time threw out a single comment?
you asked the question man

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Once again, are you going to produce any evidence of these enormous flaws? It’s not a strength doesn’t mean you have to treat it like he has several « enormous flaws ».

You’ve thrown thousands of comments.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Once again, are you going to produce any evidence of these enormous flaws? It’s not a strength doesn’t mean you have to treat it like he has several « enormous flaws ».

I have listed them ad nauseam, if you choose not to acknowledge them than I can not help you. Are you actually expecting we to walk you through the mountain of video evidence that is readily available to everyone?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I have listed them ad nauseam, if you choose not to acknowledge them than I can not help you. Are you actually expecting we to walk you through the mountain of video evidence that is readily available to everyone?

Your go to is to say you’ve listed things. You’ve got a long list of posts saying you’ve listed things or asking people to look it up themseves.

• Love
Reactions: MoneyManny

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021

Why do you have to exagerate? I haven't jumped down anybody's throat lol. It's a fact that he's lighting up his league and putting up legendary seasons already playing against fully grown men.

I think it's less silly to believe he's more likely to keep being who he already is, rather than believe he's going to hit an insurmountable invisible wall that may or may not exist.

We don't need Hutson to show us anything he's not already showing us to be a great player, think about it.

IDK. I believe the problem with fan scouting is a lot of us have a tendency to imagine skills that our prospects have never even shown in reality. Poehling for example wasn't even that good in the NCAA and people here expected him to magically become a 2nd liner in the NHL.

In the same fashion we can't ever expect Hutson to be good defensively. If it happens great, but it probably won't. But if he can just keep being who he already is i think he can be an electrifying and unique NHL player. And i think that's a decently safe bet as far as hockey prospects go what do you think?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00