Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
My inclination, having not watched Hutson play, is that if Hutson is overwhelmingly dominating the NCAA as is claimed the there is a risk of him getting lazy and developing bad habits. It would make sense to move him up a level, to Laval.

But I also thought that of Roy last year, and it looks like I was mistaken. His defensive game has apparently improved considerably.

Different players need different things. The Advantage of NCAA is the focus on strength training as they spend less time playing and more in the weight room.

Lane needs to work on strength training so NCAA may be the best place for him.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I think I asked this in the last thread but not sure anybody answered me.
Everybody is talking about weight/strength training but is there a source or something from the player himself that he is trying to bulk up?
Genuinely curious. The kid seems to know about his height and bone structure growth (lol) so I assume he is also aware of his weight being a bit light just wondering if any comments by him or people around him saying that he is working on it

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Everybody is talking about weight/strength training but is there a source or something from the player himself that he is trying to bulk up?
Genuinely curious. The kid seems to know about his height and bone structure growth (lol) so I assume he is also aware of his weight being a bit light just wondering if any comments by him or people around him saying that he is working on it
He's 19, 5"10 160 lbs. He's done growing but he might still pack on about 10 lbs. He's not getting any taller. He's small but he'll be fine, if Mete can survive so can he.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

I haven't seen anything, but we know the team has talked to him so hopefully they've explained to him that he needs to. But a good indicator will be his weight/height measurements next year at camp whether it be with Laval or Uni.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This talk about the NCAA weight room perplexes me. Can a player in the AHL not put in six hours a week into metabolic and strength training? Does all the travel make it harder to eat turkey breast and 🥦?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
if Mete can survive so can he.
Mete "survived" (until this year), but if he had had more strength to go along with his mind he might have even thrived. He was too small to be effective, for example he couldn't cover space in the defensive zone or be aggressive in the offensive zone.

He actually looked like a promising young player at one point, Bergevin even said that Price and Mete were the two untouchables on the roster.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
He's 19, 5"10 160 lbs. He's done growing but he might still pack on about 10 lbs. He's not getting any taller. He's small but he'll be fine, if Mete can survive so can he.
Wow, 165-170lbs on a 5'10" frame is.......

Weedy.

If my eldest daughter brought someone like that home, I'd look to find ways to suggest she looks for a real man, not a boy. Unless that weedy boy is the next Cale Makar / Adam Fox, of course.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
This talk about the NCAA weight room perplexes me. Can a player in the AHL not put in six hours a week into metabolic and strength training? Does all the travel make it harder to eat turkey breast and 🥦?
He should be taking HGH lol.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think he will get destroyed even if he plays at 155lbs.

Johnny Gaudreau for example is un-hittable. Hutson will develop the aptitude to dodge the hit.
He has that already, or else he wouldn't be as successful as he has been/is.

The question is whether or not that translates to the NHL.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Weedy.

If my eldest daughter brought someone like that home, I'd look to find ways to suggest she looks for a real man, not a boy. Unless that weedy boy is the next Cale Makar / Adam Fox, of cours
FYI, average American male looks like this:

USA-Frontmanmain.jpg.jpg

Meet the expectation value for your future son in law.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

Weedy.

If my eldest daughter brought someone like that home, I'd look to find ways to suggest she looks for a real man, not a boy. Unless that weedy boy is the next Cale Makar / Adam Fox, of course.
Sounds like you need to be less controling as a dad.

And stop projecting insane stereotypes as to what a man should be.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Weedy.

It's more weight than what Saku Koivu when he entered the league. We all know he was a boy though, not a real man.

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
Mete "survived" (until this year), but if he had had more strength to go along with his mind he might have even thrived. He was too small to be effective, for example he couldn't cover space in the defensive zone or be aggressive in the offensive zone.

He actually looked like a promising young player at one point, Bergevin even said that Price and Mete were the two untouchables on the roster.
I watched Mete when he played with London . Defensively he was always chasing the offense player in his end . Fortunately his partners were always bigger and stronger.Speed was his only elite part of his game.

Reactions: DAChampion

ginomini

May 25, 2014

Weedy.

165 lbs at 5'10 is actually an athlete's body. Like Kylian Mbappe is 5'10 165lbs....jeez!

And I sincerely hope that eldest daughter of yours is metaphorical and does not exist!

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Sounds like you need to be less controling as a dad.

And stop projecting insane stereotypes as to what a man should be.
Fair enough, point taken.

Mrs Walrus and Senior Daughter herself (serious field hockey and netball player that she is) like men to "fill a shirt nicely" - a phrase they both use. Different strokes for different folks.

I'll let Lane Hutson's hockey speak for him, and it says a lot of good things.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

Weedy.

5”10 170lbs is a normal weight for a healthy person and also it sounds like you have some personal problems

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
5'10 165 is very fit. Not weedy. 5'10 180 lean is brick shit house territory

Ummm....no.

5'10" 165 lbs is scrawny for a hockey player, that is just an easily verified fact.

FYI, average American male looks like this:

USA-Frontmanmain.jpg.jpg

Meet the expectation value for your future son in law.

What kind of racist computer generated this pasty offering as the average American male lol?

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Q. Hugues needed 2 full NCAA seasons before getting his cup of tea in the NHL at the end of his D+2.

I think about the same trajectory is reasonable for Hutson if he gains a bit of physical maturity.
Quinn made his debut in his D1 season, he was already at Michigan during his draft year.
Quinn was 5'10 180 in his rookie season.
Quinn was 7th overall and honestly should have gone top 3 at the time, people using him to justify Lane is lazy they have very little in common.
Quinn played in the world's at 17 and wasn't on the ice for a goal against, for his size his defense was never in question. Quinn is a top 5 skater in the league which is paramount for smaller D.
Some of the takes here are nuts, look at it this way, Quinn, Fox, Makar, are all top 10 dmen and aren't big, they have set a precedent , so the fact that no team took lane in the 1st knowing size can be overcome to a point means teams either don't think his skill is enough to overcome the size, or they don't see a kid that weighs 155 pounds realistically getting to a better weight.

Spurgeon is who size wise he should expect to become.
Hockey is filled with kids like him who are held back by size and weight that play defense.
Hope I'm wrong but the NHL is much different than the NCAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad