Post-Game Talk: Laffs 1 Jets 0 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

braunm

Oct 1, 2022
Excellent effort, heart and structure yesterday - very impressive.

However, not sure why this team can’t figure out puck and player movement on the PP. When I was playing peewee hockey, our coach had us performing frequent player switches and movement to open up lanes. These players should have mastered this these simple PP strategies as teenagers!

Reactions: Crocket and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They don't really have anyone else, but I've read posts that he's fine in that role, which he isn't.

I don't support Chevy making a panic move right now though. One more game until the break.

Yup, it's the biggest need for the team heading into the deadline.

Excellent effort, heart and structure yesterday - very impressive.

However, not sure why this team can’t figure out puck and player movement on the PP. When I was playing peewee hockey, our coach had us performing frequent player switches and movement to open up lanes. These players should have mastered this these simple PP strategies as teenagers!

Agreed. I really don't know why our players insist on standing around on the perimeter slowly passing the puck back and forth. I guess maybe they hope that they are so slow and boring they lull the PK to sleep lol.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Oh its just the usual tripe we see when the Jets lose.

Pionk had to step out and take a couple of strides before making that pass. Too easy to pick off in that situation
I can see what he was trying to do, Ehlers was racing up the middle, and honestly 90% of the time that gets through. But you can't make that play in OT

Reactions: Jet

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I feel the exact opposite of our win over Ottawa.

Team played very well. Dominated for the most part 5on5 without our 1D, 1C and a top line winger.

Samsonov played well, as did LB.

PP is a problem and offensive depth is a problem. That being said, at least we play such a good defensive game that we have a chance when we are struggling on offense.

On to the next.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I can see what he was trying to do, Ehlers was racing up the middle, and honestly 90% of the time that gets through. But you can't make that play in OT
Yup, there's the illusion of space but actually 3 v 3 is easier to defend when you're set. You step out and take a couple of strides and then the player checking you has to respect that you might try and beat them such changes your posture.

Neal tends to make the odd ill advised play but overall I'm happy with him. That hit last night was great. I do wish he'd hit something else more often... the net.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
This game cements the fact that hockey gods do not exist.

We dummied them for most of the game, completely dominating them in all zones. We did not allow them to breath with the puck, forcing TO all over the place. It was beautiful to watch.

If hockey gods existed they would never have allowed this outcome.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He didn't make any mistakes, and I think he worked hard all night tonight, he also created a few offensive chances and flashed some skill a few times. Hard to be an impact player with 13 mins of ice, no PP time and no OT ice, all while playing with 21 and 9.

I agree you should be able to play well with any one regardless of 4th liner or 1st liner, however it is much harder to produce and look good when you are playing with lower players in the lineup. I guarantee you Scheif, KFC, Fly etc wouldn't look as good if they were playing with those guys as opposed to each other and playing the minutes they were.
Yes, it is much harder to "look good" when playing with lower players - but I wasn't referring to how good he looked.
More about effort - I didn't see much. Sometimes it's just about the work and effort in situations where you are down players and working with less talent.
That's what I am referring to - we don't all need to agree on that - just going off my own observations and we don't all see the same things out there.
Your points are valid - maybe we can leave it at that.

Reactions: NA Hockey

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
This game cements the fact that hockey gods do not exist.

We dummied them for most of the game, completely dominating them in all zones. We did not allow them to breath with the puck, forcing TO all over the place. It was beautiful to watch.

If hockey gods existed they would never have allowed this outcome.
Unless they are malicious tricksters with a perverse sense of humour like many of the deities in Greek, Roman, and Norse mythology (and probably others).

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Leafs are brutal. You see why they get bounced out in the first round. I was quite shocked with how poorly they played.

Also see how important Scheif is to this team, as with any 1c. Could get away with Connor out, can't get away with no scheif. Bet this is an eye opener for Chevy to add a 2c as well.

Listing to Leafs post game interviews and Sheldon felt they played a solid game.

They remind me so much of us under Maurice. Oblivious to the fact they sucked and their goalie is absolutely the only reason they were even in that game, let alone winning it.

They are not a very good team, 4 of our top players missing and we basically owned them for the majority of this game.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Also, because I talked about one of my favorite rules that needs a patch, and since the game featured a 2 man breakaway on Ilya, allow me to shed a tear of warm memories for David Leggio, who will play goal on my "All-Time Mad Genius" team.

He knows exactly what he did, as you can see when he points directly to center ice, and he's the only one that knew what was going on, as both the refs and the commentators were very confused. And yes, both the AHL and the NHL immediately patched their rules after this happened. As did the DHL when he did the same in Germany :P

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Also, because I talked about one of my favorite rules that needs a patch, and since the game featured a 2 man breakaway on Ilya, allow me to shed a tear of warm memories for David Leggio, who will play goal on my "All-Time Mad Genius" team.

He knows exactly what he did, as you can see when he points directly to center ice, and he's the only one that knew what was going on, as both the refs and the commentators were very confused. And yes, both the AHL and the NHL immediately patched their rules after this happened. As did the DHL when he did the same in Germany :P

Smart play, as 2 on 0's are basically a sure goal and...oh...:(

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It was frustrating watching the Jets unable to finish chances, but the Leafs were just terrible. I don't know what's going on with that team, but - as someone said in the GDT - they look they're trying to get their coach fired.

Speaking of firing coaches, I think it's time for Lauer to go now that we're wallowing in this 2 game winless streak...

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Smart play, as 2 on 0's are basically a sure goal and...oh...:(

I mean, it's still a smart play because it's rather trivial to show that a 2-on-0 has a higher expected value than a 1-on-0 :P I don't know exactly how the Hockey Gods work but I like to think they had Leggio's back on that penalty shot.

I'll take 3/6 points on this trip against a SC contender a SC pretender and a bottom feeder as passable. Still in first in the Central and if they want to stay there during their break 2 points on Saturday is a must.

3 of 6 points under incredibly adverse conditions, I might add.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It was frustrating watching the Jets unable to finish chances, but the Leafs were just terrible. I don't know what's going on with that team, but - as someone said in the GDT - they look they're trying to get their coach fired.

Speaking of firing coaches, I think it's time for Lauer to go now that we're wallowing in this 2 game winless streak...

Yeah, I agree that they look to have tuned out the coach. It's usually close to the end when you have to resort to benching your stars like Keefe resorted to right after that PP that gave up the 2 on 0.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad