Post-Game Talk: Laffs 1 Jets 0 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
lol I wouldn’t you guys repairing my house or cars. You don’t ripped out the engine when your brakes don’t works or tear down the walls when you door doesn’t close.
There is no reason to change all the lines sure switch a couple of guys around but not all of them.
The Jets had lots of chances to score sometimes they go in and other times they don’t.
Bones has already tried a few tweaks with moving the centres around. Not sure what other minor moves he can make at this point

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
When you toss your stick you know the nuts are singing.
Even a blind Leaf can find a nut once in a while.

Leafs are brutal. You see why they get bounced out in the first round. I was quite shocked with how poorly they played.

Also see how important Scheif is to this team, as with any 1c. Could get away with Connor out, can't get away with no scheif. Bet this is an eye opener for Chevy to add a 2c as well.
Agreed. My only take is add “Scheiffle and Morrissey..”

Reactions: kylbaz and Jets 31

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Disagree. The flow of events is solely on pionk.
Ignoring your man, the league’s leading goal scorer was good defense? It wasn’t that fast of a play. Even Bones said it was on Ehlers.

You can even give some blame to Lowry, who looked out of gas, for not attempting to get to the passer and hoping for a shot from the boards instead of a pass to a wide open Matthews.

Saying it was all Pionk seems a little bias.

Reactions: kanadalainen

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Also, because I talked about one of my favorite rules that needs a patch, and since the game featured a 2 man breakaway on Ilya, allow me to shed a tear of warm memories for David Leggio, who will play goal on my "All-Time Mad Genius" team.

He knows exactly what he did, as you can see when he points directly to center ice, and he's the only one that knew what was going on, as both the refs and the commentators were very confused. And yes, both the AHL and the NHL immediately patched their rules after this happened. As did the DHL when he did the same in Germany :P

Looks like me when CRA comes to audit my projects

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Ignoring your man, the league’s leading goal scorer was good defense? It wasn’t that fast of a play. Even Bones said it was on Ehlers.

You can even give some blame to Lowry, who looked out of gas, for not attempting to get to the passer and hoping for a shot from the boards instead of a pass to a wide open Matthews.

Saying it was all Pionk seems a little bias.
Ha, ha... so lets assume that I'm biased, now. :) And sure, Bones is expert (but perhaps not omnipotent).

So, allow me to offer a more thorough argument. Lets think about the play. Ehlers was streaking up the middle as the Jets get set for one more rush - he was in full flight. Runs his patented half- circle wind up and then straight to north/south.

Pionk has the puck and wants to pass. The play is a set play, and its telegraphed, which shouId'nt matter at that late stage. I really like Pionk in this game, and he played a ton of minutes (27 IIRC), but as @Jet said, he needed to take about 3 more strides to get clear of the forecheck. Likely, because he is gassed, he doesn't take those steps. Instead he gets stripped of the puck. Its a turnover.

Ehlers sees this and attempts to come back. A chaotic puck scrum in the corner, Ehlers does not get back to Matthews who interferes in the crease and pops the goal essentially in Brossoit's lap.

Is this Ehlers fault? In a stretch and technically yes, because he didn't have Matthews. Why didn't he have Matthews? Well because he was blazing down the middle at 32 kmph in the opposite direction to execute the capture of the set pass from Pionk. If one searches for first domino, its Pionk's flubbed pass and chaotic echange deep in the Jets' zone that ultimately causes this blown play.

To directly address your comments:

Yes Lowry contributed to the goal, as did Ehlers.

However,

Did Ehlers "ignore his man"? Probably not.
Did Lowry ignore his guy to stop the pass? Probably not, just, as you say, out of gas.
Did Pionk get stripped? Yes, certainly. Again, likely as he was gassed.

Are they all culpable? Sure. But here is my point: the goal wouldn't have occurred if Pionk wasn't stripped. I would suggest that Bones' comment is purposefully simplistic and probably used the opportunity as a coaching moment.

My opinion only.

Last edited:

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Ha, ha... so lets assume that I'm biased, now. :) And sure, Bones is expert (but perhaps not omnipotent).

So, allow me to offer a more thorough argument. Lets think about the play. Ehlers was streaking up the middle as the Jets get set for one more rush - he was in full flight. Runs his patented half- circle wind up and then straight to north/south.

Pionk has the puck and wants to pass. The play is a set play, and its telegraphed, which shouId'nt matter at that late stage. I really like Pionk in this game, and he played a ton of minutes (27 IIRC), but as @Jet said, he needed to take about 3 more strides to get clear of the forecheck. Likely, because he is gassed, he doesn't take those steps. Instead he gets stripped of the puck. Its a turnover.

Ehlers sees this and attempts to come back. A chaotic puck scrum in the corner, Ehlers does not get back to Matthews who interferes in the crease and pops the goal essentially in Brossoit's lap.

Is this Ehlers fault? In a stretch and technically yes, because he didn't have Matthews. Why didn't he have Matthews? Well because he was blazing down the middle at 32 kmph in the opposite direction to execute the capture of the set pass from Pionk. If one searches for first domino, its Pionk's flubbed pass and chaotic echange deep in the Jets' zone that ultimately causes this blown play.

However,

Did Lowry ignore his guy to stop the pass? Probably not, just, as you say, out of gas.

Are they all culpable? Sure. But here is my point: the goal wouldn't have occurred if Pionk wasn't stripped. I would suggest that Bones' comment is purposefully simplistic and probably used the opportunity as a coaching moment.

My opinion only.

Agree with this. Ehlers could have come all the way back into the crease, but it's not like it was a missed assignment or something. It just wasn't what he was supposed to be doing on the play. He was getting ready to break and stretch the ice, as he should have been.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

However,

My opinion only.
So it wasn’t “Solely on Pionk”, which is what make you sound bias.

Ehlers saw Matthews and let him go by him to the net with just a little Patrick Liane waive of the stick.You can’t do that. it’s Not a stretch. You can’t ignore the leagues #1 goal scorer and allow him to go anywhere he want unchecked in OT. that’s what happened. Make as many domino excuses as you want for Ehlers, it was a bad look. I’m not saying it was “solely on Ehlers”, but for a guy who is constantly given credit as great defensively because of the spread sheets it was awful effort.

I have no doubt in my mind he would have turned On the Jets if there was a turn over and he was on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad