Rumor: Kypreos - Pacioretty and LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Then why give them the special talent tag if we're going to give it out to everyone who's having success at Junior level? If that's the case, let's just give every Center at Junior level who's having more than 1.5 points per game the special talent tag.

Let's be honest here, we're talking about them being the top C prospects in the league because all the elite talents at C that were drafted in the same years as them are already playing in the show.

I like Thomas, Vilardi and Borgstrom (We can easily include Necas and Poehling as well) but let be honest here, they don't have the potential to be clear cut #1 C in this league. My guess is 2/5 will become legit top 6 C, two will become legit #3 C and one will bust.

Although I can understand why fans of those teams would be reluctant to let go of their C prospects, I find it funny that they act as if they had a winning lottery ticket in their hands. <--- That was mostly directed to Blues fans who acted like *******s in the past month, it's been a real joy seeing your team go downhill lately, especially after all the **** you guys said to Hawks fans on twitter.
Kings fans and probably management think they got themselves a player they werent expecting at 11th overall.

His numbers and play right could mean we are right. Lets be honest, fans get emotionally attached to their picks if they are playing great.

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The real question Kings fans have to ask is if Vilardi's skating is going to get better. If it doesn't he's never going to be as good as he could be. I watched him a lot in Windsor. 10 years ago wouldn't be as much of a problem. Today? Might be harder for him to find his place in the league.

I don't see the Kings making the trade, but even if they do, I don't see Vilardi excelling in Montreal. The Atlantic is getting faster.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

Even though Vilardi was still available when the Kings were up with the 11th overall pick, they weren’t going to take the chance that the player they had targeted might not be available. In fact, they made more than one attempt to trade up to get him.
“He was [ranked third or fourth] on every list there was,” Yanetti said. “Maybe he was [fifth] on one list. We’re talking about a guy who’s a consensus three or four pick that we got at 11. As a staff, we certainly weren’t content to wait until 11. However, it becomes very easy to wait to get a guy at 11 when every [team] you talk to instantly rebuffs you.”
“Not only did they not want to move, but no one even wanted to consider moving,” Yanetti added. “They didn’t even want to hear our proposals, and that’s their right. ”

This sums it up.

His skating isnt pretty but good enough. Similar to Kopitar.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Kings fans and probably management think they got themselves a player they werent expecting at 11th overall.

His numbers and play right makes it even more difficult.

Can't deny that. That's not what I'm saying. There's a reason he's one of the top ranked C prospects right now but that doesn't mean he's a special talent. Here's 3 prime examples of "top ranked C prospects" draft year +1 that either didn't make it as C or are struggling to find a roster spot in the NHL:

- Galchenyuk**: 33GP, 27G, 34A, 61 Points
- Michael Dal Colle: 30G, 27G, 28A, 55 Points
- Dylan Strome: 35GP, 22G, 53A, 75 Points

** Only played half a season in the OHL because of the lockout.
*** I stopped at 3.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Then why give them the special talent tag if we're going to give it out to everyone who's having success at Junior level? If that's the case, let's just give every Center at Junior level who's having more than 1.5 points per game the special talent tag.

Let's be honest here, we're talking about them being the top C prospects in the league because all the elite talents at C that were drafted in the same years as them are already playing in the show.

I like Thomas, Vilardi and Borgstrom (We can easily include Necas and Poehling as well) but let be honest here, they don't have the potential to be clear cut #1 C in this league. My guess is 2/5 will become legit top 6 C, two will become legit #3 C and one will bust.

Although I can understand why fans of those teams would be reluctant to let go of their C prospects, I find it funny that they act as if they had a winning lottery ticket in their hands. <--- That was mostly directed to Blues fans who acted like *******s in the past month, it's been fun seeing your team go downhill lately, especially after you guys started to muck Habs fan on almost every non-Pacioretty thread with Thomas and all the **** you guys said to Hawks fans on twitter. Karma.

I'm fairly certain most Blues fans also said (in those same threads) that their window isn't now, so making a now move didnt make sense. They acknowledged that this wasnt going to be their year because they had too many injuries and holes. But i guess reading is hard.

Reactions: stl76

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I'm fairly certain most Blues fans also said (in those same threads) that their window isn't now, so making a now move didnt make sense. They acknowledged that this wasnt going to be their year because they had too many injuries and holes. But i guess reading is hard.

That's not where I have an issue with. Saying no is fair play and understandable. What I can't stand is those same fans going on Galchenyuk/Plakanec related threads (not even to St-Louis) and started mocking Habs fans with "Oh, Galchenyuk to X team for X player? How about Thomas for Galchenyuk? Or was it for Pacioretty? I can't remember.." That's what I have an issue with. Maybe if it only happened once or twice but it happened at least 7 times with multiple Blues fans, not just one.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Can't deny that. That's not what I'm saying. There's a reason he's one of the top ranked C prospects right now but that doesn't mean he's a special talent. Here's 3 prime examples of "top ranked C prospects" draft year +1 that either didn't make it as C or are struggling to find a roster spot in the NHL:

- Galchenyuk**: 33GP, 27G, 34A, 61 Points
- Michael Dal Colle: 30G, 27G, 28A, 55 Points
- Dylan Strome: 35GP, 22G, 53A, 75 Points

** Only played half a season in the OHL because of the lockout.
*** I stopped at 3.
yes but for all we know, Vilardi can turn out be a bust like Dal Colle as well.

What I am saying, in hindsight its easy to call Barzal a special talent. He certainly wasnt one when drafted. Nobody knows which players from last years draft are special. Personally, i think one or two will turn out to be better than Hischier.

I never had a problem to trade late 1st round picks when the Kings were still contenders. I wasnt pleased when we traded the 13th overall pick for a player the Kings had no room for. Now the situation is even more tricky. Its not even certain if the Kings reach the playoffs.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
yes but for all we know, Vilardi can turn out be a bust like Dal Colle as well.

What I am saying, in hindsight its easy to call Barzal a special talent. He certainly wasnt one when drafted. Nobody knows which players from last years draft are special. Personally, i think one or two will turn out to be better than Hischier.

I never had a problem to trade late 1st round picks when the Kings were still contenders. I wasnt pleased when we traded the 13th overall pick for a player the Kings had no room for. Now the situation is even more tricky. Its not even certain if the Kings reach the playoffs.

At some point in his draft year, wasn't Barzal scouted as the third best player behind McDavid and Eichel? I remember reading somewhere that was the case. Anyway, he now proved that he is special and if Vilardi follows the same path (I doubt it, but we never know), I will gladly eat my words. However, there's clearly a huge gap in speed, shot and talent between Hischier, Patrick and the other ones (Vilardi, Thomas, Necas & Poehling) of the 2017 draft.

As for the Kings not wanting to trade Vilardi, that's understandable. However, it's clear that Montreal and LA had (and probably still does) have discussions for Pacioretty and it's also very clear that Bergevin will not move Pacioretty unless a young C is coming back. Obviously, if LA is not open to adding Vilardi to a package for Pacioretty, he's not going to be traded (at least not to LA).

Reactions: schnapshot

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
At some point in his draft year, wasn't Barzal scouted as the third best player behind McDavid and Eichel? I remember reading somewhere that was the case. Anyway, he now proved that he is special and if Vilardi follows the same path (I doubt it, but we never know), I will gladly eat my words. However, there's clearly a huge gap in speed, shot and talent between Hischier, Patrick and the other ones (Vilardi, Thomas, Necas & Poehling) of the 2017 draft.

As for the Kings not wanting to trade Vilardi, that's understandable. However, it's clear that Montreal and LA had (and probably still does) have discussions for Pacioretty and it's also very clear that Bergevin will not move Pacioretty unless a young C is coming back. Obviously, if LA is not open to adding Vilardi to a package for Pacioretty, he's not going to be traded (at least not to LA).
Speed definitely, that might be a reason why he fell. Many injuries at young age as well. Could be another reason.

Vilardi was labeled as top pick all year long. Cant be said about the others. Talentwise, shot..there is no huge gap at all. He is the complete package. He should be, with that awkward skating style.

Next year he will play in the NHL.

Kings never had someone this promising since Schenn.

Last edited:

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
I find it hard to say a player like Dal Colle is a bust in his first year of pro hockey. We are quick to judge young players when they do not make the NHL by the time they are 20.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I find it hard to say a player like Dal Colle is a bust in his first year of pro hockey. We are quick to judge young players when they do not make the NHL by the time they are 20.
We are. His numbers in the AHL are underwhelming and he also has skating issues.

Currently i am more comfortable with the label bust than potential top 6 player.

You are an OHL follower, you must have seen Villardi play.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
From a Habs POV, I'd rather not trade for Vilardi, I think he's more prone to being a bust than being a first line center, also see his total upside being a decent second line center a la Jason Allison but those don't really work out well in the modern day NHL. Not convinced.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That's not where I have an issue with. Saying no is fair play and understandable. What I can't stand is those same fans going on Galchenyuk/Plakanec related threads (not even to St-Louis) and started mocking Habs fans with "Oh, Galchenyuk to X team for X player? How about Thomas for Galchenyuk? Or was it for Pacioretty? I can't remember.." That's what I have an issue with. Maybe if it only happened once or twice but it happened at least 7 times with multiple Blues fans, not just one.

I imagine its probably about as annoying/frustrating as seeing a new thread every day of a fanbase trying to acquire your top C prospect with the same couple of assets, when you told them he wouldnt be made available unless it was in a deal for a legitimate 1C, since center is their position of need.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
From a Habs POV, I'd rather not trade for Vilardi, I think he's more prone to being a bust than being a first line center, also see his total upside being a decent second line center a la Jason Allison but those don't really work out well in the modern day NHL. Not convinced.
If he turns out like Allison, he's a great player. Allison finished top 10 in points twice, including being tied for 4th in his best season, and another time right outside the top 10. Hell even after missing an entire season he came back and put up 60 pts.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

So this kind of goes back to the last few pages of the thread. Is there a quote that says this? Im not trying to be a jerk here at all, i promise. It just seems like the Kings fans are being crucified for saying Vilardi isnt/shouldnt be available, and despite being shown several sources that point to that, it's not acceptable.

However ,I haven't seen anything - and i admit, i only briefly looked - where Bergevin said Pacioretty isnt moving unless a young top6 1C potential center is coming back. I understand that logically, that return makes sense - just as i understand that logically, the Kings shouldnt trade Vilardi because they need a young C in the system. I'm just trying to understand the absolutism, that's all.

Reactions: Colt55

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Although I can understand why fans of those teams would be reluctant to let go of their C prospects, I find it funny that they act as if they had a winning lottery ticket in their hands. <--- That was mostly directed to Blues fans who acted like *******s in the past month, it's been fun seeing your team go downhill lately, especially after you guys started to muck Habs fan on almost every non-Pacioretty thread with Thomas and all the **** you guys said to Hawks fans on twitter. Karma.

The other part of it is LA hasn't had a slew of high picks in recent years so to essentially win the lottery in getting Vilardi at #11 is a rare treat to supplement a team that's not tanking for elite center talent. Can't afford to trade him because it would be starting over from that standpoint. No one is saying he's McDavid, but he's surely a blue chip prospect, don't know why or how anyone would downplay that. I can't speak for Blues fans entirely but to some degree it's a similar phenomenon to get hits in Thomas and Kyrou later in the draft since neither team has been drafting top-10 lately. Those are huge picks for franchises who have been competitive for a while and that's why they're reluctant to part--of course, neither team is TBL/Pittsburgh, which is why they're a bit more reluctant to deal.

Boy that sounds familiar...remind you of anyone else we've been talking about for 17 pages here?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Oh yeah, just a decent 95-point second line center like Jason Allison. I could live with that if he ended up that kind of 2C.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
Oh yeah, just a decent 95-point second line center like Jason Allison. I could live with that if he ended up that kind of 2C.

I mean if you factoring in the scoring differential, it would be more likely 50-60 points at peak development. Which is still great and super valuable nonetheless. Even as a Habs fan, I can see why Vilardi would be an untouchable, as we are desperately trying to get something similar on our end. It just seems that everytime Montreal finishes low, there is never that can't miss center prospect in the draft (there were so many in 2017). On a side note, we would very much like for you guys to make the playoffs though, so best of luck!

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
this is it guys!

the day where Montreal retools perfectly with their future #1C Vilardi, and excellent mid level 1st rd pick in a deep draft and possibly their clutch player for the foreseeable future Tanner Pearson

and sorry Kings fans, this is the day where we get Max Patch, the player that disappears for his country and his team in the playoffs, the guy that under pressure will not perform but will give you 30 goals a year in games that don't matter. As a result, we'll finish 9th or 10th and ensure Montreal gets a higher draft pick (but because we are forever in ''win now limbo'', the fact that our next best prospect is whoever we get with our 2nd rd pick in da deepest draft evaaa won't matter cuz we always in win now!)

**disclaimer ''win now'' doesn't guarantee that your team makes the playoffs

so everyone... get ready.... set.... go!!!

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
this is it guys!

the day where Montreal retools perfectly with their future #1C Vilardi, and excellent mid level 1st rd pick in a deep draft and possibly their clutch player for the foreseeable future Tanner Pearson

and sorry Kings fans, this is the day where we get Max Patch, the player that disappears for his country and his team in the playoffs, the guy that under pressure will not perform but will give you 30 goals a year in games that don't matter. As a result, we'll finish 9th or 10th and ensure Montreal gets a higher draft pick (but because we are forever in ''win now limbo'', the fact that our next best prospect is whoever we get with our 2nd rd pick in da deepest draft evaaa won't matter cuz we always in win now!)

**disclaimer ''win now'' doesn't guarantee that your team makes the playoffs

so everyone... get ready.... set.... go!!!

Actually much of the last few pages has been about cheapening Vilardi's potential and asserting he won't be a top line C, so it would be hilarious to see the pivot if they did somehow get him after all...

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
The real question Kings fans have to ask is if Vilardi's skating is going to get better. If it doesn't he's never going to be as good as he could be. I watched him a lot in Windsor. 10 years ago wouldn't be as much of a problem. Today? Might be harder for him to find his place in the league.

I don't see the Kings making the trade, but even if they do, I don't see Vilardi excelling in Montreal. The Atlantic is getting faster.
cool, stop asking for him.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
When you're as talented as Vilardi is you don't need to be an elite skater. Look at Ryan Getzlaf, Anze Kopitar, Leon Draisaitl, Aleksander Barkov, and countless others

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

He is suited for the West. What makes him great is he anticipates the play so he positions himself very well. Also, if he gets to a puck in the corner, he’s the one coming out with it. So while he’s not fast, he’s going to win the majority of his battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad