Player Discussion: Kyle Connor : Lady Byng Winner

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Schmidt and Ehlers picked up a vote each too!

Ehlers probably because of the times he's gone out of his way to protect hurt players on the opposing team, would probably get more if it weren't for his diving.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interesting factoid
McDavid career Goals Per Game = .4907
Connor career GPG = .4635

So obviously, KC is no McD but ........

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
seen lots of commentary on KC's season, notably compared to last year.

career averages coming into this year over 82 gp vs (this year):
5v5 goals: 21.7...taking out his 2016 it'd be 22. (20)
PP goals: 9.7....taking out his 2016 it'd be 10. (8)

he's scored 7 OT+EN Goals last season, vs 3 this year. id say these are tougher to predict season-by-season.

SH% is down, career prior to this year was 15.27% - difference of 9 goals on the same '22-'23 SOG volume. or by xGF vs GF standards, prior this year he's a career +44.8 goals (all strengths) or a factor of 1.33 (178 goals/133.2 xGF), which would be 39 goals this year.

i think last year was a bit of a "peak" or high season based on career norms, but this year he's def not produced at a rate we are customarily used to, even though his 5v5+PP goal raw totals are close to his career averages, his overall finishing rates was much lower (surprise surprise given the team this year under Bowness).

Last edited:

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
Former Jets forward Patrik Laine was asked in an interview with Finnish media who is the most underrated player in the NHL. He says that a couple of years ago he would have answered fellow countryman Alexander Barkov. Now he thinks it is Kyle Connor.

Does Connor get sufficiently appreciated in Winnipeg and/or in the league?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
seen lots of commentary on KC's season, notably compared to last year.

career averages coming into this year over 82 gp vs (this year):
5v5 goals: 21.7...taking out his 2016 it'd be 22. (20)
PP goals: 9.7....taking out his 2016 it'd be 10. (8)

he's scored 7 OT+EN Goals last season, vs 3 this year. id say these are tougher to predict season-by-season.

SH% is down, career prior to this year was 15.27% - difference of 9 goals on the same '22-'23 SOG volume. or by xGF vs GF standards, prior this year he's a career +44.8 goals (all strengths) or a factor of 1.33 (178 goals/133.2 xGF), which would be 39 goals this year.

i think last year was a bit of a "peak" or high season based on career norms, but this year he's def not produced at a rate we are customarily used to, even though his 5v5+PP goal raw totals are close to his career averages, his overall finishing rates was much lower (surprise surprise given the team this year under Bowness).

Last season he played more in a pairing with PLD and the main thing is his shooting volumes exploded which is a huge stat IMO. He was a more confident player and he was on a role most of the season and dare I say a bit of a driver. This season he looked less effective playing with 55 but I also noticed he seemed less effective with 81 in my limited viewings. He was more assertive and confident last season.

This season he seemed to slip back into his usual skilled complimentary role. Heck of a goal scorer and I appreciate that about him.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Former Jets forward Patrik Laine was asked in an interview with Finnish media who is the most underrated player in the NHL. He says that a couple of years ago he would have answered fellow countryman Alexander Barkov. Now he thinks it is Kyle Connor.

Does Connor get sufficiently appreciated in Winnipeg and/or in the league?
By the league? Categorically no. I mean I think opposing teams recognize KC for what he is, a potent goal scorer. So I don't think teams take him lightly or overlook him. I'm sure the players get it. But the league's fans? Yeah, for sure. Winnipeg effect, we're an afterthought for many fans.

In Winnipeg? Yeah, I think so. Lots of love for him on the board, but also pretty fair recognition of what he really is. A goal scorer through and through. His defense isn't great, though I argue it has been shown to be far better away from Scheifele than with him. I think he went through something this year, mentally or physically and it was noted. Bit of a down year, but I'd guess he'd be one of the last three players that fans would want traded away - Helle being one, Scheifele or Ehlers would fit for most of the rest (noting nobody wants to trade anyone playing to their potential and performing).

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
11 goals in 39 career playoff games for this useless piece of shit. f*** Kyle Connor.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
11 goals in 39 career playoff games for this useless piece of shit. f*** Kyle Connor.
11 more playoffs goals than you'll ever score.

What a stupid f***ing post. KFC got 8 shots on net in a game twice this series. Sometimes they just don't go in.

When things don't go right for us is there anyone toxic Jets "fans" don't want to run out of town?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

What a stupid f***ing post. KFC got 8 shots on net in a game twice this series. Sometimes they just don't go in.

When things don't go right for us is there anyone toxic Jets "fans" don't want to run out of town?
While i agree with you there is no denying Connor has to be alot better, he's basically invisible for way too much during this playoff run. We need him scoring .

Reactions: hockeyarena

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
He had lots of shots yesterday but Brossoit always saw them. He is capable of doing great things with that shot just below the face off circle, but this series has seen him to be a bit unlucky and his game was forced to the periphery. Kind of a mirror on his year (2023). Lots of speed, but doesn't venture to the slot very often.

Reactions: Jets 31

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

I don't get paid millions of dollars to score goals in the NHL. You couldn't come up with a way to defend yet another terrible playoff performance by this supposedly elite goal scorer so you resort to lame personal attacks.

11 goals in 39 games for a player that is supposed be one of the best goal scorers in the NHL is pathetic. This is an ongoing issue, he disappears every year when the games get tough.

He isn't a playoff performer and if you took your head out of his ass maybe you would see that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hockeyarena

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't get paid millions of dollars to score goals in the NHL. You couldn't come up with a way to defend yet another terrible playoff performance by this supposedly elite goal scorer so you resort to lame personal attacks.

11 goals in 39 games for a player that is supposed be one of the best goal scorers in the NHL is pathetic. This is an ongoing issue, he disappears every year when the games get tough.

He isn't a playoff performer and if you took your head out of his ass maybe you would see that.
Yep none of our stars are playoff guys. Eels is injured again, Dubois has been invisible ditto with Schief and Connor. The whole lot of them can go.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I'm pretty sure one playoff goal every 4 games is pretty good.

My issue isn't with Connor historically in the playoffs - I think he's actually been a good performer for us. My concern is for how he's played essentially since the all star break. I don't think it's a 'playoffs' thing, though dang - did we need him to rediscover his game to have a shot at winning this series.

He just doesn't have the Connor confidence and swagger he usually does.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Apparently we were a little down on Connor after the playoffs last season. :laugh:. Just bumping this thread because right now he's tied for the most goals in the NHL and is playing really well and he makes almost half the salary of the greatest goal scorer of all time Matthews.

Not to mention his playoffs performance historically, especially scoring is pretty decent and aligns with some pretty big names in hockey.

Some people are just delusional

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Not to mention his playoffs performance historically, especially scoring is pretty decent and aligns with some pretty big names in hockey.

Some people are just delusional
I think he will have a Mike Fartner type career. Play for 20 years.

Connor should reach 500 goals easily.

Reactions: Jet and Dale53130

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Hopefully, he can find a way to split the difference between prime Gartner and Bossy. It's not too late for him to make that extra jump, and I love his passing skills that I think still gets overlooked.
I agree - his passing is exceptional, especially in the ozone and on the PP.
Going into this year, I was wondering if we were going to see him ramp up his scoring or continue to ramp up his assists (while playing with 55).
This year he is looking to shoot a bit more than LY - but it's nice to know that he can do both.
You can understand why 55 likes to play with him - he's not just a shooter.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
I agree - his passing is exceptional, especially in the ozone and on the PP.
Going into this year, I was wondering if we were going to see him ramp up his scoring or continue to ramp up his assists (while playing with 55).
This year he is looking to shoot a bit more than LY - but it's nice to know that he can do both.
You can understand why 55 likes to play with him - he's not just a shooter.
Exactly! :)

Reactions: LowLefty

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Congratulations I think?

I have always found this to be an odd award for a Neanderthal sport. Is this a compliment or a put down? I mean I always really appreciated Jean Beleveau and like Kyle Connor he was a gentle soul and was a squeaky clean hockey player that wouldn’t hurt a fly. I would take all three of these guys on my team in a heart beat so I guess its a compliment to be able to play well but with zero edge to your game.
Agreed, except to me “zero edge” always sounds so much like “zero compete”.
How about zero road rage or zero “lose it” or zero melt-down or is “zero edge”
really what you would tell him to his face?
Just wondering…

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad