Player Discussion: Kyle Connor : Lady Byng Winner

RinkMom

May 6, 2022
Winnipeg
Just some history.

- It's called the "Lady Byng Memorial Trophy" not to sound feminine , but that's the title of the person that donated it in 1925, Lady Evelyn Byng, wife of Governor General Byng.

The letter she wrote to Frank Calder when she donated it...

“Feeling a great desire to help your effort to ‘clean hockey’ and eliminate the needless rough play that at present is a threat to the game, and also to leave a tangible record of the enjoyment I personally have had from the game during our sojourn in Canada, I am writing to ask if you will let me offer a challenge cup for the man on any team in the league who, while being thoroughly effective, is also a thoroughly clean player.
“I am convinced that the public desires good sport, not the injuring of players, and if by donating this challenge cup I can in any way help towards this end it will give me a great deal of pleasure.
“(Signed) Evelyn Byng of Vimy.”

It looks like Lady Evelyn Byng saw a violence problem in the game and thought by having an award it might change the way the players play the game. Little did she know how it would turn out. So yeah, this award is out of place with what the NHL has tried to sell for the last 90 years, and actually goes out of it's way to promote.
Out of place or not, it's an award every mother promotes as a teaching tool, especially given the reputation of many of the past winners.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Yea I get it and I am a big Connor fan but it’s a pretty violent sport to be identifying most gentlemanly players? They don’t even kick guys out for fist fighting? Like I said I would like any three of these guys on my team and I don’t love stupid penalties but I still think it’s a bizarre award for the hockey brain trust to cone up with.

To be clear I do realize I stand alone with this opinion.
Not quite alone.

The reflected modus operendi of the current NHL's version of hockey accepts, fosters, maintains, encourages, promotes and shall we say, condones casual violence. IMHO the Lady Byng is a remnant from a time requiring a good modicum of blind faith, a fun-to-contemplate and rather old-fashioned snow job, a politically naive moment in its history, a once mighty-but-now-rapidly-melting glacier, an absurdity.

However the key point remains - - it is a legitmate measure of excellence. The current law-makers and gatekeepers of the NHL have determined to leave it in place - - I'm convinced that its a passive nod or admission to the past, despite the dim nature of its relevance to current normalized mode of the sport.

Blind_Faith_%281969%29.jpg

Last edited:

RinkMom

May 6, 2022
Winnipeg
Not quite alone.

The reflected modus operendi of the current NHL's version of hockey accepts, fosters, maintains, encourages, promotes and shall we say, condones casual violence. IMHO the Lady Byng is a remnant from a time requiring a good modicum of blind faith, a fun-to-contemplate and rather old-fashioned snow job, a politically naive moment in its history, a once mighty-but-now-rapidly-melting glacier, an absurdity.

However the key point remains - - it is a legitmate measure of excellence. The current law-makers and gatekeepers of the NHL have determined to leave it in place - - I'm convinced that its a passive nod or admission to the past, despite the dim nature of its relevance to current normalized mode of the sport.

Blind_Faith_%281969%29.jpg
So you're suggesting that we accept the NHL's motives just on blind faith?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
So you're suggesting that we accept the NHL's motives just on blind faith?
Hey, I saw what you did there! Brilliant.

They were an amazing group for the year or two they were together. Caught one of their last concerts down at the Sam Coli and they were mindblowing. Back when getting your mind blown still meant something.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Does Sam Coli have the same symptoms as E Coli ?
Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston, TX. Big slab of concrete hall that held about 10K.

Demolished about 20 years ago. Beatles played there, so did the Doors and Cream and Hendrix about a month before he died. Kennedy gave his last speech there the night before he got shot. No wonder that Blind Faith was doomed to not last.

Reactions: RinkMom

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Kyle Connor wins this award, and deserves too. If you look at former winners, they are mostly high scoring forwards, and not defenseman.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Winnipeg Jets left winger Kyle Connor, Carolina Hurricanes defenceman Jaccob Slavin and Minnesota Wild defenceman Jared Spurgeon were nominated for the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, the NHL announced on Wednesday.

The trophy, given “to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability,” was awarded to Slavin last season.

Connor, coming off the best offensive season of his six-year NHL career, was among the league leaders in shots on goal (4th; 317), goals (T5th; 47), game-winning goals (T6th; 9) and points (13th; 93). Connor, a native of Shelby Township, Mich., established career highs in assists (46), power-play assists (20), power-play points (28) and shorthanded goals/points (3). Notably for the Lady Byng, he had only four penalty minutes in 79 games – the fewest among the league’s top 100 scorers (minimum: 50 games played).

Connor is the first Lady Byng Trophy finalist in Jets/Atlanta Thrashers history and is seeking to become the first Winnipeg player (from the current or original Jets) to capture the award.

Change the title

He’s a winner, not a nominee

Reactions: KingBogo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad