Player Discussion: Kyle Connor : Lady Byng Winner

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Winnipeg Jets left winger Kyle Connor, Carolina Hurricanes defenceman Jaccob Slavin and Minnesota Wild defenceman Jared Spurgeon were nominated for the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, the NHL announced on Wednesday.

The trophy, given “to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability,” was awarded to Slavin last season.

Connor, coming off the best offensive season of his six-year NHL career, was among the league leaders in shots on goal (4th; 317), goals (T5th; 47), game-winning goals (T6th; 9) and points (13th; 93). Connor, a native of Shelby Township, Mich., established career highs in assists (46), power-play assists (20), power-play points (28) and shorthanded goals/points (3). Notably for the Lady Byng, he had only four penalty minutes in 79 games – the fewest among the league’s top 100 scorers (minimum: 50 games played).

Connor is the first Lady Byng Trophy finalist in Jets/Atlanta Thrashers history and is seeking to become the first Winnipeg player (from the current or original Jets) to capture the award.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I really like Conner's chances of nabbing the trophy (pts, ppg, pims). However, I know a lot of the hockey gurus poo-poo the +/- stat in terms of player "assessment" so I'm guessing we're about to find out what the pundits who vote for this trophy think of it (Connor: -3, Slavin: +35, Spurgeon: +32). Good Luck Kyle!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats to KC for the nomination. Can we still use KFC though? :laugh:

I do think it's a bit more impressive for a top pair defender, playing 20+ mins a night having to defend top fwds while taking minimal penalties though.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Congrats Connor! I think he wins it.

Connor has quietly accumulated 176 goals in his first 5 seasons in the league which is good for 6th overall and 3rd among wingers in that time span. IMO, he is a superstar.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Congrats Connor! I think he wins it.

Connor has quietly accumulated 176 goals in his first 5 seasons in the league which is good for 6th overall and 3rd among wingers in that time span. IMO, he is a superstar.
If the next coach implements something resembling a defensive system and don't publicly say that Connor already plays a perfect defensive game, I think he can be. He is an offensive superstar, but his defensive game needs shoring up to at least average (we saw glimpses of his defensive game being better last year with his backchecking and stickwork, but as the season went on it dipped hard again).

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As @nobody imp0rtant would say it just shows he is an opportunistic sniper and that's what happens when you don't play D. I think it's pretty impressive that Slavin and Spurgeon two guys who are considered good defenders are also up for the reward.
And I would fully support Slavin or Spurgeon winning the award for that reason. But happy to see my fan base citing my hot takes, as some would call them. :laugh:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Sometimes there's a fine line between being "soft" and having "sportsmanship"

Cool for him to be a finalist though - crazy that he only had 2 penalties

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Congratulations I think?

I have always found this to be an odd award for a Neanderthal sport. Is this a compliment or a put down? I mean I always really appreciated Jean Beleveau and like Kyle Connor he was a gentle soul and was a squeaky clean hockey player that wouldn’t hurt a fly. I would take all three of these guys on my team in a heart beat so I guess its a compliment to be able to play well but with zero edge to your game.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
All I know is if I was a hockey player I'd take a bunch of penalties deliberately to not be in contention for this award. I don't think this award says anything negative about the player but there are always gonna be some who look at winners of this award with side-eye unless the winner looks like Byfuglien or Shea Weber.

Reactions: Ducky10

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
All I know is if I was a hockey player I'd take a bunch of penalties deliberately to not be in contention for this award. I don't think this award says anything negative about the player but there are always gonna be some who look at winners of this award with side-eye unless the winner looks like Byfuglien or Shea Weber.

Yea I get it and I am a big Connor fan but it’s a pretty violent sport to be identifying most gentlemanly players? They don’t even kick guys out for fist fighting? Like I said I would like any three of these guys on my team and I don’t love stupid penalties but I still think it’s a bizarre award for the hockey brain trust to cone up with.

To be clear I do realize I stand alone with this opinion.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Congratulations I think?

I have always found this to be an odd award for a Neanderthal sport. Is this a compliment or a put down? I mean I always really appreciated Jean Beleveau and like Kyle Connor he was a gentle soul and was a squeaky clean hockey player that wouldn’t hurt a fly. I would take all three of these guys on my team in a heart beat so I guess its a compliment to be able to play well but with zero edge to your game.

Had to look it up, but I am surprised that Beliveau never won the Lady Byng, as he was known as a "gentlemen" player. But I believe this was more to how he was as a person than just on the ice. He had 1031 PIM in 1125 GP.

Connor would be in pretty good company if he did win this award.

Bossy - 3
Datsyuk - 4
Gretzky - 5

If Connor ended up having a career even close to any of these guys, I could handle him winning the Lady Byng every season.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Congratulations I think?

I don't think it originally had anything to do with penalty minutes either. Frank Nighbor had 40 PIM the 2nd year he won the trophy.

It's a weird trophy all around.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The guys that usually win this award, are among the best that play the game -
So regardless of how the award is perceived by some, it's an honorable award to win.
Skill, Sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct are good things - right?

A few of high profile past winners:

Mike Bossy, New York Islanders
Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
Paul Kariya, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
Jari Kurri, Edmonton Oilers
Marcel Dionne, Los Angeles Kings
Brett Hull, St. Louis Blues
Joe Sakic, Colorado Avalanche
Alexander Mogilny, Toronto Maple Leafs
Ron Francis, Carolina Hurricanes
Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay Lightning
Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche
Gilbert Perreault, Buffalo Sabres
Stan Mikita, Chicago Black Hawks
Bobby Hull, Chicago Black Hawks
Dave Keon, Toronto Maple Leafs
Red Kelly, Detroit Red Wings

Pretty impressive

Good luck Connor -

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The guys that usually win this award, are among the best that play the game -
So regardless of how the award is perceived by some, it's an honorable award to win.
Skill, Sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct are good things - right?

A few of high profile past winners:

Mike Bossy, New York Islanders
Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
Paul Kariya, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
Jari Kurri, Edmonton Oilers
Marcel Dionne, Los Angeles Kings
Brett Hull, St. Louis Blues
Joe Sakic, Colorado Avalanche
Alexander Mogilny, Toronto Maple Leafs
Ron Francis, Carolina Hurricanes
Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay Lightning
Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche
Gilbert Perreault, Buffalo Sabres
Stan Mikita, Chicago Black Hawks
Bobby Hull, Chicago Black Hawks
Dave Keon, Toronto Maple Leafs
Red Kelly, Detroit Red Wings

Pretty impressive

Good luck Connor -

I like the guys who have won it. My problem is not with the players that is a great list. I find it hypocritical that a league that endorses fighting and doesn't really crack down on cheap shots and concussions decides to have a lady Byng award. The league doesn't act like sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct are necessary at all. The award feels like the legal department came up with it to cover their ass in case it looks like they could give a shit less about player safety but I digress.

I will bow out and wish KC luck because he belongs on any list with other fine talents. As long as he's happy I'm happy.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Really should be a 2 horse race here given Spurgeon's supplemental discipline in the playoffs for that intent to injury cross check to the back of the Blues players' ankle while he was down on the ice. It would actually be hilarious for Spurgeon to win after just doing that.

Slavin and his 10 pims and 40+ points as a Dman will be tough to beat but I think KFC does it. We're talking 4 pims but also nearly 50 goals (47) and going over a point per game (93 points in 79 games) to go along with it.

Reactions: Mathil8

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yea I get it and I am a big Connor fan but it’s a pretty violent sport to be identifying most gentlemanly players? They don’t even kick guys out for fist fighting? Like I said I would like any three of these guys on my team and I don’t love stupid penalties but I still think it’s a bizarre award for the hockey brain trust to cone up with.

To be clear I do realize I stand alone with this opinion.

You don't stand alone. :laugh:
I have always found this award to be out of place in the NHL. The 3 nominees are highly regarded players so it shows that a player can be effective without being a thug. But 'gentlemanly' play is not something the league normally promotes. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just some history.

- It's called the "Lady Byng Memorial Trophy" not to sound feminine , but that's the title of the person that donated it in 1925, Lady Evelyn Byng, wife of Governor General Byng.

The letter she wrote to Frank Calder when she donated it...

“Feeling a great desire to help your effort to ‘clean hockey’ and eliminate the needless rough play that at present is a threat to the game, and also to leave a tangible record of the enjoyment I personally have had from the game during our sojourn in Canada, I am writing to ask if you will let me offer a challenge cup for the man on any team in the league who, while being thoroughly effective, is also a thoroughly clean player.
“I am convinced that the public desires good sport, not the injuring of players, and if by donating this challenge cup I can in any way help towards this end it will give me a great deal of pleasure.
“(Signed) Evelyn Byng of Vimy.”

It looks like Lady Evelyn Byng saw a violence problem in the game and thought by having an award it might change the way the players play the game. Little did she know how it would turn out. So yeah, this award is out of place with what the NHL has tried to sell for the last 90 years, and actually goes out of it's way to promote.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It's the proverbial, "eggs in his pockets" award.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You don't stand alone. :laugh:
I have always found this award to be out of place in the NHL. The 3 nominees are highly regarded players so it shows that a player can be effective without being a thug. But 'gentlemanly' play is not something the league normally promotes. :laugh:
"Gentlemen" used to kill each other in duels, so maybe not so much of a stretch. :nod:

Reactions: Iwuwd

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3