Player Discussion Klim Kostin

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

GWG tonight. Looks like the guy can skate pretty well.

Shot out of a cannon coming out of the box. Comes as advertised as a powerful skating Russian player. Man I'd be pissed if I was the opposition coach watching 24 lolly gag it coming out of the box. Two minutes left in a one goal game. Kliminator read the play and drove hard to the net while 24 went for a public skate.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Both of those are total trash.
I guess that's depending on what you expect from a 4th line.

Putting up points, no

Taking the own zone starts and not getting sawed off, and getting some cycles in on the offensive zone eating some rest time for the other three lines and an occasional greasy goal, maybe.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I guess that's depending on what you expect from a 4th line.

Putting up points, no

Taking the own zone starts and not getting sawed off, and getting some cycles in on the offensive zone eating some rest time for the other three lines and an occasional greasy goal, maybe.
For me a 4th line should not be an AhL line, as it has become lately. It shoild be a hard forechecking and checking line that may not score a lot, but can defend ok and get a random goal.

1st line - firepower
2nd line - 2way abillity, may have one offensive only winger as a scorer.
3rd line - 2way abillity center, mixed parts of wings.
4th line - forechecking, checking defense

Kane McDavid Yamamoto
Hyman Leon Puljujärvi
Nuge MacLeod Savoie?
Fogele Ryan Holloway

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The earlier they can get him up the better because he can be sent down without waivers for a month since he's already cleared them.

I believe it's 30 days on an NHL roster not 30 days after clearing, so they'll still have wiggle room whenever they do call him up.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
STL fan checking in to see how KK was doing for you guys. sounds like he didn't make the big roster for you either
shame, kid has all the tools to be reallly good. had high hopes for him

Reactions: Aerchon

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
STL fan checking in to see how KK was doing for you guys. sounds like he didn't make the big roster for you either
shame, kid has all the tools to be reallly good. had high hopes for him
With the Oiler's cap issues, he hasn't even gotten a look yet. Don't think he's even had a chance to practice with the big club, went straight to bakersfield.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
well.. that's unfortunate. hopefully he gets a chance with you guys at some point
pros: has all the tools
cons: questionable toolbox
So far he's scored a goal down there and also won a fight. There was talk that he may have Visa issues and that is why he didn't come right up to Edmonton. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
well.. that's unfortunate. hopefully he gets a chance with you guys at some point
pros: has all the tools
cons: questionable toolbox

The Oil had a decent # of guys completing for the last roster spot, so they're going to give the ones that earned a chance with a strong TC a look first. It's the same issue Janmark ran into.

So far though Shore's been decent, Ryan hasn't seen much happen in either zone while he's been on the ice, and Holloway's failed to carry a strong preseason over into the meaningful games. So a bunch of "meh."

Personally I'd expect to see KK up in the near future, same with Janmark. Imo, the bottom six would benefit from more speed and physicality. What I want to see is...

Janmark-McLeod-Pulju
Kostin-Malone-Foegele

A speedy 2-way third line, and a 4th line that can hit and cycle.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Shore?

He might be better than every RW on the roster right now.

Easily an upgrade to the bottom 6 but I’d try him over Yams and Pulju which are a bunch of f***ing nothing so far. They both need wake-up calls.

When does his work visa shit get sorted out??

Knowing this part of the world, they probably seen what country he's from and his file keeps getting put to the bottom of the pile "somehow".

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
The Oil had a decent # of guys completing for the last roster spot, so they're going to give the ones that earned a chance with a strong TC a look first. It's the same issue Janmark ran into.

So far though Shore's been decent, Ryan hasn't seen much happen in either zone while he's been on the ice, and Holloway's failed to carry a strong preseason over into the meaningful games. So a bunch of "meh."

Personally I'd expect to see KK up in the near future, same with Janmark. Imo, the bottom six would benefit from more speed and physicality. What I want to see is...

Janmark-McLeod-Pulju
Kostin-Malone-Foegele

therein lies the rub..KK isn't a 4th line player. if he's not at least middle six, he's not productive at all. he doesn't drive play.. he benefits from someone else doing it

Reactions: Biltmore

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Janmark-McLeod-Pulju
Kostin-Malone-Foegele

Yeah.

Lets take away Yamamoto from top line.

Kane McD Leon
Hyman Nuge Yamamoto
Järnmark MacLeod Puljujärvi
Fogele Ryan Kostin
Malone

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Yeah.

Lets take away Yamamoto from top line.

Kane McD Leon
Hyman Nuge Yamamoto
Järnmark MacLeod Puljujärvi
Fogele Ryan Kostin
Malone

I'll agree with this. I'm really not liking Yams with McDavid or Nuge , as the lack of size really become apparent. Imo if he stays in the top 6, he's best with Drai and one of Hyman or Kane.

Personally I think the best first step for Woody would just be to swap McDavid and Drai (so swap each pair of wingers), and then tinker from there.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Drai-Pulju/Yams
Foegele-McLeod-Pulju/Yams

Though I think they'd be best to go with a hero line of Kane-McDavid-Drai for a few games, and audition all of Pulju, Yams, Foegele, and Holloway next to RNH-Hyamn to see who's the best fit next to them to round out the top 6.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I'll agree with this. I'm really not liking Yams with McDavid or Nuge , as the lack of size really become apparent. Imo if he stays in the top 6, he's best with Drai and one of Hyman or Kane.

Personally I think the best first step for Woody would just be to swap McDavid and Drai (so swap each pair of wingers), and then tinker from there.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Drai-Pulju/Yams
Foegele-McLeod-Pulju/Yams

Though I think they'd be best to go with a hero line of Kane-McDavid-Drai for a few games, and audition all of Pulju, Yams, Foegele, and Holloway next to RNH-Hyamn to see who's the best fit next to them to round out the top 6.
Apperently no one of them. MacLeod has became the 6th best forward on the team, and is needed to take on 3rd line duty, to create depth
If not, there is the depth problem again. But, why not.
Bottom 6:
Yamamoto Ryan Puljujärvi
Malone Nuge/McDavid Fogele

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I like Hamblin's compete and skill, I'm just not sure who I see as our 4C. It could be any of Hamblin, Ryan or McLeod. IMO McLeod is the best player of the bunch but I'm not sure that he'd be happy with that role given the contract hit he took for the team this offseason.

Kane-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Holloway-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Hyman-RNH-Foegele
Benson-McLeod-Kostin

That's how I'd roll the lines out. IMO Hyman and RNH together would be awesome for us to exploit other team's bottom 6's.
No way Yam or pulju fits top6.
Not really Holloway either..

Kane McDavid Hyman
Nuge Leon Holloway
Fogele/Shore MacLeod Puljujärvi
Järnmark Ryan Yamamoto

Reactions: gordonhught

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad