Player Discussion Klim Kostin

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I like Hamblin's compete and skill, I'm just not sure who I see as our 4C. It could be any of Hamblin, Ryan or McLeod. IMO McLeod is the best player of the bunch but I'm not sure that he'd be happy with that role given the contract hit he took for the team this offseason.

Kane-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Holloway-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Hyman-RNH-Foegele
Benson-McLeod-Kostin

That's how I'd roll the lines out. IMO Hyman and RNH together would be awesome for us to exploit other team's bottom 6's.
I like those lines as well, though I'd be quick to insert Ryan alternating Benson and Kostin out.

Also, isn't Kostin a LW? That's how he's listed on Hockey Reference and he shoots left.

So... Benson/Kostin McLeod Ryan.... or

McLeod RNH Hyman (he likes RW apparently)
Benson/Kostin Ryan Foegele

I sorta like the idea of McLeod getting a bit more ice time on the third line and letting him absorb some lessons from RNH. That line would have all kinds of speed and good tenacity on the forecheck.

Dropping Ryan back to 4C is a great place to park a veteran. And Foegele can earn his reps on the top lines on nights when Yama, Pulju or Holloway are struggling.

Lots of versatility in this lineup!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I have an impression that as a talented player he has quite an ego and therefore when coaches don't use him properly (from his point of view) he gets unmotivated. So what happened in the KHL is basically that after quite some struggling Hartley found a role that was fine both for Kostin and coaches - an extremely aggressive hard-hitting middle-six powerforward with a decent amount of offensive responsibilities and Kostin really succeeded there. I guess he wasn't that impressive back with the Blues, but just a simple big body role likely isn't too motivating for him.
I think getting waived and going unclaimed only to be traded right after is humbling enough experience for someone to reset their expectations.

Kostin should be open to any role as long as it's in NHL with Oilers.. Only 'issue' that could change that is if he outperforms guys like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi but is kept on as #12/13 forward.

If we can handle Kassian and Kane... Kostin's ego should not be a problem.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
As I alluded to in the other thread, it makes you wonder how he became such a hyped prospect from the fanbase just a year ago to clearing waivers just a year later.

He'll probably amount to nothing and not to take too much stock into what a fanbase says but when the overwhelming majority calls him their best prospect that recently, it makes you think that there might be something there with Kostin.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have an impression that as a talented player he has quite an ego and therefore when coaches don't use him properly (from his point of view) he gets unmotivated. So what happened in the KHL is basically that after quite some struggling Hartley found a role that was fine both for Kostin and coaches - an extremely aggressive hard-hitting middle-six powerforward with a decent amount of offensive responsibilities and Kostin really succeeded there. I guess he wasn't that impressive back with the Blues, but just a simple big body role likely isn't too motivating for him.
You have more experience with player than I do but as outsiders none of us know the players well enough, or at all to conclude things like "head case". Players get labeled, often enough by media or even the wrong head coach and the label sticks.

Heres some aspects that suggest other than head case;

Kostin is 23 and has already agreed to join the fight game to try to find inroads on getting games and minutes. Generally anybody dropping gloves, its considered going the extra mile. Most players don't. The ones that do are usually the ones that will do anything to be here.

Kostin also uses his large frame to hit people. At age 23 the player has already learned to use any edge and attribute to gain advantage. He also uses his size to push off people and get shots off. I like that.

The player also is a solid skater and from looking at it has decent shot mechanics and is NHL level in this regard. Maybe the player is correct in the feeling that he hasn't been given his due. Seems like the player was bringing it. Very few players, only elites find production at the NHL level in their first half of a season. It takes time.

Lastly a 23yr old first round pick in the best league in the world is probably not a head case. One thing or another may have delayed their progress and often its a case of one team not requiring their specific skillset and simply going in other directions.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I think getting waived and going unclaimed only to be traded right after is humbling enough experience for someone to reset their expectations.

Kostin should be open to any role as long as it's in NHL with Oilers.. Only 'issue' that could change that is if he outperforms guys like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi but is kept on as #12/13 forward.

You might notice that "any role" in the NHL is frequently not exactly enough for a lot of Russians, that's just how it is.

You have more experience with player than I do but as outsiders none of us know the players well enough, or at all to conclude things like "head case". Players get labeled, often enough by media or even the wrong head coach and the label sticks.

Heres some aspects that suggest other than head case;

Kostin is 23 and has already agreed to join the fight game to try to find inroads on getting games and minutes. Generally anybody dropping gloves, its considered going the extra mile. Most players don't. The ones that do are usually the ones that will do anything to be here.

Kostin also uses his large frame to hit people. At age 23 the player has already learned to use any edge and attribute to gain advantage. He also uses his size to push off people and get shots off. I like that.

The player also is a solid skater and from looking at it has decent shot mechanics and is NHL level in this regard. Maybe the player is correct in the feeling that he hasn't been given his due. Seems like the player was bringing it. Very few players, only elites find production at the NHL level in their first half of a season. It takes time.

Lastly a 23yr old first round pick in the best league in the world is probably not a head case. One thing or another may have delayed their progress and often its a case of one team not requiring their specific skillset and simply going in other directions.
I obviously don't have some first hand inside sources, so maybe you're right, just apparently he has that kind of reputation on both sides of the pond. With that being said I've been a big fan of his talent for a long time, so I obviously hope that he will succeed.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You might notice that "any role" in the NHL is frequently not exactly enough for a lot of Russians, that's just how it is.

I obviously don't have some first hand inside sources, so maybe you're right, just apparently he has that kind of reputation on both sides of the pond. With that being said I've been a big fan of his talent for a long time, so I obviously hope that he will succeed.
Thanks for the feedback. I kind of mistook that perhaps you thought he was a headcase first hand but you seem in his corner. Its often coaches or media that establish the rep. Its hard to shake it. Some personalities are just unique, and some passions are. I think for some players its that they kind of overboil. But I tend to like those types. I liked Kassian here too at times. When he was jacked and passionate. There were other years he wasn't bringing it. You seem to have to prod these kinds of players or hope something makes them angry.

We have Kane, Drai, etc and the org is kind of liking personality. There could be a fit here for the player. Woody seems pretty open to players too. Most of the players seem to get more of a chance with him. Its one of the changes he brought here and Holland too. That players get chances. This didn't apply as much to Samu because realistically on our D depth chart he didn't get close to being here and its been several years. I mean he had the one game, and it was bad, as bad as it gets in 4 minutes. But even in camp he got passed by 3 other D that gave a better account of themselves.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I like Hamblin's compete and skill, I'm just not sure who I see as our 4C. It could be any of Hamblin, Ryan or McLeod. IMO McLeod is the best player of the bunch but I'm not sure that he'd be happy with that role given the contract hit he took for the team this offseason.

Kane-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Holloway-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Hyman-RNH-Foegele
Benson-McLeod-Kostin

That's how I'd roll the lines out. IMO Hyman and RNH together would be awesome for us to exploit other team's bottom 6's.

Agree with everything except McLeod shouldn't be used as a 4C

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I am pretty sure this player had a significant amount of hype for awhile. I remember looking to potentially grab this guy in my fantasy pool a couple years ago due to being slated for St Louis top line.

Obviously fallen far since but if he is committed to carving out an nhl career as a bottom 6 option I hope he can excel there for us.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
For once in my life how bout the Oilers absolutely dominate a trade. Former 1st round pick with size, speed, and can fight. Give this Klim a legit chance to work out. Play him in the Top 6 at times even. Win this god damn trade!!! All hands on deck!! Make Klim happen!!

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Ok. Interesting. Thanks for elaborating.

There is definitely an opening here for a big, hard hitting, aggressive power forward in the bottom 6 who can chip in a some offense. They were hoping Virtanen could fill that role, but he certainly didn't rise to the occaision.

In years past, the ego would have me quite nervous, but I think that between Woody and the core of leaders, they can find a role for anyone.

Right now, the only guys that can play tough and aggressive are Kane and Nurse, and they're far too valuable to engage in the other team's agitators and spend time in the box for no reason.
On a team with mcdavid and Draisaitl there’s no room for egos

honestly I think any “Ego” gets Humbled in a hurry when they join a team with mcdavid and Draisaitl on it. Those two demand egos become respect

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
For once in my life how bout the Oilers absolutely dominate a trade. Former 1st round pick with size, speed, and can fight. Give this Klim a legit chance to work out. Play him in the Top 6 at times even. Win this god damn trade!!! All hands on deck!! Make Klim happen!!
You want to win this trade we will need Adam Oates.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
All tools, no toolbox.

Would have preferred we kept Samo and sent Niemelainen to the AHL to work on his puck-moving ability - especially when Murray is made of glass.

We'll see what we can do with Klim but yeah, Blues fans aren't wrong when they say "we aren't really sure what his identity is"

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: