Player Discussion Klim Kostin

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Our 4th line will be trash again this year. Cap is an issue but if it wasn;t I'd take a kid line as the 4th line every day of the week instead of retreads and can nots.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Our 4th line will be trash again this year. Cap is an issue but if it wasn;t I'd take a kid line as the 4th line every day of the week instead of retreads and can nots.
I think a Benson Ryan KK 4th line is money. MONEY!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A kid line would be a cheap 4th line. None of them make a lot

Reactions: Beerfish

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don’t think he starts the year on the big club. He’s a tweener. If he brings an edge he could earn some minutes.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Two pages on this thread on a meaningless player who might play a maximum of 3 games then waived. Whoopy doo!

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Someone mentioning visa issues? Could we have his contract voided? 200IQ?

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe he will be our Marchment
I could see it. He’s 23 if I’m not mistaken, basically the age these bigger players figure it out.

I basically just like him as a bottom 6 guy but you never know, a player like him if he takes a step would suit this team very well on any line.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Russian for a Russian. Not a common transaction in Edmonton

A 6 foot 3, 215 pound hard hitting forward, also a former 1st round pick. Exciting

Normally the Oil are the ones giving up the busting 1st rounder. It's odd to be on the other side.

I'm curious to see how this plays out, but my expectations are low. He's similar to Vitarien (just without the baggage): all the tools, but no tool box.

Personally I think you still keep Malone up, and have the two of them be a pair of physical grinders on the 4th line.

Hyman-McDavid-Pulju
Kane-Drai-Yams
Holloway-RNH-Foegele
Malone-McLeod-Kostin

While I would like an upgrade on the 4th line wings, I can't complain about only spending a touch over 1.5 mil on them. Personally, I'd expect to see Janmark back up for whichever looks worse.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Normally the Oil are the ones giving up the busting 1st rounder. It's odd to be on the other side.

Interestingly the Oilers have been pretty good with their first rounders for the last 10 years or so. The last flop was Yakupov. With Holloway and Broberg on the opening day roster the Oilers are going to have 9 of 11 first round picks over a 10 year span from 2011 to 2020 in the lineup.

The only two who won’t be in the lineup are Klefbom (LTIRetired) and Yakupov.

2011 - RNH, Klefbom
2012 - Yakupov
2013 - Nurse
2014 - Draisaitl
2015 - McDavid
2016 - Puljujarvi
2017 - Yamamoto
2018 - Bouchard
2019 - Broberg
2020 - Holloway

Last couple drafts still too early to tell of course.

It definitely helps there are 8 top 10 picks of course lol. But I wonder if there is any other team in the league with as many home grown 1st rounders on their roster.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Kostin has always been very talented yet a headcase, not a totally hopeless one though. So if the Oilers coaching stuff can get into his head and patiently get the things right there (like Bob Hartley did in the KHL) things can end up as something good, but the issue is that usually in the NHL nobody can wait for like 20 games for Kostin to finally get it right.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Kostin has always been very talented yet a headcase, not a totally hopeless one though. So if the Oilers coaching stuff can get into his head and patiently get the things right there (like Bob Hartley did in the KHL) things can end up as something good, but the issue is that usually in the NHL nobody can wait for like 20 games for Kostin to finally get it right.
Thanks for stopping by.

Can you please elaborate on the "headcase" comment? I'd like to hear more about that. What has he done in the past to be labeled a head case?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Thanks for stopping by.

Can you please elaborate on the "headcase" comment? I'd like to hear more about that. What has he done in the past to be labeled a head case?
I have an impression that as a talented player he has quite an ego and therefore when coaches don't use him properly (from his point of view) he gets unmotivated. So what happened in the KHL is basically that after quite some struggling Hartley found a role that was fine both for Kostin and coaches - an extremely aggressive hard-hitting middle-six powerforward with a decent amount of offensive responsibilities and Kostin really succeeded there. I guess he wasn't that impressive back with the Blues, but just a simple big body role likely isn't too motivating for him.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I liked Perlini but the guy didn't use his size effectively at all. If KK is similar to Perl's but can use his body well and it's willing to fight, he's got a much better chance of sticking on the roster.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I have an impression that as a talented player he has quite an ego and therefore when coaches don't use him properly (from his point of view) he gets unmotivated. So what happened in the KHL is basically that after quite some struggling Hartley found a role that was fine both for Kostin and coaches - an extremely aggressive hard-hitting middle-six powerforward with a decent amount of offensive responsibilities and Kostin really succeeded there. I guess he wasn't that impressive back with the Blues, but just a simple big body role likely isn't too motivating for him.
Ok. Interesting. Thanks for elaborating.

There is definitely an opening here for a big, hard hitting, aggressive power forward in the bottom 6 who can chip in a some offense. They were hoping Virtanen could fill that role, but he certainly didn't rise to the occaision.

In years past, the ego would have me quite nervous, but I think that between Woody and the core of leaders, they can find a role for anyone.

Right now, the only guys that can play tough and aggressive are Kane and Nurse, and they're far too valuable to engage in the other team's agitators and spend time in the box for no reason.

Reactions: Speedo

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes