Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I didn’t watch much of the Russian games,but he has 8 points in 5 games and was one of the top scorers in the tourney despite playing two games less then those scores more.

I can’t comment on watching the play, but his production was excellent.
His play largely matched his production. When he turned it on the other kids were helpless to stop him. Definitely had some consistency issues, but he was far and away Russia’s best player in that tournament.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
His play largely matched his production. When he turned it on the other kids were helpless to stop him. Definitely had some consistency issues, but he was far and away Russia’s best player in that tournament.
Which is why I said the guy has all the tools. I just don't like seeing him standing around so much. It reminds me of Yakupov.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If we're being honest, "not moving his feet" sounds more like Tarasenko than Yakupov.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Watched him play yesterday in San Antonio against the Texas Stars. I came away thinking he actually looked like the best skater on the ice. He can cover a lot of ice faster than most while looking like he isn't putting in a lot of effort. To me it looked like his biggest problem was that while playing on Left Wing at times he wasn't sure where to go on the ice. Watching the entire Rampage team, at times it looked more like the current coaching wasn't using all of their players to fit their skills. You can see that Kostin has the skating, puck handling skills, and he can carry the puck into a zone against multiple defenders. The one thing I noticed is something that I have heard about some of the Blues when they aren't playing their best. He has a tendency to circle back to a play instead of making a hard stop and start to get back into a play. Talked to a longtime Rampage and hockey fan that was excited that the Blues will be taking over the affiliation and bringing in the Blues coaches. His comment was going through the last 11 years with first the Coyotes, then the Avalanche that the hockey systems that the organizations brought in with their coaches were losing systems and he was excited about the Blues sending their coaches into town. From what I saw, it looked like the current Avs system coaches don't really care about developing Kostin or how he is being used.

Reactions: Panic at the Back

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Sanford got a lot more ice time, including a lot of ice time in the 3 v 3 OT. Kostin is a much better skater, has better offense and gets back much quicker on the backcheck than Sanford, but never saw the ice.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
I think what I was trying to say is that Kostin just needs a little coaching on how to play the game at this level. He has all the skills, he just hasn't had the coaching on how to play the more North American style of hockey that we play here. He looks like a young, skilled European player coming here for the first time. Our Canadian juniors, NCAA players, US national developmental players, etc., all have more coaching about how the game is played here and are probably better equipped as 18 year olds to play the NA style.

Reactions: wannabebluesplayer

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
If Kostin is here last year and playing under Berube with the Wolves, I would have bet he either made it to the NHL by the end of the season, or he'd be on the Blues now. He's got all the tools. He needs some proper development coaching to the NA game. I don't think he's been getting that with San Antonio. The coaches there don't have the incentive to do so.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If Kostin is here last year and playing under Berube with the Wolves, I would have bet he either made it to the NHL by the end of the season, or he'd be on the Blues now. He's got all the tools. He needs some proper development coaching to the NA game. I don't think he's been getting that with San Antonio. The coaches there don't have the incentive to do so.

Kostin plays for their team. If they developed him into a near NHL player, it would help them win. It would further ingratiate them to the club taking over their team. It would improve their reputation in the hockey world as player development coaches. That all seems like good incentive to coach Kostin. Colorado does not own the Rampage. There is no guarantee Colorado will be taking the Rampage's coaches with them to their new AHL affiliate. Why wouldn't the new coaches want to do the best job possible with all of their players in an effort to a) win hockey games and b) impress the group that's going to run the team next year? I mean, I guess if the Avs already promised them all jobs with the Eagles and told them not to spend much time on Non-Avs properties, they may ignore Kostin. But that seems silly and counter-productive.

Reactions: Blueston

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Kostin plays for their team. If they developed him into a near NHL player, it would help them win. It would further ingratiate them to the club taking over their team. It would improve their reputation in the hockey world as player development coaches. That all seems like good incentive to coach Kostin. Colorado does not own the Rampage. There is no guarantee Colorado will be taking the Rampage's coaches with them to their new AHL affiliate. Why wouldn't the new coaches want to do the best job possible with all of their players in an effort to a) win hockey games and b) impress the group that's going to run the team next year? I mean, I guess if the Avs already promised them all jobs with the Eagles and told them not to spend much time on Non-Avs properties, they may ignore Kostin. But that seems silly and counter-productive.

I agree with you, it seems that way, but do we know for sure if San Antonio hired their own coaches, or is it like St. Louis was with the Chicago Wolves? Is Colorado in charge of hockey operations there while business falls on the Rampage themselves? We don't know the full story. Has Kostin looked great, at times, yes. Is he ready for NHL duty, probably not. I don't think it's far fetched to think that he is farther down the depth chart because the coaches there have guys who have been playing the NA game for the better part of 18+ years and require less coaching than he does. Therefore, those players may offer a better chance to win. Have you seen vast improvements in his game? I haven't. Not like we saw from some of the Wolves players under Berube.

I don't know the full situation so I'm merely speculating, but I think Kostin would do better and probably receive more developmental coaching if it was more like the Chicago situation was.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I agree with you, it seems that way, but do we know for sure if San Antonio hired their own coaches, or is it like St. Louis was with the Chicago Wolves? Is Colorado in charge of hockey operations there while business falls on the Rampage themselves? We don't know the full story. Has Kostin looked great, at times, yes. Is he ready for NHL duty, probably not. I don't think it's far fetched to think that he is farther down the depth chart because the coaches there have guys who have been playing the NA game for the better part of 18+ years and require less coaching than he does. Therefore, those players may offer a better chance to win. Have you seen vast improvements in his game? I haven't. Not like we saw from some of the Wolves players under Berube.

I don't know the full situation so I'm merely speculating, but I think Kostin would do better and probably receive more developmental coaching if it was more like the Chicago situation was.

The Chicago situation was a tire fire this year, and only really good the one year Berube was down there. Berube is a great coach and knew the Blues job was on the horizon. In San Antonio, Husso is getting more starts than Avs top goalie prospect. Martin is being groomed to be an NHL player for the Avs, yet Husso is getting more starts because he is putting up better numbers. That right there should tell you there is no agenda. Add in that Thompson, Blias and Schmaltz aren't being stifled and are getting ice time when there. It is very likely that Kostin just isn't ready for more responsibility given his age, and how little he has played before this year. Regardless, it is what it is. We will have control next year, and Kostin is still young enough not to be ruined if he didn't get the ideal amount of coaching. I just think the idea is ridiculous that a 1st round draft pick would be completely ignored by coaches in the AHL and we wouldn't hear about it.

Reactions: Blueston

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
The Chicago situation was a tire fire this year, and only really good the one year Berube was down there. Berube is a great coach and knew the Blues job was on the horizon. In San Antonio, Husso is getting more starts than Avs top goalie prospect. Martin is being groomed to be an NHL player for the Avs, yet Husso is getting more starts because he is putting up better numbers. That right there should tell you there is no agenda. Add in that Thompson, Blias and Schmaltz aren't being stifled and are getting ice time when there. It is very likely that Kostin just isn't ready for more responsibility given his age, and how little he has played before this year. Regardless, it is what it is. We will have control next year, and Kostin is still young enough not to be ruined if he didn't get the ideal amount of coaching. I just think the idea is ridiculous that a 1st round draft pick would be completely ignored by coaches in the AHL and we wouldn't hear about it.

I never said he's being completely ignored. I'm arguing that he may need more coaching and attention because of being new the the NA game. Thompson, Blais, Schmaltz, and Husso have all played this style for quite some time. This is brand new to Kostin. He's only used to the Euro style. Chicago is absolutely a tire fire this year, but under Berube, it certainly wasn't, and that's what I'm arguing. I think Berube would have been a better developmental coach for Kostin than possibly what's down there with San Antonio. Look how he coached up Blais, Dunn, and even Paajarvi for his time down there. I don't think San Antonio coaches are necessarily holding him back. I am wondering if he's not responding to their coaching or if they need a different approach with him.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I never said he's being completely ignored. I'm arguing that he may need more coaching and attention because of being new the the NA game. Thompson, Blais, Schmaltz, and Husso have all played this style for quite some time. This is brand new to Kostin. He's only used to the Euro style. Chicago is absolutely a tire fire this year, but under Berube, it certainly wasn't, and that's what I'm arguing. I think Berube would have been a better developmental coach for Kostin than possibly what's down there with San Antonio. Look how he coached up Blais, Dunn, and even Paajarvi for his time down there. I don't think San Antonio coaches are necessarily holding him back. I am wondering if he's not responding to their coaching or if they need a different approach with him.

Husso came over from Europe last year. Learning to play NA game is harder for a goalie than a skater. I wouldn't call that playing for quite some time.

So your argument is that an AHL team does not have an NHL caliber coach like Berube? OK, I can definitely concede that. Most of Veilleux's experience is in Canadian Juniors, which does not have a ton of Russians. Some, but its possible he didn't have many. Ladoceur's experience comes mostly from being an NHL assistant, so he might not have a ton of developmental experience. They are young coaches. I think its far more likely that they aren't the best coaches for Klim, or Klim is just progressing slowly, or the Blues for some reason want him brought along slowly to avoid rushing him.

I don't think its likely that the Rampage coaches can't be bothered to coach him right because he is a Blues prospect, not an Avs one. That's what you said, they had no incentive to give him the proper developmental coaching to the NA game. ("He needs some proper development coaching to the NA game. I don't think he's been getting that with San Antonio. The coaches there don't have the incentive to do so. ") You didn't say they didn't have the tools or abilities, but they didn't have the incentive. Which means they could do so if they wanted but just can't be bothered to do so. That is what I have an issue with, as it is wild speculation with no facts.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Husso came over from Europe last year. Learning to play NA game is harder for a goalie than a skater. I wouldn't call that playing for quite some time.

So your argument is that an AHL team does not have an NHL caliber coach like Berube? OK, I can definitely concede that. Most of Veilleux's experience is in Canadian Juniors, which does not have a ton of Russians. Some, but its possible he didn't have many. Ladoceur's experience comes mostly from being an NHL assistant, so he might not have a ton of developmental experience. They are young coaches. I think its far more likely that they aren't the best coaches for Klim, or Klim is just progressing slowly, or the Blues for some reason want him brought along slowly to avoid rushing him, then that the Rampage coaches can't be bothered to coach him right because he is a Blues prospect, not an Avs one. That's what you said, they had no incentive to give him the proper developmental coaching to the NA game. You didn't say they didn't have the tools or abilities, but they didn't have the incentive. Which means they could do so if they wanted but just can't be bothered to do so. That is what I have an issue with, as it is wild speculation with no facts.

Then I used the wrong words and that's my fault. I looked at it from the perspective that because they may want to keep their jobs after the Blues take over, are they trying to win? Are they simply trying to play the best players while not looking at the development side as much for fear of being replaced or let go? Did the Rampage hire them or the Avs? I tried googling it but maybe I'm not searching right because I can't find article about who actually hired them.

My apologies for the incentive part because you're right, it's not the way I'm actually thinking of it.

Husso doesn't have a lot of time, but a year is still a year of the North American game that Kostin hasn't had.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Then I used the wrong words and that's my fault. I looked at it from the perspective that because they may want to keep their jobs after the Blues take over, are they trying to win? Are they simply trying to play the best players while not looking at the development side as much for fear of being replaced or let go? Did the Rampage hire them or the Avs? I tried googling it but maybe I'm not searching right because I can't find article about who actually hired them.

My apologies for the incentive part because you're right, it's not the way I'm actually thinking of it.

Husso doesn't have a lot of time, but a year is still a year of the North American game that Kostin hasn't had.
Do you remember Husso's first NA year lol because he was tugged around different leagues and had no coaches or even a gym lol

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri

The coaches are Eric Veilleux and Randy Ladouceur both hired by the Avalanche to coach the Rampage, GM Craig Billington who was an assistant GM for Colorado. All Colorado Avs personnel. Just like next year when we start our 5 year affiliation, Blues will control coaching and personnel while the Rampage control hockey operations. So, do Avalanche minor league coaches improve their chances of remaining in the organization by winning AHL games or making the most of developing Avs prospects?? Rampage haven't made the AHL playoffs since Colorado coaches took over.

Last edited:
Reactions: PiggySmalls

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I can’t wait until the SA situation is fully in our control and Chicago can pound sand. With all of our high potential prospects it will be fantastic to see them develop and build a sense of camaraderie while playing together under the same roof.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think what I was trying to say is that Kostin just needs a little coaching on how to play the game at this level. He has all the skills, he just hasn't had the coaching on how to play the more North American style of hockey that we play here. He looks like a young, skilled European player coming here for the first time. Our Canadian juniors, NCAA players, US national developmental players, etc., all have more coaching about how the game is played here and are probably better equipped as 18 year olds to play the NA style.
f*** it, If he can't find his game send him to Beer league. He doesn't deserve icetime at A. Coach who needs coach at Beer league or A. How to play NA. Google it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
I can’t wait until the SA situation is fully in our control and Chicago can pound sand. With all of our high potential prospects it will be fantastic to see them develop and build a sense of camaraderie while playing together under the same roof.
I also can't wait until SA Rampage are coached by Blues and filled with Blues prospects. San Antonio is the closest hockey for me. 210 miles north of me, but I will be making the trip much more frequently next year!! I would love to go see the Blues vs. Dallas in Dallas, but hard to make the 8+ hour drive one way when they are in town with my work schedule.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
f*** it, If he can't find his game send him to Beer league. He doesn't deserve icetime at A. Coach who needs coach at Beer league or A. How to play NA. Google it.

You are missing the main point. In San Antonio, he isn't getting the chances to play that he should because the team is run by Colorado coaches that worry more about their prospects and aren't really concerned with developing players from a western conference rival.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You are missing the main point. In San Antonio, he isn't getting the chances to play that he should because the team is run by Colorado coaches that worry more about their prospects and aren't really concerned with developing players from a western conference rival.
Doesn't seem to have stopped Blais or Sanford or Tage from getting prime ice time. Or does it only apply to players who are not very good yet?

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Doesn't seem to have stopped Blais or Sanford or Tage from getting prime ice time. Or does it only apply to players who are not very good yet?
Blais was a scratch when I went to watch, Sanford got first line minutes, but didn't look like a first line player, even for the Rampage. He is a big, solid player. Uses his reach and size to win battles, but doesn't use his size and physicality. Still weak on his skates and often goes down in board battles. Haven't seen Thompson in San Antonio. Can only comment on what I saw. Kostin can skate and shows a lot of ability, but what I saw was in the third period in a tied game, he didn't even see the ice for most of the period. Then in OT, 3 v 3, Sanford who isn't a really great skater saw multiple shifts. Rampage lost the game with 32 seconds left in OT, because of a 3 on 1 where the forwards couldn't skate well enough to prevent the other team from going the other way. I watched Kostin in the game back check and catch opposing skaters from way behind and strip them of the puck. He was one of the best skaters on the ice the entire game and one of the fastest on the ice, but he never saw a minute on the ice in 3 v 3, or much ice time in the third in a tie game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Blais was a scratch when I went to watch, Sanford got first line minutes, but didn't look like a first line player, even for the Rampage. He is a big, solid player. Uses his reach and size to win battles, but doesn't use his size and physicality. Still weak on his skates and often goes down in board battles. Haven't seen Thompson in San Antonio. Can only comment on what I saw.
Blais is hurt and Tage is in the Lou, so yeah they didn't play. My point isn't that Sanford looks good- he has only played a handful of games this year on top of his strength issues- just that Blues prospects haven't all been relegated to 4th line. Kostin has potential, but until he picks up his play (how does a player with his size and skill only have 46 shots in 51 games?!?!) his spot on 4th line isn't primarily due to coaching bias.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Goes back to my argument that the current coaches that work for the Avalanche haven't really spent a lot of time mentoring or developing Kostin. When you see him against AHL players, he looks like the best skater on the ice. Problem is that he doesn't spend a lot of time on the ice!! He does look lost at times on the ice, this is a coaching problem. No one is teaching him what is expected or where he should be while playing as a left wing. Also, he was playing with a lot of new linemates recently called up from the ECHL, he played with Joly that came up for a week and is already sent back down to the ECHL. Was often open for passes going into the offensive zone, but none of his linemates would pass the puck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad