Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
You are missing the main point. In San Antonio, he isn't getting the chances to play that he should because the team is run by Colorado coaches that worry more about their prospects and aren't really concerned with developing players from a western conference rival.
You guys gave me same excuses so here it goes. I was asking The same why Husso doesn't get icetime while Avs are playing their goaltender prospect Martin over Husso. "Husso Will get his Share If he plays well, Rampage wants to win".

So I guess same goes with Kostin. He doesn't deserve icetime, he need to prove it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Blais was a scratch when I went to watch, Sanford got first line minutes, but didn't look like a first line player, even for the Rampage. He is a big, solid player. Uses his reach and size to win battles, but doesn't use his size and physicality. Still weak on his skates and often goes down in board battles. Haven't seen Thompson in San Antonio. Can only comment on what I saw. Kostin can skate and shows a lot of ability, but what I saw was in the third period in a tied game, he didn't even see the ice for most of the period. Then in OT, 3 v 3, Sanford who isn't a really great skater saw multiple shifts. Rampage lost the game with 32 seconds left in OT, because of a 3 on 1 where the forwards couldn't skate well enough to prevent the other team from going the other way. I watched Kostin in the game back check and catch opposing skaters from way behind and strip them of the puck. He was one of the best skaters on the ice the entire game and one of the fastest on the ice, but he never saw a minute on the ice in 3 v 3, or much ice time in the third in a tie game.

You are arguing against yourself here. If Rampage coaches are giving Sanford, who is a Blues prospect, a lot of ice time, then it is doubtful that the same coaches are denying Kostin ice time solely because he is a Blues prospect. You have zero evidence that Kostin isn't getting proper coaching aside from what you see on the ice. You have some evidence that whatever coaching he is getting isn't working as quickly as you'd like, but that could be as much on him or other factors as the coaches. It could even be the coaches aren't good enough. You cannot say for certain it means that they are not even trying. Your only other evidence of him being ignored by coaches is that he isn't getting ice time, but every other Blues prospect getting ice time proves there is no causality there.

If the Rampage coaches only care about Avalanche prospects, why is Blues non-prospect Butler getting a ton of opportunity over several Avalanche prospects? Butler and Schmaltz (a Blues prospect) have been top pair over Bigras (when he was Avs property), Meloche, Seimens, Graham and Warofsky, who were all Avs properties. Hell, I think Blues-property Butler is the Captain, a position the coaches give out.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kostin is 18. I can't remember who it is, but there's another Euro prospect that was in the AHL recently at 18 and had a similar season and then they broke out the season after.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I have watched several Rampage games and I have concluded that the HC Eric Vielleux is like Hitch on crack when it comes to line combos shuffling. I challenge anyone that watches the next game to try to count how many different line combos are created throughout the game. Like many others here I really hoped Kostin would have a better year. But I’m willing to give him a pass.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He’s 18 playing inNorth America for the first time. The only opportunity he got to play against his peers he dominated. He was far and away his team’s best player and had a much better showing than his draft age peers like Tolvanen, Thomas, Poehling, Yamamoto etc. His point totals aren’t great, but very few 18 year olds(especially Europeans) have a productive season in the AHL. I’m pleased with what I’ve seen. Next year his point totals will increase, he’ll probably earn an injury call up or two, and we’ll start to see what we really have in him.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
How many times have your personally watched him?
I watched (on TV/internet) most of his games at World Jrs (where he was good) but only a couple at SA. where he wasn't. This is also a case where the numbers tell a pretty stark story of his lack of impact.

Now if you want to suggest that he has great skills and that it is not unusual for even talented 18 year olds ot struggle in AHL I don't disagree. But let's not pretend that he has been great or that it is only bc some evil coach is keeping him down that he hasn't starred.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I watched (on TV/internet) most of his games at World Jrs (where he was good) but only a couple at SA. where he wasn't. This is also a case where the numbers tell a pretty stark story of his lack of impact.

Now if you want to suggest that he has great skills and that it is not unusual for even talented 18 year olds ot struggle in AHL I don't disagree. But let's not pretend that he has been great or that it is only bc some evil coach is keeping him down that he hasn't starred.
Who has been saying he's been great this season? I see more people saying the opposite to be true, or throwing out blatantly incorrect statements like he's just not good.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

No one said he's been great, but he's been receiving 4th line minutes. Looking at the numbers Schwartz had a poor rookie season, but not many would agree with that statement.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Remember when Ott received PP time over Schwartz?

Appeal to authority
Yeah, pretty much this.

An 18-year-old is playing his first season of professional hockey in a completely new environment after coming off extensive surgeries, is now playing on the 4th line. He must be bad.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
No one said he's been great, but he's been receiving 4th line minutes. Looking at the numbers Schwartz had a poor rookie season, but not many would agree with that statement.
There's no indication he has been deserving of top line minutes. Not the numbers, not what I saw, not based on what Armstrong said recently, none. He is one of youngest players in a quality league and he has had his troubles. Not surprising. Will he be a star one day soon? Perhaps. I sure hope so. Just having a hard time why some of y'all are so quick to blame coaches for keeping him down when a young player struggles.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
It's not playing time keeping him from producing. He's been all over the lineup, but Veilleux line juggles constantly and his 4th line isn't a true 4th line when it comes to nice time. Kostin plays a lot. There are two underlying issues at play here.

1) as has been stated, this can be a brutal league for teenagers. Especially in our division. The play is heavy and rough and the travel is even worse. I fully expect Klim to have a solid year next year now that he is prepared for what's coming.

2) Veilleux's system is a black hole for offense. Everything they do is predicated on slowing things down and playing dump and chase. He constantly plays people out of position and the power play is a running joke around here. Andrew Agozzino is our leading scorer with 31 points (108th in the league). IOW, I'd look past numbers when evaluating any Rampage player.

The Blues guys get a ton of opportunity. Blais and Thompson were top 6 mainstays. Sanford is on the first line. Musil has only been a healthy scratch one time this season. Butler and Schmaltz have been mentioned and Husso flat out took the job from top Avs goalie prospect Martin.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There's no indication he has been deserving of top line minutes. Not the numbers, not what I saw, not based on what Armstrong said recently, none. He is one of youngest players in a quality league and he has had his troubles. Not surprising. Will he be a star one day soon? Perhaps. I sure hope so. Just having a hard time why some of y'all are so quick to blame coaches for keeping him down when a young player struggles.

I don't agree with blaming coaches either. Kostin is meeting my expectations for the season though.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It's not playing time keeping him from producing. He's been all over the lineup, but Veilleux line juggles constantly and his 4th line isn't a true 4th line when it comes to nice time. Kostin plays a lot. There are two underlying issues at play here.

1) as has been stated, this can be a brutal league for teenagers. Especially in our division. The play is heavy and rough and the travel is even worse. I fully expect Klim to have a solid year next year now that he is prepared for what's coming.

2) Veilleux's system is a black hole for offense. Everything they do is predicated on slowing things down and playing dump and chase. He constantly plays people out of position and the power play is a running joke around here. Andrew Agozzino is our leading scorer with 31 points (108th in the league). IOW, I'd look past numbers when evaluating any Rampage player.

The Blues guys get a ton of opportunity. Blais and Thompson were top 6 mainstays. Sanford is on the first line. Musil has only been a healthy scratch one time this season. Butler and Schmaltz have been mentioned and Husso flat out took the job from top Avs goalie prospect Martin.

Thank you for this update. Its difficult to get a bead on AHL players TOI since nobody keeps track of it, and most people don't watch AHL games consistently.

Based on issue #2, it sounds like our prospects will fit right in when they hit the Blues roster. It sounds like you are describing the Blues. Offensive black hole, check. PP a joke, check. Coach plays players out of position, check. Dump and chase...um, we play dump and change or dump and kind mill about in the neutral zone waiting for someone else to chase. So its close.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I find it entertaining that people on Facebook claim Kostin isn't getting ample ice time because the Aves have an agenda about playing their prospects over the Blues, yet they have no answer as to why other Blues prospects (and non-prospects) get healthy ice time. The logic is impeccable.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Husso is 6-3 and seems to be tall in his butterfly which makes things harder on the shooters. Jake is relatively small in his butterfly on point shots bc of ducking and crouching which opens up the top corners to a greater degree.

This assumes that both goalies are square to the shot and jake often compounds the issue by not being square. Husso seems to play the fundamentals and odds, gets square and stays quiet. Very Finnish in his style.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Husso is 6-3 and seems to be tall in his butterfly which makes things harder on the shooters. Jake is relatively small in his butterfly on point shots bc of ducking and crouching which opens up the top corners to a greater degree.

This assumes that both goalies are square to the shot and jake often compounds the issue by not being square. Husso seems to play the fundamentals and odds, gets square and stays quiet. Very Finnish in his style.
Jake goes down way too quick, something Brodeur corrected last year. It's always bothered me. As your said, it's exacerbated by him ducking too.

I havn't watched the AHL outside of highlights but getting back to a more predicable technical goalie will be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad