Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Kostin will get a call up at some point this season, probably towards the end after we clinch a playoff spot or if another injury bug hits or Thompson hits a rut. That interview to me made it sound like he knows what the score is, and he’s happy to be getting minutes in despite the AHL situation we’ve got going on right now. He’ll be fine, I’m not worried about it at all.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Understood. But would hope that after 40 games he didn't still always seem a second behind everyone else.
He has only played 46 games so far. He's also playing 4th line minutes right now. the 1st year is usually the transition period for players. Look at Barbashev. Went from 28 points in 65 to 37 in 46. Plus power forward like players progress slower than say a play maker or a sniper. He just needs time.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I feel sort of bad for Kostin because he's getting lost in the noise being generated by Kyrou, Thomas, and Thompson. I'm not trying to say that Kostin is superior over those guys at this moment, but I will say that I like Kostin's physical tools much more than any other of the Blues prospects. Kyrou is an elite skater, but Kostin is pretty darn fast once up to speed, and his balance is strong as well. Thompson can generate much more torque on his shot just due to his length, but I think Kostin's release is much better and I think it's still plenty hard. He's very physical and can absolutely deck people when needed... or when not needed too... actually he just do whatever he wants really.

He's definitely rough around the edges (Hah puns!) as his acceleration and agility need work. But when it's all said and done, I like what I see out of Kostin more than Thompson or Kyrou because of how I just love his toolset. That doesn't mean I think less of Thompson or Kyrou, it just speaks to what I see in Kostin.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I feel sort of bad for Kostin because he's getting lost in the noise being generated by Kyrou, Thomas, and Thompson. I'm not trying to say that Kostin is superior over those guys at this moment, but I will say that I like Kostin's physical tools much more than any other of the Blues prospects. Kyrou is an elite skater, but Kostin is pretty darn fast once up to speed, and his balance is strong as well. Thompson can generate much more torque on his shot just due to his length, but I think Kostin's release is much better and I think it's still plenty hard. He's very physical and can absolutely deck people when needed... or when not needed too... actually he just do whatever he wants really.

He's definitely rough around the edges (Hah puns!) as his acceleration and agility need work. But when it's all said and done, I like what I see out of Kostin more than Thompson or Kyrou because of how I just love his toolset. That doesn't mean I think less of Thompson or Kyrou, it just speaks to what I see in Kostin.
He's really young. He isn't getting lost, he's just far off from getting introduced into the lineup.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
He's really young. He isn't getting lost, he's just far off from getting introduced into the lineup.
I didn't mean he's being overwhelmed and in danger of not reaching the NHL.

I meant lost in the sense that he's not being talked about much due to the other prospects' respective seasons. Kostin is doing about as well as I'd expect from an 18-year-old in the AHL. But when compared to what Kyrou is doing, or what Thomas brings, or even to how much Thompson progressed, Kostin isn't making headlines. I don't have a problem with that because I have high hopes for him, but he isn't making as much noise as the others, and to other fans, that isn't a good sign.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Hopefully Klim doesn’t get discourage and head back to Russia. He should feel he has a great chance of making this team in a couple years if he progresses. Patience young grasshopper.

Reactions: 67Blues

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I'm very wary of Kostin. There is a reason he dropped so far. I find him not moving his feet a lot which is a huge problem.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm very wary of Kostin. There is a reason he dropped so far. I find him not moving his feet a lot which is a huge problem.
Wasn't the primary reasons he dropped due to his contract concerns with his previous KHL team+his shoulder injury last season? When I've seen him I haven't seen anything really wrong with his feet.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I have the same issues with Kostin. He stands around far too much when he should be engaging. His balance is also worrisome to me.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am not a big fan. He is #4 on the list of 4 for me. I also don’t think Thompson is that great.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I was a big fan of his coming out of Russia. I still hold out hope, but I have been underwhelmed with his time in SAR. I’m willing to write off this year for him for multiple reason, but it’s a toss-up betweenbhe and Tage at this point for me.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I am a little shocked by the harsh criticism on Kostin. Here are some things to remember. He is playing in a new country, on smaller ice, a NA style and he is an 18 year old playing in a men's league the AHL.

Also he is coming off missing an entire year due to a shoulder injury.

Due to those factors I was prepared to give him a little bit of a break his first year. I have always thought he was going to be a 2-3yr prospect before cracking the NHL. If he is still having issues around this time next year I will start getting concerned.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I am a little shocked by the harsh criticism on Kostin. Here are some things to remember. He is playing in a new country, on smaller ice, a NA style and he is an 18 year old playing in a men's league the AHL.

Due to those factors I was prepared to give him a little bit of a break his first year. I have always thought he was going to be a 2-3yr prospect before cracking the NHL. If he is still having issues around this time next year I will start getting concerned.
It's not just the AHL. It was the WJC as well. He's got some great tools but like I said, he watches the play and doesn't move his feet which is huge at the NHL level. Hell I remember in Squirts they taught you to always keep your feet moving.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Essentially this.

I never really understood when people say they've been underwhelmed by him because I'm not really sure what they were expecting. How many 18 - 19 years olds play in the AHL period? How many play professionally after suffering from extensive surgeries? How many can still release the puck like Tarasenko after suffering from said surgeries? I'm fine with giving criticisms to players because no one's perfect, but the severity against Kostin seems higher than the others.

Honestly, I was in the boat to avoid Kostin when the Blues had a 2nd first rounder. I thought that there wasn't much chance Kostin could develop into a top-6 or top-9 player after all the drama surrounding his draft year and his seemingly lack of intelligence. But he looks much better than I thought he ever could. One, because I was wrong on the intelligence part, but two, his tools look incredible. His overall shot is, I'd argue, the best in the prospect pool. He makes good use on his size and balance by playing tenaciously against the boards and in open ice. His skating isn't his strongest suit, but that's mostly due to his poor acceleration and edgework. Ironically, I've seen posters clamour for Brady Tkachuk, but I don't see anything that Brady does that Kostin can't do. Brady has better edgework and acceleration, but I'd argue Kostin is faster in straight line speed. And between Kostin and Brady's shot, it's Kostin by a country mile.

I guess I just feel some sort of need to defend Kostin against an enemy that might not exist, but I do feel Kostin needs some sort of credit. Could he be engaged more in the play more? Sure, but I'd rather focus on what physical and mental development Kostin has gone through instead of play utilization. I don't think engagement in play is going to be what stops Kostin from being an NHL player as far as I'm concerned.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
It's not just the AHL. It was the WJC as well. He's got some great tools but like I said, he watches the play and doesn't move his feet which is huge at the NHL level. Hell I remember in Squirts they taught you to always keep your feet moving.

I didn’t watch much of the Russian games,but he has 8 points in 5 games and was one of the top scorers in the tourney despite playing two games less then those scores more.

I can’t comment on watching the play, but his production was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad