Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
ISS draft

Scouting Report | Draft Wildcard!! Kostin is one of the top skilled players in this draft class. He possesses a combination of size, skill and skating that not many players have. He is an intimidating presence when he is in full flight flying through the neutral zone. Started off the season with outstanding performance at Ivan Hlinka providing scoring and leadership to team Russia. However, he under went season ending Shoulder surgery in February. Power forward that plays efficient pro style of game with good compete level. Has smarts, skills and power. He can use any of them to impact the game. Distributes pucks to good areas and can make plays under pressure. Makes other players around him better.

This tho, made me smile

Style Comparison
Patrik Berglund

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He is one of my favorite players in the entire draft. Cant believe we got him. I wanted him at 20, then 27.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Holy **** I can't believe we got Kostin too! I'm liking what I'm reading about him. I hope he can make the roster out of training camp. I can't believe a guy that is talented as him fell that far in the draft. Injury + Russian factor I guess?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I'm thrilled with this pick. Definitely high risk/high reward type of guy. Exactly what I wanted. One safe pick with Thomas and one home run swing.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Obviously I'm biased, but I think you got a steal here.

I probably am too because I was a little surprised he was around at #20 let alone #31. I was on the phone with a friend telling the TV, please be Kostin lol..

Quote from Kostin:

“It was very difficult,†he said. “But I worked extremely hard to get back into shape. I’m at 100 percent now and ready to play in the NHL next season.â€

The kid is driven.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Which is interesting, especially with the shared AHL team. Would assume he plays there but he needs his playing time especially after a injury filled season.

Yeah, we added potentially 2 players to our AHL roster tonight :laugh:

Dear Vegas: You can own the Wolves if you wanna, but....... yeah man that's still gonna be our team this year.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Is Vova going to need to convince him to be patient with a shared AHL team? We need to get him over here and make sure he stays

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Some gifs from Kostin's time in the VHL that I made earlier:

And yes, if you see someone calling Kostin a center, please try to stay away from that person, I think it is some kind of a desease out there.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think Kostin easily becomes the Blues #1 prospect. Panger just said he would have been a top 3 pick if not for the shoulder injury.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I love this. I loved Ryan Reaves but we just got a skilled forward prospect.

I am happy. Our organizational depth looks really strong right now, IMO.

For not having any high picks, having Thompson, Sanford, Kyrou, Thomas, Kostin, Musil, Blais up front in the pipeline is great. Combo of size and skill. Especially when we already have Fabbri, Barbashev, Schwartz, Tarasenko. This is nice.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I posted it in the other thread...

I said earlier in the week that I had reservations about Kostin. He has all the tools; size, skating, hands and aggressiveness. The issue that his physical tools, that combination of size and speed, has allowed him to dominate his own age group.

When he moved up to playing against men, he just didn't produce. How much of that is down to injuries and how much of that is not thinking the game fast enough is a question, if it is the latter then switching to smaller ice is going to be problematic. Yes, he was a 17 year old playing against men, but Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Kaprizov, etc, were all capable.

If his struggles this year were injury related, he is undoubtedly a top-10 talent. Size, speed and skill. Not Tarasenko upside, but top line upside.

We'll get a very good look at him in camp.

Is Vova going to need to convince him to be patient with a shared AHL team? We need to get him over here and make sure he stays

It won't be an issue for him if he has to play in the AHL. Our shared system shouldn't be too much of an issue either, we can loan players to other teams. I'm sure we'll get assurances about certain players getting ice time, and if the Wolves can't give us that then we can look elsewhere.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I think Kostin easily becomes the Blues #1 prospect. Panger just said he would have been a top 3 pick if not for the shoulder injury.

I don't think so. I think he arguably has the highest upside of any prospect in our pool. That much is fair. But I'd still have him behind at least Dunn and Walman. There are legitimate concerns about his game. He's high risk/high reward. Certainly glad to have him, but I think we have better prospects.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
So pumped we got Kostin. When I read about him not wanting to play in Kootenay, I was worried. But Vladi's article about him and his family deciding to stay in Russia makes me think that might have been the case for Klim.

Anyone know if his shoulder would be ok for next week at camp?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
So pumped we got Kostin. When I read about him not wanting to play in Kootenay, I was worried. But Vladi's article about him and his family deciding to stay in Russia makes me think that might have been the case for Klim.

Anyone know if his shoulder would be ok for next week at camp?

He says its 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->