Kingston Frontenacs 2022-23 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm not sure at all Pittsburgh Penguins did right decision when they loaned Pieniniemi to Oulun Kärpät.
Kärpät have got rough and rocky start on their 2023-2024 SM liiga season
and current regular season standing Kärpät are bottom 5 team for now.

Pieniniemi has been mainly 7th dman and his icetime has been limited.
So far Pieniniemi is played about 10,23 minutes in 3 games that's not much.

Problem is not that Pieniniemi isn't SM liiga ready the problem
is coach Lauri Marjamäki who isn't junior coach and whose
coaching style fits better to veteran players.

So far Marjamäki has started get alot critic of his coaching methods and game plans.
And if there isn't changes or at least flashes for better it is matter of time
when his coaching job is seriously questioned that's for sure

Kärpät fans are already pissed on Marjamäki and they want him out of organisation.
Kärpät was major disappointment in SM liiga last year so this isn't up only to this season.

• Wow
Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Absolutely they can initiate that however if he’s playing top line minutes, doing really well and so is the team not to mention he’s close to cobourg- why on gods green earth would he want out? Doesn’t make any sense. If Caputi put him on the third line yes obviously he would want out but he’s on the first line and power play. Not a case of Stewart on the 4th line or battaglia 3rd line as a first year player or Poole and Heyes who haven’t gotten better still on 3rd or 4th line.

Side note- 67s traded Jack Beck to the Soo. When healthy beck is obviously one of the top players in the league. Sucks the fronts didn’t trade for him but with the amount of injuries they had last year it’s no surprise they don’t want a guy that’s constantly injured.
Fully agree and if he is playing on a productive 1st line ad getting the minutes then sure.

my point wa that if Kingston was not developing him. Playing him on first line and getting him the coaching development that he needs would deter the trade.

However, if he is not getting the minutes or the development then it is possible. I can't help making the comparison between Gimour and Caputi in player development and coaching. Maybe someone can tell me if that is fair.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I'm not sure at all Pittsburgh Penguins did right decision when they loaned Pieniniemi to Oulun Kärpät.

So far Marjamäki has started get alot critic of his coaching methods and game plans.

Kärpät fans are already pissed on Marjamäki and they want him out of organisation.
Kärpät was major disappointment in SM liiga last year so this isn't up only to this season.
Sending him back leaves a lot of doors open to the Pens. t gives him a chance to develop with the national Junior team. It also allows for him to develop slowly getting use to the bigger players. I don't think you can blame a coach at this stage for limiting the minutes of a rookie that is normal here as well. How many minutes does a rookie D coming into the league get.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa

I’m guessing this is exactly what the Fronts expected, otherwise they wouldn’t have wasted a high euro pick on him. Situation reminds me a bit of Chromiak. Hopefully, he gets sent here by Christmas or sooner.

• Love
Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Fully agree and if he is playing on a productive 1st line ad getting the minutes then sure.

my point wa that if Kingston was not developing him. Playing him on first line and getting him the coaching development that he needs would deter the trade.

However, if he is not getting the minutes or the development then it is possible. I can't help making the comparison between Gimour and Caputi in player development and coaching. Maybe someone can tell me if that is fair.
Simply can’t say he hasn’t been developed lol that logic makes 0 sense. He’s been there half a season and he got way better as the season went on (ohl player of the week final week and 4 goal game) can’t go off of preseason all nhl prospects are trying to not get hurt because obviously they have camps to attend to that are more important than the ohl pre season

Also imo Caputi is a better coach than gilmour. Yes he’s not anywhere near where he should be however I’ve never seen someone coach as bad as gilmour. He should’ve never been given the job but they did obviously because he was a big name for the organization. Great guy just an absolutely horrible coach.

Can’t really judge Caputi off of the first season back from Covid as all the players were all messed up from not getting hockey the year before. (Only league of the 3 in the chl that for whatever reason didn’t play)

They didn’t load up for that season (2021-2022) because they knew it wouldn’t work out with other teams being better like north bay. Also they knew they were getting wisdom back and didn’t want to part with future captain ludwinski and throw the future away. That’s one season.

Last season they were terrible because they traded away anyone worth anything- Wright, arcuri, hache. They were in 4th place before making trades.

This year should really be the one where if the team starts out really shitty he’s fired as there is very high expectations for this group. I believe Caputi is on a very short leash this season and if it ends as a failure I can’t see the fronts bringing him back. Yes he’s not a good coach but if you’re going to fire him you have to get a better one. Can’t go looking for some no name guy thinking that’ll be the spark plug to a team. Has to have experience and if Stan butler wasn’t picked up by Erie I’d say he would be the guy but obviously he’s with Erie now so that’s not possible.

I’m guessing this is exactly what the Fronts expected, otherwise they wouldn’t have wasted a high euro pick on him. Situation reminds me a bit of Chromiak. Hopefully, he gets sent here by Christmas or sooner.
100%. I never thought Chromiak would come but he did I believe midway through and boy did that work out. What a player.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Also- did anyone watch the game? How did Wylie Birkett look? Guys 6’6, 200lbs and has played 25 games with Windsor. Would hope they keep this guy for the 4th line would be good to have a big guy on the team as we don’t really have a tough guy.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Simply can’t say he hasn’t been developed lol that logic makes 0 sense. He’s been there half a season and he got way better as the season went on (ohl player of the week final week and 4 goal game) can’t go off of preseason all nhl prospects are trying to not get hurt because obviously they have camps to attend to that are more important than the ohl pre season

Also imo Caputi is a better coach than gilmour. Yes he’s not anywhere near where he should be however I’ve never seen someone coach as bad as gilmour. He should’ve never been given the job but they did obviously because he was a big name for the organization. Great guy just an absolutely horrible coach.

Can’t really judge Caputi off of the first season back from Covid as all the players were all messed up from not getting hockey the year before. (Only league of the 3 in the chl that for whatever reason didn’t play)

They didn’t load up for that season (2021-2022) because they knew it wouldn’t work out with other teams being better like north bay. Also they knew they were getting wisdom back and didn’t want to part with future captain ludwinski and throw the future away. That’s one season.

Last season they were terrible because they traded away anyone worth anything- Wright, arcuri, hache. They were in 4th place before making trades.

This year should really be the one where if the team starts out really shitty he’s fired as there is very high expectations for this group. I believe Caputi is on a very short leash this season and if it ends as a failure I can’t see the fronts bringing him back. Yes he’s not a good coach but if you’re going to fire him you have to get a better one. Can’t go looking for some no name guy thinking that’ll be the spark plug to a team. Has to have experience and if Stan butler wasn’t picked up by Erie I’d say he would be the guy but obviously he’s with Erie now so that’s not possible.

100%. I never thought Chromiak would come but he did I believe midway through and boy did that work out. What a player.
I am not judgng him by this camp and I am not judging him at all. What I said and you agree with me is that if Caputi can not develop players (ie is not a good coach) and Singer keeps him then it comes down to what the Sabres and to a point the rest of the NHL tems with players in Kingston want.

I think you can colour Pienemmi gone it makes no sense to send him to a euro pro league then bring h im back here. If anything I would suggest that they could depending on what they see move him to the AHL for the remainder of the year. Again a lot of tht depends on how Kingston is doing and what they see, as well as how he is developing.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
gage hayes wouldn’t make a lot of teams. he has 10 goals in 3 years. you don’t just get opportunities, you have to show you can actually do things with them.
Heyes was our best player last night, opportunity onPK and production 1 goal. Battaglia looked good too, held on to the puck and made some nice plays

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I am not judgng him by this camp and I am not judging him at all. What I said and you agree with me is that if Caputi can not develop players (ie is not a good coach) and Singer keeps him then it comes down to what the Sabres and to a point the rest of the NHL tems with players in Kingston want.

I think you can colour Pienemmi gone it makes no sense to send him to a euro pro league then bring h im back here. If anything I would suggest that they could depending on what they see move him to the AHL for the remainder of the year. Again a lot of tht depends on how Kingston is doing and what they see, as well as how he is developing.
LIIGA and the AHL are very similar skill wise. If he’s not good enough for Liiga the it’ll be the same with the ahl.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm not so open or familiar with Oulun Kärpät situation.
But Pieniniemi is not getting much ice time that's what i know.

Tonight's game vs Rauman Lukko Pieniniemi was again 7th dman,
Kärpät lost the game 2-3 and they are 15th spot in SM liiga's regular season standing.

Marjamäki's time is running out that's for sure.
But season is still early so the things can get better with a time
Kärpät is OK as a team but coach and his coaching methods are problem.

Usually Finland doesn't take much OHL players to U20 WJC's
so i can't say much of that would playing in Kingston Frontenacs
helped Pieniniemi's chances to make into team as a OHLer but as a SM liiga player
he'll be into team because over 90% of Finland's U2O WJC team comes from SM liiga.

Of course the decision Pieniniemi's reporting to Frontenacs is up on Pittsburgh Penguins.
But lets see how things will turn on next 4-6 weeks and is there changes on
Kärpät's coaching staff and Pieniniemi's icetime.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I'm not so open or familiar with Oulun Kärpät situation.
But Pieniniemi is not getting much ice time that's what i know.

Tonight's game vs Rauman Lukko Pieniniemi was again 7th dman,
Kärpät lost the game 2-3 and they are 15th spot in SM liiga's regular season standing.

Marjamäki's time is running out that's for sure.
But season is still early so the things can get better with a time
Kärpät is OK as a team but coach and his coaching methods are problem.

Usually Finland doesn't take much OHL players to U20 WJC's
so i can't say much of that would playing in Kingston Frontenacs
helped Pieniniemi's chances to make into team as a OHLer but as a SM liiga player
he'll be into team because over 90% of Finland's U2O WJC team comes from SM liiga.

Of course the decision Pieniniemi's reporting to Frontenacs is up on Pittsburgh Penguins.
But lets see how things will turn on next 4-6 weeks and is there changes on
Kärpät's coaching staff and Pieniniemi's icetime.
Maybe after the world juniors he comes over. That would be awesome.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Fronts win 3-2 against Ottawa today in Cornwall. Was anyone there for the game?

Vaccari saved 30 of 32.

Believe this puts him at a 0.940 sv% through 3 games

Salajko meanwhile has a 0.840 though 3 appearances. That’s something to keep an eye on.

Vaccari to nobody’s surprise has been excellent.

Salajko seemingly isn’t ohl ready in the small sample size that has been shown thus far.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Fronts win 3-2 against Ottawa today in Cornwall. Was anyone there for the game?

Vaccari saved 30 of 32.

Believe this puts him at a 0.940 sv% through 3 games

Salajko meanwhile has a 0.840 through 3 appearances. That’s something to keep an eye on.

Vaccari, to nobody’s surprise, has been excellent.

Salajko seemingly isn’t ohl ready in the small sample size that has been shown thus far.
If as you say Liiga is at par with the AHL, then it is not a surprise that Pienemi is the number 7 D.
Again look at the ice time a rookie gets in the OHL on defence to start a season. Then when they get adjusted they get more. I think he will stay at Liiga until the WJC depending on how he looks at the WJC he may go to the AHL team but I would highly doubt that they would send him to Kingston.

Reminder the jury is still out on Caputi so that has to come to mind. I think that Liiga is going to be his home until that season ends he will join the AHL team,

As to Salajko, it is still too early you can not put a lot of thought into the preseason as we do not know how much of an Erie line p he saw also what the play of the team in front of him like 20 shots in game tells me they were not that into it.

Salajko if all goes well will see teams like Niagara or the bottom of the league teams as well as maybe a middle game on a 3 in 3 weekend. Hopefully, he will work out because really the Fronts put all their eggs in the Vaccari Salajko basket.

Uens Marelli going at it is interesting nyoe know what started it or was it 2 guys that needed to prove their points for the scouts showing a different side to themselves

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
If as you say Liiga is at par with the AHL, then it is not a surprise that Pienemi is the number 7 D.
Again look at the ice time a rookie gets in the OHL on defence to start a season. Then when they get adjusted they get more. I think he will stay at Liiga until the WJC depending on how he looks at the WJC he may go to the AHL team but I would highly doubt that they would send him to Kingston.

Reminder the jury is still out on Caputi so that has to come to mind. I think that Liiga is going to be his home until that season ends he will join the AHL team,

As to Salajko, it is still too early you can not put a lot of thought into the preseason as we do not know how much of an Erie line p he saw also what the play of the team in front of him like 20 shots in game tells me they were not that into it.

Salajko if all goes well will see teams like Niagara or the bottom of the league teams as well as maybe a middle game on a 3 in 3 weekend. Hopefully, he will work out because really the Fronts put all their eggs in the Vaccari Salajko basket.

Uens Marelli going at it is interesting nyoe know what started it or was it 2 guys that needed to prove their points for the scouts showing a different side to themselves
You’re missing my point. Liiga is the same skill level of the ahl meaning if he’s 7th d man in Liiga he will be the 6th or 7th man in the ahl.

That’s obviously not what’s best for his development- barely getting any minutes. and I’m sure Pittsburgh is aware of that. It’s not like the guy was picked 5th overall or something he was a third round pick. Could definitely see him play in kingston as the second option or go back to the finish junior leagues if they allow that.

And to get back to your point about ohl rookie d men. If they’re a first round pick they usually play in the top 2-4 depending on how high they get picked. When they’re a third round pick they usually struggle for ice time. Velliaris I don’t believe is playing for kingston this year for instance.

I don’t think Pittsburgh cares about Caputi if Pieniniemi gets the opportunity to play in the best jr development league in the world for hockey players. They’d be aware it will be a good team and there’s a good gm that oversees things. Not a very good coach but there is probably worse. And if he comes over he will be playing top line minutes likely. Lots of things outweigh Caputi just being the coach.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You’re missing my point. Liiga is the same skill level of the ahl meaning if he’s 7th d man in Liiga he will be the 6th or 7th man in the ahl.

That’s obviously not what’s best for his development- barely getting any minutes. and I’m sure Pittsburgh is aware of that. It’s not like the guy was picked 5th overall or something he was a third round pick. Could definitely see him play in kingston as the second option or go back to the finish junior leagues if they allow that.

And to get back to your point about ohl rookie d men. If they’re a first round pick they usually play in the top 2-4 depending on how high they get picked. When they’re a third round pick they usually struggle for ice time. Velliaris I don’t believe is playing for kingston this year for instance.

I don’t think Pittsburgh cares about Caputi if Pieniniemi gets the opportunity to play in the best jr development league in the world for hockey players. They’d be aware it will be a good team and there’s a good gm that oversees things. Not a very good coach but there is probably worse. And if he comes over he will be playing top line minutes likely. Lots of things outweigh Caputi just being the coach.
I am going to beg to differ with you about Liiga versus OHL. You yourself state that it is like playing in the AHL. In the AHL very few rookies play full minutes starting the season. Just as very few second-round choice D in the OHL start on the top pairings. They are given time to learn about the difference in speed of the game as well as the size of the players. If he is still getting the minutes you are talking about at the WJC break and shines in the WJC then I think the Penguins may think about it. The one thing to remember though is that if they send him to Kingston they could be giving up the right to play in the AHL next year.

AZs to a good team with a good management sorry the jury is still out on that. Springer is still the owner adn Cooper is his cheap GM with a coaching staff that is even more unknown. Again that may change and we may see a Caputi that all of a sudden has an epiphany and Hallelujah learns to coach.

If that is the case, then Kingstn might be an answer or Dumb ass might agree to send him to the OHL if he is traded, ala Wright.

Ther are a lot of maybe if and the bottom line is who knows right now he is playing in Liiga and getting ready for the WJC.

I think tht instead of hoping that he comes the team and fans should be looking at what you have and what can be done with what you have. You guys went through this same crap last year wondering about Wright and what will happen when he comes back. Do you really want to do it again?

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
I am going to beg to differ with you about Liiga versus OHL. You yourself state that it is like playing in the AHL. In the AHL very few rookies play full minutes starting the season. Just as very few second-round choice D in the OHL start on the top pairings. They are given time to learn about the difference in speed of the game as well as the size of the players. If he is still getting the minutes you are talking about at the WJC break and shines in the WJC then I think the Penguins may think about it. The one thing to remember though is that if they send him to Kingston they could be giving up the right to play in the AHL next year.

AZs to a good team with a good management sorry the jury is still out on that. Springer is still the owner adn Cooper is his cheap GM with a coaching staff that is even more unknown. Again that may change and we may see a Caputi that all of a sudden has an epiphany and Hallelujah learns to coach.

If that is the case, then Kingstn might be an answer or Dumb ass might agree to send him to the OHL if he is traded, ala Wright.

Ther are a lot of maybe if and the bottom line is who knows right now he is playing in Liiga and getting ready for the WJC.

I think tht instead of hoping that he comes the team and fans should be looking at what you have and what can be done with what you have. You guys went through this same crap last year wondering about Wright and what will happen when he comes back. Do you really want to do it again?
Wrong. European players can play in the American League at 19 whether they played in North America or not.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

I think it’s evident that if he doesn’t end up as an ahler by the end of the year he likely will be the following season. That’s fine. Kingston didn’t draft him for the following season they drafted him for this season.

Springer is cheap yes but he did want to host the mem cup so he’s cheap until it involves making a lot of money in the long run and if he has a really good team this year that ends up going all the way to the ohl finals he’s going to have sold out crowds finally and build a stronger fan base leading to him generating more money over time for instance nobody wants to see a team in last place every year you always hear it around here that’s the reason why people don’t go is because they always are towards the bottom of the league and nobody wants to see a team lose.

Cooper is a smart gm if you think otherwise that’s fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if they went for it in 2021-2022 for instance and lost and sent away all assets they’d stink even now. Hamilton and north bay loading up that year not to mention the west was stacked. If they went for it that year it would be extremely stupid. They’d still end up facing north bay second round and they’d still end up losing in the second round to them.

Last year he traded away guys like wright, arcuri and hache as it was obvious kingston wasn’t going to be a contender losing guys like Edmonds Chromiak frasca and meralainen to name a few.

They’ve drafted pretty well obviously missed the Covid season which I think really hurt the team especially wright. There’s a bunch of what ifs surrounding that season but that’s hockey and that’s in the past.

Trading wright last year for meidema McCarthy and some picks was a great idea. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like McCarthy will be coming here but you never know it’s still a possibility. Meidema will be in the league in 2 years anyways and if all goes to shit they can trade him away and who else and do a quick retool always.

Bottom line he’s a great gm. I used to hate when they’d go all in and then lose in round 1 or 2 or 3 and then suck which I believe gilmour and keily were all about. This guy copper sees things several years down the line and that’s import.

Look at London and why they’ve been so successful minus luring players away from other teams. They build up from the draft usually and if they don’t have the right team they do a quick retool and before you know it they’re back in the hunt again.

If pienemi comes GREAT. If not that’s perfectly fine too. But I wouldn’t compare him to Shane wright lol.

Wrong. European players can play in the American League at 19 whether they played in North America or not.
100%. Chromiak was a 19 year old last year and was eligible for the ahl. The same would happen for Pieniniemi.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Import players are allowed to play in the AHL at 18 or 19 if they were drafted by an NHL team before they played in the CHL. If they played in the CHL before they were drafted into the NHL they can only play in the NHL or CHL. I think there is a loophole if they are only loaned to a CHL team by their previous team they are allowed to play in the AHL.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You were close but it depends on what league the player is playing for when drafted.
So according to the rules yes he could be sent here and keep his AHL allowance because he wasn ot a front when drafted.

These rules are set by an agreement made between the NHL and the league in which they were drafted from so that the best players cannot be taken from their team before a certain age; leaving their league with a watered down product that makes it therefore harder to market to fans. To further complicate things – the buck stops with whichever team owns the rights to that player – so for example if the player drafted was playing in one of the CHL leagues at the time but was actually loaned to the team in that league by his club in Europe – then the CHL rules/agreement do not apply. Confused? That’s ok – lets break it down league by league.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think it’s evident that if he doesn’t end up as an ahler by the end of the year he likely will be the following season. That’s fine. Kingston didn’t draft him for the following season they drafted him for this season.

Springer is cheap yes but he did want to host the mem cup so he’s cheap until it involves making a lot of money in the long run and if he has a really good team this year that ends up going all the way to the ohl finals he’s going to have sold out crowds finally and build a stronger fan base leading to him generating more money over time for instance nobody wants to see a team in last place every year you always hear it around here that’s the reason why people don’t go is because they always are towards the bottom of the league and nobody wants to see a team lose.

If pienemi comes GREAT. If not that’s perfectly fine too. But I wouldn’t compare him to Shane wright lol.

100%. Chromiak was a 19 year old last year and was eligible for the ahl. The same would happen for Pieniniemi.
Cooper may be the breathe of fresh air needed but I still worry about the owner. LOL Filling the seats this year is great as long as they are going to be competitive the year after. As a Fronts fan it was the thing that turned me off the team. It was not the out in first round it was the fact that they either traded their first-round pick or they traded away enough of the future that they were in a 3 year cycle.

Trade picks and players to make the playoffs
go complete rebuild with crappy on-ice talent due to inexperience
Get a team that is experienced and then trade the future to get 2 playoff dates.
That was the Springer Mav/Gilmour plan I also think it might have been Cooper's plan led by the owner but yes things hve settled down.

My comparison of Wright and Pennemi I think stands and it has nothing to do with the players.

It is the well we will be better when X player comes because we know they will get more ice time mor recognition etc.

Ottawa fans did it with Moldenhauer even after he was traded.

My belief is you have the players you have to play and cheer the players you have and basically stay with that. the what ifs in this league are huge and many.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think they’ve learned from that (springer)- trading away first round picks every year doesn’t end well.

He hasn’t done that in a long time so hopefully it stays that way cause Hopkins is going to be a stud. Has all the tools for that to happen just needs to put some weight on and gain confidence but that’ll come.

I understand where you’re coming from with the players you have however there’s always room to improve lol and if they have the rights of players and there’s word that gets out that the player may come to kingston that brings excitement to the fans so yes the fans talk about that stuff and it happens everywhere not just here.. there will always be speculation- the what ifs and what not lol. The reality is there is a chance peininiemi comes here and if he does that’s great news for kingston who is notorious for being mediocre.

For instance if they added McCarthy and peininiemi that pushes guys like budnick down to the 5/6 d man and that would be by far the best defence corp that us fronts fans have seen ever. In reality both players might not end up playing here but that’s the fun thing about hockey. You never know what will happen.

This city needs a championship. That would work wonders for the city and organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad