Kingston Frontenacs 2022-23 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think they’ve learned from that (springer)- trading away first round picks every year doesn’t end well.

He hasn’t done that in a long time so hopefully it stays that way cause Hopkins is going to be a stud. Has all the tools for that to happen just needs to put some weight on and gain confidence but that’ll come.

I understand where you’re coming from with the players you have however there’s always room to improve lol and if they have the rights of players and there’s word that gets out that the player may come to kingston that brings excitement to the fans so yes the fans talk about that stuff and it happens everywhere not just here.. there will always be speculation- the what ifs and what not lol. The reality is there is a chance peininiemi comes here and if he does that’s great news for kingston who is notorious for being mediocre.

For instance if they added McCarthy and peininiemi that pushes guys like budnick down to the 5/6 d man and that would be by far the best defence corp that us fronts fans have seen ever. In reality both players might not end up playing here but that’s the fun thing about hockey. You never know what will happen.

This city needs a championship. That would work wonders for the city and organizati
I am preaching this on the Ottawa site so it is not a fronts thing.. We should let the players that they have played for at least the month of October. Let's see what we really have on the ice and what can be projected for later. There is always that player who played OK last year that finds the new gear. In Ottawa it was Pinelli and Gardner.

Defence is not just a back 2 players it has to be a team ethic.
Also I still hve lingering doubts about Cputi and have a feeling that it may also be a hindrance for OA players reporting.

As to a Championship, I agree but again that was a Springer Mav problem. Now it is a Springer problem as I think he needs to pay his coaches better so that they do not jump at the first call to be an assistant in another city.

You get a championship by

hiring a good scouting team
hiring and paying a coach who is going to be there for a few seasons and can develop players.
establishing a long-term goal that says that the team will be competitive every year. That you will strive to have a team that replenishes itself with solid players every year.

You do not say okay this is our year and trade the world or settle for a team that is going to suck for a couple of years.

They have gotten rid of the star GMs Cooper seems to have the right idea, Sprnger now needs to listen to Kory and talk and look at the other Owners to see what they are doing.
Springer reminds me a bit of the old owners of Ottawa. Money was tight. The big difference was though that they found coaches that could coach and left him alone.

Remember Sprnger's promise to the city. Give me a new arena and i will fill it. Seems to me to a certain point the city would have been better off renovating the M Center and or building a new arena at the race track portion

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Anyone at the game? Just saw the box score and Schneider got a match for roughing? Howd that happen?
It must have been a typo. He served his 2 played the rest of the game - even got another penalty. He also played In Cornwall

Fronts win 3-2 against Ottawa today in Cornwall. Was anyone there for the game?

Vaccari saved 30 of 32.

Believe this puts him at a 0.940 sv% through 3 games

Salajko meanwhile has a 0.840 though 3 appearances. That’s something to keep an eye on.

Vaccari to nobody’s surprise has been excellent.

Salajko seemingly isn’t ohl ready in the small sample size that has been shown thus far.
I went to the game. It was a pretty slow/sloppy one - but they did have a game the night before so it was a quick turnaround and early game the next day. I wouldn't put much stock in the ave % for Salajko at this time. The 4 goals in Norwood really only had one stinker and he made some pretty great saves in the game. I think he's adjusting. Honestly 2 goals were pretty much Vellaris coughups in the middle of the ice that caught JJ without much chance. Vaccari played well in Cornwall when he needed to - he wasn't all that busy.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Also- did anyone watch the game? How did Wylie Birkett look? Guys 6’6, 200lbs and has played 25 games with Windsor. Would hope they keep this guy for the 4th line would be good to have a big guy on the team as we don’t really have a tough guy.
Birkett was only there as a fill in due to illness of some forwards and with Ludwinski, Miedema and Soto at NHL camps they needed a body and he was close by in Trenton - he wasn't on the bench on Sunday and isn't in Kingston.

Heyes was our best player last night, opportunity onPK and production 1 goal. Battaglia looked good too, held on to the puck and made some nice plays
Heyes played his role well - which is forecheck and pk. I wouldn't say he was the best player on the ice for the fronts - he had some good impactful shifts. I actually thought Hopkins was probably our best player Friday night. He was sound in the dzone, created some good chances in and around the net - even got his first ohl goal.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
You were close but it depends on what league the player is playing for when drafted.
So according to the rules yes he could be sent here and keep his AHL allowance because he wasn ot a front when drafted.

These rules are set by an agreement made between the NHL and the league in which they were drafted from so that the best players cannot be taken from their team before a certain age; leaving their league with a watered down product that makes it therefore harder to market to fans. To further complicate things – the buck stops with whichever team owns the rights to that player – so for example if the player drafted was playing in one of the CHL leagues at the time but was actually loaned to the team in that league by his club in Europe – then the CHL rules/agreement do not apply. Confused? That’s ok – let’s break it down league by league.
He is eligible for the ahl, I was never confused.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
He is eligible for the ahl, I was never confused.
you said this
Wrong. European players can play in the American League at 19 whether they played in North America or not.

which is not true, if a 17 year old is drafted out of the ohl and european, he falls under the chl agreement and is not eligible until 20 years of age or 4 years of chl service. if they are drafted to the nhl and then drafted into the chl, then yes, at 19 they can play in the ahl.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I think it’s evident that if he doesn’t end up as an ahler by the end of the year he likely will be the following season. That’s fine. Kingston didn’t draft him for the following season they drafted him for this season.

Springer is cheap yes but he did want to host the mem cup so he’s cheap until it involves making a lot of money in the long run and if he has a really good team this year that ends up going all the way to the ohl finals he’s going to have sold out crowds finally and build a stronger fan base leading to him generating more money over time for instance nobody wants to see a team in last place every year you always hear it around here that’s the reason why people don’t go is because they always are towards the bottom of the league and nobody wants to see a team lose.

Cooper is a smart gm if you think otherwise that’s fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if they went for it in 2021-2022 for instance and lost and sent away all assets they’d stink even now. Hamilton and north bay loading up that year not to mention the west was stacked. If they went for it that year it would be extremely stupid. They’d still end up facing north bay second round and they’d still end up losing in the second round to them.

Last year he traded away guys like wright, arcuri and hache as it was obvious kingston wasn’t going to be a contender losing guys like Edmonds Chromiak frasca and meralainen to name a few.

They’ve drafted pretty well obviously missed the Covid season which I think really hurt the team especially wright. There’s a bunch of what ifs surrounding that season but that’s hockey and that’s in the past.

Trading wright last year for meidema McCarthy and some picks was a great idea. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like McCarthy will be coming here but you never know it’s still a possibility. Meidema will be in the league in 2 years anyways and if all goes to shit they can trade him away and who else and do a quick retool always.

Bottom line he’s a great gm. I used to hate when they’d go all in and then lose in round 1 or 2 or 3 and then suck which I believe gilmour and keily were all about. This guy copper sees things several years down the line and that’s import.

Look at London and why they’ve been so successful minus luring players away from other teams. They build up from the draft usually and if they don’t have the right team they do a quick retool and before you know it they’re back in the hunt again.

If pienemi comes GREAT. If not that’s perfectly fine too. But I wouldn’t compare him to Shane wright lol.

100%. Chromiak was a 19 year old last year and was eligible for the ahl. The same would happen for Pieniniemi.
Several years down the line might be a stretch 98% of OHL players have at max, 4 years. So that would be a max cycle

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Several years down the line might be a stretch 98% of OHL players have at max, 4 years. So that would be a max cycle
In order to get to host the Mem Cup or to be able to be a contender in the OHL you need consistency. You need to build a team that replaces the players you lose and still is competitive.

That is what good coaches and GMs do it is not built for just this year and trades a whole lot for a group of players.

If Springer and Cooper were serious about the bid last year they would have been building 5 years ago to have a team that is near the top of the game yer in and year out.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
you said this

which is not true, if a 17 year old is drafted out of the ohl and european, he falls under the chl agreement and is not eligible until 20 years of age or 4 years of chl service. if they are drafted to the nhl and then drafted into the chl, then yes, at 19 they can play in the ahl.
there is a second way that an import can be loaned to the ahl at 19 if he was drafted out of the chl, but that is if he was loaned, not signed by the chl team. if a player isnt going to play much in europe and hes 17, he can be loaned out to his chl team, but his rights remain with the european team and in theory, is a non chl player for the nhl/chl draft agreement.

im sure there are others, but rasmus sandin is one, he was a chl player when drafted and playing, but contractually and as far as the chl agreement was concerned, he was under loan. no signed by the soo and therefore eligible for the ahl. its rare but it happens. pavel zacha for example when drafted by sarnia, was not on loan, therefore a chl player and not ahl eligible.

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
In order to get to host the Mem Cup or to be able to be a contender in the OHL you need consistency. You need to build a team that replaces the players you lose and still is competitive.

That is what good coaches and GMs do it is not built for just this year and trades a whole lot for a group of players.

If Springer and Cooper were serious about the bid last year they would have been building 5 years ago to have a team that is near the top of the game yer in and year out.
Saginaw finished out of the playoffs, one point ahead of Niagara with 49. Windsor was not good for a long stretch prior to be awarded the memorial cup.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Saginaw finished out of the playoffs, one point ahead of Niagara with 49. Windsor was not good for a long stretch prior to be awarded the memorial cup.
but Saginaw had the players coming back as well as the American location. Look at where Saginaw is rated compared to Kingston

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

I 100% agree with this. It seemed like they just wanted a quick retool from 1 season that was a failure to the next hoping for the memorial cup. I still say it’s the better location by far but the team is probably not as good. If they sold off wright and certain players in the Covid season they’d be better off for the bid but they were waiting around to see how things were. Like I’ve said many times the Covid season screwed everything up.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
but Saginaw had the players coming back as well as the American location. Look at where Saginaw is rated compared to Kingston
Where Saginaw is rated now, like Sudbury is a projection of where the team can be after using up a lot of assets.
The cup committee probably thought Saginaw would be the best of all non-playoff team bids?
None of those teams started building 5 years prior to the bid, or were at the top year in, year out as you suggested is necessary.
The only team that would qualify is London.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I 100% agree with this. It seemed like they just wanted a quick retool from 1 season that was a failure to the next hoping for the memorial cup. I still say it’s the better location by far but the team is probably not as good. If they sold off wright and certain players in the Covid season they’d be better off for the bid but they were waiting around to see how things were. Like I’ve said many times the Covid season screwed everything up.
if you put saginaws, owen sonud and maybe guelphs roster in kingston, its a no brainer regardless if the league likes the owener or not. the fronts roster is not nearly good enough

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
you said this

There is more to it as other people have said. Which also plays into who gets the development fee from the nhl team. If the euro club retains the players rights, then they would be able to receive the development fee even if the kid was drafted out of the chl.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
There is more to it as other people have said. Which also plays into who gets the development fee from the nhl team. If the euro club retains the players rights, then they would be able to receive the development fee even if the kid was drafted out of the chl.
right, thats the loan. if a player is under contract to the euro team but loaned out to the chl team, the euro team gets the nhl money. its pretty straight forward contractually, but sometimes hard to understand if there is no communication on who is loaned and who is signed.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Owen Beck for Tyler Hopkins+?? This feels like a good year for Kingstons to make some moves
I think Hopkins is definitely the safest guy here on the team to stay they’d rather trade a guy like battaglia, brooks and lots of picks. Can’t see them trading the 4th overall guy.

When they’ve traded players before it was because they weren’t living up to their potential and they were a late first round pick like Robbie burt for instance.

If they did end up trading for a guy like beck I think they’d wait until around world juniors so the first 10 days of January.

if you put saginaws, owen sonud and maybe guelphs roster in kingston, its a no brainer regardless if the league likes the owener or not. the fronts roster is not nearly good enough
Like I said it was the team. Not the location. Saginaw finished 4th in the west the other 3 teams finished out of the playoffs it was a no brainer not to mention the emergence of Misa and parekh

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think Hopkins is definitely the safest guy here on the team to stay they’d rather trade a guy like battaglia, brooks and lots of picks. Can’t see them trading the 4th overall guy.

When they’ve traded players before it was because they weren’t living up to their potential and they were a late first round pick like Robbie burt for instance.

If they did end up trading for a guy like beck I think they’d wait until around world juniors so the first 10 days of January.

Like I said it was the team. Not the location. Saginaw finished 4th in the west the other 3 teams finished out of the playoffs it was a no brainer not to mention the emergence of Misa and parekh
the owner is not well liked in ohl circles as well, that didnt help

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Here we friggin go again. Kingston goes t the trouble to scout a great first-round draft choice and tehn fns and probably Springer decide that he would be a great deal for a rental.

This has been the problem with the team since Mav was around. You trade a 4-year player that is highly rated for an OA that might help this team this year but leave it screwed for the rest of the next 3 years.

If you want a championship team, then say that you want a championship team look at how other organizations built their teams to be at the top year in and year out.

There is no one-year wonder fix. That is one of the reasons that I also enjoy the 67's, London and Hamilton.

The management and fans, while looking to be the best are not afraid to build the team on a regular basis and develop their own talent so that they are playoff contenders or top of the Conf every year.

There are a lot of good teams in the East and it is comparable, but that does not mean you are going to develop a championship team by trading your first-round draft choice this year.

How many years did Mav and Gilmour do that and how did it work out?

A GREAT ORGANIZATION does not look at this year it looks down the road 4 5 years as well as this year.

Wright should not have played in Kingston. He should have been drafted by a team that was worse than them but because the owner and staff traded away the future for a pie in the sky they were so pathetic they finished last.
@sector5petes understand this and that is why he thinks it would be a great trade for them. They are rebuilding fro a league championship

If you want to know how to build a playoff team look at the Petes. Remember it was them that knocked of the Kingston Super teams It was them that knocked off Ottawa and some good team last year.
Why because they have a system both on and off the ice that works in the playoffs.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Here we friggin go again. Kingston goes t the trouble to scout a great first-round draft choice and tehn fns and probably Springer decide that he would be a great deal for a rental.
This has been the problem with the team since Mav was around. You trade a 4-year player that is highly rated for an OA that might help this team this year but leave it screwed for the rest of the next 3 years.
Burt in a trade for Da Coille, Morgan for Villardi & Day, 17 yr old Dunkley for Pu are trades that teams make every year. None of those lead Kingston to a title if kept imo.
The Fronts did make seller’s trades to replace 1st picks and future picks.
If you want a championship team, then say that you want a championship team look at how other organizations built their teams to be at the top year in and year out.

There is no one-year wonder fix. That is one of the reasons that I also enjoy the 67's, London and Hamilton.
curious how Ottawa and Hamilton are appreciated the same as London when talking about being at the top year in and year out. Was Hamilton not 14th last season and Ottawa 14th the year before? Ottawa was mediocre 2005-18.
The management and fans, while looking to be the best are not afraid to build the team on a regular basis and develop their own talent so that they are playoff contenders or top of the Conf every year.

There are a lot of good teams in the East and it is comparable, but that does not mean you are going to develop a championship team by trading your first-round draft choice this year.

How many years did Mav and Gilmour do that and how did it work out?

A GREAT ORGANIZATION does not look at this year it looks down the road 4 5 years as well as this year.

Wright should not have played in Kingston. He should have been drafted by a team that was worse than them but because the owner and staff traded away the future for a pie in the sky they were so pathetic they finished last.
@sector5petes understand this and that is why he thinks it would be a great trade for them. They are rebuilding fro a league championship

If you want to know how to build a playoff team look at the Petes. Remember it was them that knocked of the Kingston Super teams It was them that knocked off Ottawa and some good team last year.
Why because they have a system both on and off the ice that works in the playoffs.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Burt in a trade for Da Coille, Morgan for Villardi & Day, 17 yr old Dunkley for Pu are trades that teams make every year. None of those lead Kingston to a title if kept imo.
The Fronts did make seller’s trades to replace 1st picks and future picks.

curious how Ottawa and Hamilton are appreciated the same as London when talking about being at the top year in and year out. Was Hamilton not 14th last season and Ottawa 14th the year before? Ottawa was mediocre 2005-18.
Well saying a team was 14th sounds bad but when you look at the fact that they both made the playoffs without a struggle in their conference. Take a look at these teams and you notice that since Byrne was let go and while Killer ran the team there are only 5 seasons that the 67's did not make the p[layoffs,
Hamilton since they bought the team missed the first year and has won 2 championships.

They make trades but they also make sure that they have the team to make the playoffs.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
I guess I just don't see that Kingston is an OA Centre and Mccoy away from being a serious contender for the ohl finals -- unless you get there, then trading hopkins away is a waste and as the team is currently constructed I feel they don't have the horses with adding Beck or whomever and another Dman....

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well saying a team was 14th sounds bad but when you look at the fact that they both made the playoffs without a struggle in their conference. Take a look at these teams and you notice that since Byrne was let go and while Killer ran the team there are only 5 seasons that the 67's did not make the p[layoffs,
Hamilton since they bought the team missed the first year and has won 2 championships.

They make trades but they also make sure that they have the team to make the playoffs.
In no way is 14th near the top.
I don’t consider anything less than 10-11 competitive.
To each their own, I’d rather 1-2 yrs in contention then 1-2 years re-tooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad