Confirmed with Link: Kings have traded Jonathan Quick to #CBJ as part of a deal that will send back Joonas Korpisalo.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Gavri is who we need signed. Even Doughty is pulling for that to happen from what he said in his exit interview. If not we are back to square one with big holes on LD. I also think Blake still has hope that Cal can play in the NHL next year. Which would be another blunder.
Yes, the Kings need Gavrikov. Problem is, Gavrikov doesn't need the Kings, at all.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
A problem child sent away. Maybe could have gotten more for him, but the point was he was gone.
The only reason you're defending it is because it was a move made by Dean Lombardi.

Lombardi completely squandered Cammalleri.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
There was an issue with Cammalleri?

Woah I had no idea he was the Co-CEO of Biosteel. Wow.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
There was an issue with Cammalleri?

Woah I had no idea he was the Co-CEO of Biosteel. Wow.

Some GM's just don't like certain players.

Dean had no desire at all to sign Cammalleri and absolutely should have traded him after the 06-07 season when Cammalleri was coming off a 35G, point-per-game season at age 24.

Even with that, the pick they got put the Kings in a position to draft the best defenseman of his era, and they chose ... Colten Teubert!

And yeah, Cammalleri had a nice payday on Bio-Steel. I heard eight figures. But he was criticized for reading the WSJ on the Kings instead of the comics section, like the GM wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnjm22

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Dean basically traded Cammalleri for a 1st.

Used that 1st, plus another 1st to draft Teuburt.

Then traded Teubert, plus another 1st for Penner.

Gross.

Chasing size always bites you in the ass.

Reactions: David Lunch

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Yes, the Kings need Gavrikov. Problem is, Gavrikov doesn't need the Kings, at all.
He needs the beach, wife needs the shopping and gucci lifestyle. Just don't tell him about the taxes and we are good ;)

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Tuebert despite being “barely old enough to buy a beer” was a completely lost cause by the time he was traded. It was basically Penner for a 1st. Like I said back in the day, once a 1st round pick skater hits the ECHL it’s game-set-match on their career.

The Kings knew he was done at 18.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The only reason you're defending it is because it was a move made by Dean Lombardi.

Lombardi completely squandered Cammalleri.
...and it worked out just fine. Dean once said in public Cammalleri would always be one of the best players on a lousy team. He was correct. Over a 15-year career Cammalleri played in 32 playoff games, and the furthest one of the teams got was the Eastern Conference Final where Montreal lost 4 games to 1 against the Flyers.

Take away the season where Montreal went to the Eastern Conference Final and Cammalleri played in 13 playoff games. Mike Cammalleri is not the type of player with which an organization wins championships.

Many fans wanted Cammalleri to be named captain. They were wrong.

Contrast Cammalleri with Brown who over 18 seasons played 92 playoff games, went to the Western Conference Final three times, and won two Stanley Cups.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I remember someone at dev camp looked at Teubert and said "tell me that's not a first round pick."

I bit my tongue but was thinking "that's not a first round pick."

I have since avoided drawing conclusions based on a camp, but good lord he was unimpressive from day one.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
...and it worked out just fine. Dean once said in public Cammalleri would always be one of the best players on a lousy team. He was correct. Over a 15-year career Cammalleri played in 32 playoff games, and the furthest one of the teams got was the Eastern Conference Final where Montreal lost 4 games to 1 against the Flyers.

Take away the season where Montreal went to the Eastern Conference Final and Cammalleri played in 13 playoff games. Mike Cammalleri is not the type of player with which an organization wins championships.

Many fans wanted Cammalleri to be named captain. They were wrong.

Contrast Cammalleri with Brown who over 18 seasons played 92 playoff games, went to the Western Conference Final three times, and won two Stanley Cups.
This is a silly take, and you know exactly why.

BTW, Cammalleri was a fantastic playoff player.

Regardless, there's no defense for Dean botching his value. You'll defend it only because it was your guy that did the botching.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
yeah, 17 goals and 32 points in 32 games says he was fine in stepping up in big spots. Ask Crosby and the Pens, that was one of those series where one guy won it. I think this is more of the myth of “playoff tye players”. I remember when Dean chose to trade for Smyth rather than pay for Gaborik. Many people here claimed Gaborik was not a playoff player and that Smyth was. Of course that proved to be false as in 2014 Gaborik was arguably the Kings best player. The number of huge goals be scored was epic, no way do the Kings win the cup without him.

I do agree that you want Cammalleri in a 2nd line spot and you aren’t winning with him as a 1st liner, but the same is true of guys like Richards and Carter, they only won because they got traded to a place with better players in front of them. There are not that many players in the NHL who can be top end first liners on a team that is truly contending. Probably less than 40.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This is a silly take, and you know exactly why.

BTW, Cammalleri was a fantastic playoff player.

Regardless, there's no defense for Dean botching his value. You'll defend it only because it was your guy that did the botching.
I'll defend what I posted because Dean was about winning, not stats. BTW care to post anything about Cammalleri's defense, phyical play, or +/- in the playoffs. It isn't just about points.

..and of course Cammalleri's teams didn't make the playoffs often, or when they did, they didn't go far. It's just as it was said, "He will always be the best player on a lousy team."

Last edited:
Reactions: David Lunch

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I remember someone at dev camp looked at Teubert and said "tell me that's not a first round pick."

I bit my tongue but was thinking "that's not a first round pick."

I have since avoided drawing conclusions based on a camp, but good lord he was unimpressive from day one.

He reminded me of the biggest kid on the play ground and looked great, right until he went up against kids his size.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Teubert has a case for being the worst player taken in the 1st round this century. The only thing that may save him from that distinction is the 24 NHL games he played, however it's important to remember that was for an Oilers team that was actively trying to lose games at the time. Had he been on literally any other organization in the league he probably plays 0 NHL games.

- Sent to the ECHL at the end of his D+1 and D+2 (unheard of for a 1st round pick)
- Wasn't tendered a QO by the Oilers after his ELC expired. Again almost unheard of for a former 1st rounder
- Left for a 2nd tier European league (DEL). Most failed 1st rounders end up in the KHL, Sweden or Switzlerland.
- Retired after 4 years in Germany at age 26.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'll defend what I posted because Dean was about winning, not stats. BTW care to post anything about Cammalleri's defense, phyical play, or +/- in the playoffs. It isn't just about points.

..and of course Cammalleri's teams didn't make the playoffs often, or when they did, they didn't go far. It's just as it was said, "He will always be the best player on a lousy team."
You're being disingenuous because you know one player doesn't determine whether a team wins or loses. Brown wouldn't have won shit if he played for the same teams as Cammalleri.

Do I need to bust out the career playoff +/- of guys like Mike Richards, Yzerman, Jeff Carter, Selanne, Doughty, Tarasenko etc. for you?

But all I say it again. Regardless of what you think of Cammalleri Dean Lombardi botched and mismanaged him as an asset. The only reason you're downplaying / defending it is because you like Lombardi.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You're being disingenuous because you know one player doesn't determine whether a team wins or loses. Brown wouldn't have won shit if he played for the same teams as Cammalleri.

Do I need to bust out the career playoff +/- of guys like Mike Richards, Yzerman, Jeff Carter, Selanne, Doughty, Tarasenko etc. for you?

But all I say it again. Regardless of what you think of Cammalleri Dean Lombardi botched and mismanaged him as an asset. The only reason you're downplaying / defending it is because you like Lombardi.
I think I have posted that Dean didn't get full value for Cammalleri. I also said it the greater scheme of things it didn't matter a damn bit. The important thing is he was gone.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think I have posted that Dean didn't get full value for Cammalleri. I also said it the greater scheme of things it didn't matter a damn bit. The important thing is he was gone.

But why?

The money was basically used a year later on an older, less effective player who ended up quitting on the team and wanting out when they wouldn't extend him. And they had to give up a 40 point defenseman to get that player in a trade.

Had they put the money towards Gaborik (which in fairness they did at least attempt to) it would have been different. But you save $6m by trading 25 year old Cammalleri and use it to trade for 33 year old Ryan Smyth making more money than Cammalleri... AND you had to trade assets?

The whole thing was bungled, they should have traded him in 2007 and then put the money towards a way better player than they did.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
But why?

The money was basically used a year later on an older, less effective player who ended up quitting on the team and wanting out when they wouldn't extend him. And they had to give up a 40 point defenseman to get that player in a trade.

Had they put the money towards Gaborik (which in fairness they did at least attempt to) it would have been different. But you save $6m by trading 25 year old Cammalleri and use it to trade for 33 year old Ryan Smyth making more money than Cammalleri... AND you had to trade assets?

The whole thing was bungled, they should have traded him in 2007 and then put the money towards a way better player than they did.
It wasn't about saving money. It was about moving Cammalleri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad