Confirmed with Link: Kings have traded Jonathan Quick to #CBJ as part of a deal that will send back Joonas Korpisalo.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
This trade ain't in the top 10 worst trades by the Kings.

This would be more like the Sekera trade. Good player(s) that helped the team but ultimately the Kings lost a late 1st for nothing. Don't get me wrong, it's bad but it isn't disastrous (though it could be if they somehow draft a franchise player with the pick).

Still hopeful they find a way to keep at least one of them.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego

This would be more like the Sekera trade. Good player(s) that helped the team but ultimately the Kings lost a late 1st for nothing. Don't get me wrong, it's bad but it isn't disastrous (though it could be if they somehow draft a franchise player with the pick).

Kings not only missed the playoffs (also the same season as the Voynov fiasco), but they missed out on NHL All Stars Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Boeser, and Konecny from the first round. Sebastian Aho, Brandon Carlo from the second.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
No way.

As far as bad trades go, this is just average.

Now's not the time for reason, this place is in DEFCON 500

Kings not only missed the playoffs (also the same season as the Voynov fiasco), but they missed out on NHL All Stars Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Boeser, and Konecny from the first round. Sebastian Aho, Brandon Carlo from the second.

Those picks you mentioned were from the year before with the 1st from the Lucic trade, the first traded for Sekera ended up being Julien Gauthier who's a 4th liner at this point at best. Tage/Kyrou/Debrincat all went in the 20ish picks after that, but not a whole lot to write home about from range of the draft in 2016.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Even DL's scouts all said this was a bad trade. From Futa to Yanetti . His ego gone wild, just like the Lucic trade.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This trade always come to mind for me.

I'm sure Johnny Utah thought this was a phenomenal trade.

Chasing toughness almost always bites you in the ass.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
The clock is ticking on this being the worst trade in franchise history if both Gavrikov and Korpisalo walk.

Edit: Okay, this is a bit hyperbolic. Nevertheless, if both players walk, and the Kings lose in round one, this is absolutely one of the worst trades in recent Kings history.
No. This is excessively hyperbolic

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Lucic trade is the worst Kings trade of the 21st century. A team that had missed the playoffs the season before trades a bunch of assets, including its 1st round pick in that years draft for a declining power forward they were going to have zero chance of signing at the end of the year. It made absolutely zero sense at the time and it has only gotten worse with age. I would argue it was one of the most illogical trades in all of pro sports in this century.

Not being able to draft Barzal (who Futa said they were planning on taking before the trade) prevented the Kings from having a 2C behind Kopitar for the last 6-7 seasons including this one, and created a kind of butterfly effect where the Kings have subsequently used numerous high draft picks searching for a similar caliber center to Barzal, with what as of now have been pitiful results.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The Lucic trade is the worst Kings trade of the 21st century. A team that had missed the playoffs the season before trades a bunch of assets, including its 1st round pick in that years draft for a declining power forward they were going to have zero chance of signing at the end of the year. It made absolutely zero sense at the time and it has only gotten worse with age. I would argue it was one of the most illogical trades in all of pro sports in this century.

Not being able to draft Barzal (who Futa said they were planning on taking before the trade) prevented the Kings from having a 2C behind Kopitar for the last 6-7 seasons including this one, and created a kind of butterfly effect where the Kings spent subsequently used numerous high draft picks searching for a similar caliber center to Barzal, with what as of now have been pitiful results.

Deans ego gone wild! But wait, there's more:

You forgot the Martin Jones factor. They flipped him back to SJ for a 1st, and he single-handedily eliminated us from the playoffs and contunues to beat the Kings 7 years later. He gave up 8 goals this year, and still beat us.

Reactions: mysterman2

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
This trade always come to mind for me.

I'm sure Johnny Utah thought this was a phenomenal trade.

Chasing toughness almost always bites you in the ass.
Funny how the article mentions Churla’s arrival could mean the departure of McSorley. They ended up being traded together along with Kurri just a few weeks later for Norstrom, Laperriere, Ferarro, and Lafayette.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Lombardi really made some strange moves in the end.

The Cernak deal really bothers me - he is exactly what the Kings needed. A big, tough RHD.

The Lucic deal was strange also - Lucic still had one more good season of 20 goals after he went to Edmonton and then it started to go downhill. Dean decided that it was time to move on from Justin Williams playing with Kopitar and try Lucic.

The following moves ended DL.

-The Lucic Trade.
-The Sekera Trade
-The Bishop Trade.
-Refused to fire Sutter.

Blake has to try and salvage the Gavrikov and Korpisalo trade by signing at least one of them - then it's a 1st and a 3rd for either a top 4 LHD or a starting goalie.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

The Cernak deal really bothers me - he is exactly what the Kings needed. A big, tough RHD.

The Lucic deal was strange also - Lucic still had one more good season of 20 goals after he went to Edmonton and then it started to go downhill. Dean decided that it was time to move on from Justin Williams playing with Kopitar and try Lucic.

The following moves ended DL.

-The Lucic Trade.
-The Sekera Trade
-The Bishop Trade.
-Refused to fire Sutter.

Blake has to try and salvage the Gavrikov and Korpisalo trade by signing at least one of them - then it's a 1st and a 3rd for either a top 4 LHD or a starting goalie.

I just don't think they could afford him being up against the cap back then. Not sure what his ask was, but you have to think it was more than what he eventually got. He got a 2 year 9 mil deal from the Caps, then he signed a 2 yr 6.50 mil deal with Carolina.He did ok after leaving.

Last edited:

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

Yannetti was asked about Cernak on ATKM

Runtime: 55:25 is the beginning of his long answer, but this at the end pretty much sums it up.

At one point the relationship with Erik was unsalvageable. Once the relationship is unsalvageable, you get what you can. We shouldn't have let the relationship get unsalvageable.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Funny how the article mentions Churla’s arrival could mean the departure of McSorley. They ended up being traded together along with Kurri just a few weeks later for Norstrom, Laperriere, Ferarro, and Lafayette.

which ironically enough...one of the best trades in Kings history.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yannetti was asked about Cernak on ATKM

Runtime: 55:25 is the beginning of his long answer, but this at the end pretty much sums it up.

At one point the relationship with Erik was unsalvageable. Once the relationship is unsalvageable, you get what you can. We shouldn't have let the relationship get unsalvageable.

How could they manage to do that with a 19-year-old kid who was just drafted two years prior? Did Sutter tell him to get f***ed and call him a piece of shit in front of everyone? You'd think he must've been treated terribly in order for a relationship to become unsalvageable.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Gavri is who we need signed. Even Doughty is pulling for that to happen from what he said in his exit interview. If not we are back to square one with big holes on LD. I also think Blake still has hope that Cal can play in the NHL next year. Which would be another blunder.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Gavri is who we need signed. Even Doughty is pulling for that to happen from what he said in his exit interview. If not we are back to square one with big holes on LD. I also think Blake still has hope that Cal can play in the NHL next year. Which would be another blunder.
It's not crazy to think that Cal could back up Copley next season. I mean, what else are you gonna do with Cal? He's almost as untradeable as Jack Campbell, you can't buy him out yet, you only save $1M to bury him in Ontario. Then you have to sign another goalie. It's not as obvious as you think.

Maybe Cal plays 25-30 games and doesn't do too much damage. The Kings also sign Gavrikov and Vilardi. That's probably the best outcome.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
How could they manage to do that with a 19-year-old kid who was just drafted two years prior? Did Sutter tell him to get f***ed and call him a piece of shit in front of everyone? You'd think he must've been treated terribly in order for a relationship to become unsalvageable.
You figure. the team was coming off of cup wins and Sutter was at the helm. Shit. Daryl probably fired a puck at him and told him to get his ass over in rookie camp.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
which ironically enough...one of the best trades in Kings history.
That was such a weird season. Robison’s first season as coach. Started off on a 7 game unbeaten streak before it all fell apart. Almost everyone, including Gretzky, was traded. If you look at the team photos before the season and at the end of the season, there were only a few guys left, including Blake who missed all but 6 games due to injury.

Reactions: Schrute farms

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Sounds like it went back further than than that. Miscommunication with a 17 year old, holding him to old school standards and not understanding what was really happening. It's like Yanetti said, once they saw his first impression in a game, it's like they never got over it [ being scared], and thats all they saw. Even after they could tell he made big improvements in Erie, thats all DL/Sutter saw and things never got better. Old boys thinking strikes again. It was a massive misstep .

Reactions: King'sPawn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad