Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire forward Viktor Arvidsson in exchange for two draft picks

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Arvidsson led the Press in ES pts this year.

Would've been tied for 2nd on the Kings, 4th with goals as the tiebreaker.

That's one reason I wouldn't mind seeing them keep AA, in addition to whatever else they do. He was tied with Kopitar in ES goals, and tied for 2nd in ES pts. He was actually productive sometimes. Why are we wanting to get rid of that?

I'm not saying to just get rid of him but I'm not hell bent on protecting him.

I liked that he fought Krug after the Kopitar hit and then the fights with Sorensen in San Jose. The latter wasn't sticking up for a teammate bur rather himself but, you know, none of the other Kings really stick up for themselves either so it was nice to see. He has a nice shot and some fancy moves but he's kind of like, I don't know, out there doing his own thing if that makes sense?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
No, he shouldn't. Brown was awful last year, easily the Kings worst forward away from the puck. He got hot - and extremely lucky - for a few weeks early. He had six goals in a few week span that weren't even shots on net.

He gave away two OT extra points early, blew coverages left and right, and by the end of his year wasn't even trying to back check.

Brown may be a hero to a lot of us, but simply floating to the slot waiting to be fed tap ins is all he does now. If he gets picked up for his final year, fine, its just access to $5+ million in cap space a year early. It won't hurt anything but feelings and the net positive on ice would be a blessing.

I love Brown, and we can always appreciate what a total beast he was in the 2012 playoffs where he was destroying everything in sight while scoring at a point per game, truly one of the most under-appreciated playoff performances in the entire league in recent memory. But he is on the 18th fairway of his career, it's just about over. There isn't another team in the NHL that Brown would have been the #1 RW, he played a ton on the PP and played exclusively with the teams only offensive player with a pulse. It doesn't matter who you are, if you are a competent NHL player playing 1st line ES minutes with a center like Kopitar and a ton of minutes 5 vs 4 you are going to score a few goals, and that is what Brown did. I think he has some value in his leadership role and showing young guys the right way to be both on and off the ice, but on the ice there just isn't much left. It would suck for sentimental reasons to see him in another jersey, but for the future of the team it's better to lose him than Moore, Andersson or Clague.

That being said, I wouldn't hate having him in a much lesser role for his final season here. Just please, after he retires keep him retired and enjoying his millions with his kids and away from team management in any way. Same goes for any former player. But who are we kidding, we all know Brown will be the GM a decade from now with Stoll as his AGM and Matt Greene the head coach.

As far as Arvidsson, well everyone will be happy since it's 2 picks and not two actual prospects. He fills an organizational need as a right shot winger with some goal scoring ability, he should fill the role Brown had and very likely top his production but I still don't see how this really helps the Kings much for the ultimate goal. The loss of picks is irrelevant since it is just going to be yet another B-C level prospect and a long shot prospect but this just feels like one of those vintage Dave Taylor "Lets try and get the 7-8 seed" trades, like Martin Straka. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, but it's not going to be one of those trades that is going to be anything great or anything terrible.

Last edited:

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Low risk move. It fills a hole with a legit player rather than putting a 3rd line guy on the top 6.

We still have a pick in the 2nd and the 3rd. Have to give Blake credit here. It’s a good start.

I think there could be a bigger trade though that will involve Turcotte. If they are aiming high, he is the guy most likely to move rather than Byfield and Kaliyev. They could also move Vilardi but the return would be a fraction of what Turcotte would bring.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
No, he shouldn't. Brown was awful last year, easily the Kings worst forward away from the puck. He got hot - and extremely lucky - for a few weeks early. He had six goals in a few week span that weren't even shots on net.

He gave away two OT extra points early, blew coverages left and right, and by the end of his year wasn't even trying to back check.

Brown may be a hero to a lot of us, but simply floating to the slot waiting to be fed tap ins is all he does now. If he gets picked up for his final year, fine, its just access to $5+ million in cap space a year early. It won't hurt anything but feelings and the net positive on ice would be a blessing.
There is no one else to protect unless you go 4f-4d for Clague or Strand, but then you expose Kempe or Moore. Wagner, Andersson, Grundstrum, and Lemieux do less. Lizotte has been passed at center by Vilardi, Byfield, and Anderson-Dolan. AA doesn't have a contract. He has to be qualified to even count as a King for expansion draft purposes. What is left?

Reactions: BigKing

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I love Brown, and we can always appreciate what a total beast he was in the 2012 playoffs where he was destroying everything in sight while scoring at a point per game, truly one of the most under-appreciated playoff performances in the entire league in recent memory. But he is on the 18th fairway of his career, it's just about over. There isn't another team in the NHL that Brown would have been the #1 RW, he played a ton on the PP and played exclusively with the teams only offensive player with a pulse. It doesn't matter who you are, if you are a competent NHL player playing 1st line ES minutes with a center like Kopitar and a ton of minutes 5 vs 4 you are going to score a few goals, and that is what Brown did. I think he has some value in his leadership role and showing young guys the right way to be both on and off the ice, but on the ice there just isn't much left. It would suck for sentimental reasons to see him in another jersey, but for the future of the team it's better to lose him than Moore, Andersson or Clague.

That being said, I wouldn't hate having him in a much lesser role for his final season here. Just please, after he retires keep him retired and enjoying his millions with his kids and away from team management in any way. Same goes for any former player. But who are we kidding, we all know Brown will be the GM a decade from now with Stoll as his AGM and Matt Greene the head coach.

Sign me up for this. Let's do it now instead of waiting a decade.

RE: Brown...you expose him because Seattle will not take him. They will have younger players to choose from that might actually have a future in Seattle v. Brown who would be a one-and-done at best. Shit, he might even fail to report and just retire to stay home with his 23 kids.

Clague seems like the pick. I think Moore and Andersson are protected.

Reactions: lumbergh

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
The best part about the trade is the fact that the Kings didn’t have to give up future #1 center Blake Lizotte, who will more likely be the centerpiece in the upcoming Jack Eichel trade.

okay, this made me laugh. Not sure why its funny but it is

Our last two signings have an average height of 5'7 but will have the 2 biggest sets of balls on the team.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The best part about the trade is the fact that the Kings didn’t have to give up future #1 center Blake Lizotte, who will more likely be the centerpiece in the upcoming Jack Eichel trade.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Is this one of the "Blake will look to add two forwards.....a bottom 6 and a top 6"...... ???

I'm assuming this is the bottom 6. So, who's the top 6 gunna be?

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Most comments seem to suggest they hate this trade, and would’ve preferred to cut someone like Duchene loose over Arvidsson.
Seeing a lot of falls down to much, regressed since concussion talk. I still think it’s a good move but I don’t think he’s a true lamp lighter. Solid player tho. Hope he has some rejuvenation in LA.

Reactions: kinghock

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Arvidsson is very mediocre. Unlikely to have much impact. Maybe he gets reignited here. We'll see.

This is the type of move I was expecting. Low risk. A little upside. Cheap contract. Falls in line with everything Blake has done since becoming GM.

If he turns things around he can always be flipped later.

Reactions: KINGS17

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I'm nowhere near as high on Arvidsson as it appears most on here are, but this trade is ok I guess. It's a trade for a stop gap bridge player without giving up any prime assets, so seems pretty fair. This is NOT Arvidsson of a few years ago, which is what I feel people think the Kings are getting, when they are not. He's lost a step, and playing like he does at his size it won't get better.

With that said, this trade is a BILLION times better than signing Saad

Last edited:

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
There is no one else to protect unless you go 4f-4d for Clague or Strand, but then you expose Kempe or Moore. Wagner, Andersson, Grundstrum, and Lemieux do less. Lizotte has been passed at center by Vilardi, Byfield, and Anderson-Dolan. AA doesn't have a contract. He has to be qualified to even count as a King for expansion draft purposes. What is left?

That's not true on AA, he is currently under contract with the Kings until 7/28 and eligible to be taken in the expansion draft. Expansion draft is 7/21 and the qualifying deadline is usually the day after the NHL draft, so 7/25. To qualify him LA/Seattle only have to offer him the same $1.2 mil salary before the 25th, he doesn't have to accept it, the offer alone is enough to retain his RFA status. He's absolutely going to be qualified as $1.2 is a steal. He'll need to be protected.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Arvidsson's shooting percentage last year was 6.6%. His career average is 11.4%.

That could be a sign he's due for a bounce back year.

Reactions: Legionnaire

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If he doesn't improve his production this will look pretty bad. And we'll be stuck with him for 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad