Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire forward Viktor Arvidsson in exchange for two draft picks

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
20e6734d-a6fd-4a9c-a7d7-005d01e25e86_text.gif

This is one of the top 6
Wait is that the real Padme, or the fake one?

legitarita19

Oct 1, 2020
Not that things work out this way, but if LA doesn't get another top 6 forward this summer and is in the playoff hunt, I can see LA going after Filip Forsberg next March. Him and Arvidsson are good buddies and he will be a UFA. He's 26 and he would be a guy that you could bring in and he would make a real big impact.

I think the more pressing need for the summer is that 23-26 year old top four LD. Still would love Werenski or Sanheim but there are certainly others out there that would help.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Someone mentioned the Justin Williams acquisition and it has some similarities.

Williams was a 27 year old former 30 goalscorer with recent injuries and a dip in production. Arvidsson is 28, but otherwise basically the same situation.

I doubt Arvidsson scores 30 again but hopefully he can be a valuable contributor in other ways, just like Williams was.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Fair enough. I just don't know why he or anyone would cite numbers from 2016 to 2019. They are totally irrelevant to a discussion of any player.

And I don't hate the trade or the player as I said in my post. I just fail to realize what Blake's big picture model is to win the Kings another Stanley Cup, but Arvidsson is certainly the main organizational need at the NHL level, a right shot winger with some goal-scoring ability, but do you think it moves the needle on getting the Kings closer to a Stanley Cup during the life of his contract? I just don't know what the big picture goal is, I hope moves like this aren't to appease Doughty.

Although as someone else said, this is way better than overpaying Saad on something like a 6 year deal when the team has ample left shot forwards.

I certainly hope no one on this board would have that opinion, but you never know, I've heard worse.

The trade is fine, the last thing the Kings need is more middle of the road prospects like this 2nd rounder will provide. The most terrifying and disappointing part of this entire post is the head coach of the team saying that they are modeling their team structure and style on the Nashville Predators. Of all the teams in the NHL, Nashville is your inspiration? Gross.

Nashville has a .607% winning percentage the last seven seasons. If you have better players than their roster--eventually--why is it so horrible? The one thing that jumps out is that they were right above us in hits per game last season so that is lame but I don't think the idea is to emulate the 2021 Predators but more the 2015 -'19 versions.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Someone mentioned the Justin Williams acquisition and it has some similarities.

Williams was a 27 year old former 30 goalscorer with recent injuries and a dip in production. Arvidsson is 28, but otherwise basically the same situation.

I doubt Arvidsson scores 30 again but hopefully he can be a valuable contributor in other ways, just like Williams was.
Williams was acquired more for his leadership and competitive spark than his play on the ice. I don't know much about Arvidsson in the room

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Not that things work out this way, but if LA doesn't get another top 6 forward this summer and is in the playoff hunt, I can see LA going after Filip Forsberg next March. Him and Arvidsson are good buddies and he will be a UFA. He's 26 and he would be a guy that you could bring in and he would make a real big impact.
Demitra came to LA because of Palffy and Lubo. Niedermeyer went to Anaheim because of his brother.

So that sort of thing does happen.

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place

I think the more pressing need for the summer is that 23-26 year old top four LD. Still would love Werenski or Sanheim but there are certainly others out there that would help.

Might as well go for Ekholm too and just embrace being Team Sweden

Reactions: andys

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Fair enough. I just don't know why he or anyone would cite numbers from 2016 to 2019. They are totally irrelevant to a discussion of any player.

And I don't hate the trade or the player as I said in my post. I just fail to realize what Blake's big picture model is to win the Kings another Stanley Cup, but Arvidsson is certainly the main organizational need at the NHL level, a right shot winger with some goal-scoring ability, but do you think it moves the needle on getting the Kings closer to a Stanley Cup during the life of his contract? I just don't know what the big picture goal is, I hope moves like this aren't to appease Doughty.

Although as someone else said, this is way better than overpaying Saad on something like a 6 year deal when the team has ample left shot forwards.

It's always easy to draw parallels from history even if it doesn't mean they're perfectly accurate for the present moment, but this seems to me to be along the lines of the Justin Williams trade or Rob Scuderi signing, for example. 2008-2009 Kings were a mix of younger players breaking in with a number of vets. The team was also starting to transition out of a rebuild into trying to be more competitive. The team had recently drafted a guy who was supposed to be a franchise player. Finished with a .482 pts%. The 2021 Kings had a lower pts% but it's roughly the same phase of the rebuild (working to be more competitive with established players while still working to break some younger players in, just drafted a guy who is supposed to be a franchise player, etc.).

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Williams was acquired more for his leadership and competitive spark than his play on the ice. I don't know much about Arvidsson in the room

Well, he was coming off of a 37 game season and had only played in 32 games at the time he was traded to LA. 30 points in that 37 game season with 67 and 76 in the two full 82 game seasons prior. But he was not good during the season he was traded in '09 with only 10 points in 32 games for Carolina. He had two years left on his contract at $3.5MM which was a little over 6% of the total cap in 2009 with the cap staying flat in 2010.

Arvidsson is a little over 5% of the total current cap in comparison and is coming off of a good, injury shortened season (48 points in 58 games) and then two subpar, injury/COVID shortened seasons that still aren't as bad as the 14 points in 44 games Williams put up the year Dean traded for him. Crazy that Dean moved out a younger, top prospect that had 37 points in 62 games at the time of the trade for Williams and his 10 points in 32 games at the time of the trade. That does speak to the leadership angle with Williams but he was also buying low on a guy that put up nearly a PPG three years prior.

Don't know about the "room", but Arvidsson was a fan favorite in Nashville due to his playing style. Someone that plays like they care about winning hockey games is enough leadership for this current team.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Well now that I think about it, hopefully he's productive. We got that scrub Lemieux for his character, but that trade has been easily forgettable. And a lot were hyped over him.

But Arvidsson has skill and some grit.

Reactions: andys

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Well now that I think about it, hopefully he's productive. We got that scrub Lemieux for his character, but that trade has been easily forgettable. And a lot were hyped over him.

But Arvidsson has skill and some grit.

Lemieux only cost a 4th round pick and started to show a little more grit towards the end of the season.

A 2nd and 3rd isn't "nothing"...Martinez went for two 2nd's and he still had term. A 2nd and a 3rd are kind of nothing to LA though since they still have other team's picks in those rounds and a ton of prospects already.

Hopefully he is productive is damn right. 41 points in 82 games is the baseline but I think Blake will be a bit disappointed in those numbers unless 20 of those points are goals.

My big hope for Blake's acquisitions this offseason was something that would put good wingers that play the game the right way alongside Byfield. His development is the most important part of the rebuild so adding legit NHL wingers to help him along is a real plus for me: especially at the cost of superfluous picks.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
So Blake is playing Swedish chess.

Drafts Bjornfot two drafts ago.

Trades for Andersson last draft

Arvidsson now

Wallstedt at the draft

All has been a play to coax Forsberg here next season.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The problem is, we need another Byfield.

The best teams usually have multiple game breaking players they drafted themselves. The Arvidsson trade puts us further away from that.

Closer to the playoffs, further away from the SC.
Disagree. The move gives a better playing environment to develop the likes of Byfield and if Kalyev makes the roster it significantly reduces the pressure on him. It doesn’t necessarily get us closer to the cup but it doesn’t take us away from it. We have the #8 pick this year and a likely middling first rounder next year. Plenty of game breakers get drafted in those slots.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Disagree. The move gives a better playing environment to develop the likes of Byfield and if Kalyev makes the roster it significantly reduces the pressure on him. It doesn’t necessarily get us closer to the cup but it doesn’t take us away from it. We have the #8 pick this year and a likely middling first rounder next year. Plenty of game breakers get drafted in those slots.
That's the problem. It needs to be a top 5 pick.

The entire focus of the organization right now should be trying to get another Byfield caliber prospect.

Arvidsson is a black hole move.

Reactions: Herby

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
So Blake is playing Swedish chess.

Drafts Bjornfot two drafts ago.

Trades for Andersson last draft

Arvidsson now

Wallstedt at the draft

All has been a play to coax Forsberg here next season.

Setting the table for Landeskog first..:naughty:

Reactions: andys and funky

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Not sure why so many of us has Lias protected on these lists or even penciled in on potential rosters. Guy was pretty much invisible his entire time in LA; also didn't bring much feistiness that was talked about.

Instead of 'us', how about what Wroblewski said about Lias:
All the talk of the LA Kings coaches and players described the 22-year-old as a high-energy guy with plenty of tenacity, and he’s receiving the same sentiments from Ontario Reign head coach John Wroblewski thus far.
“He’s a fiery competitor, versatile offensively,” Wroblewski said following the Reign’s 5-3 loss on Wednesday. “And, you know, just at this point, it just checks all the boxes for what you want from a veteran guy or experienced player coming down from the NHL. “He not only plays an honest 200-foot game most nights, but he brings some electricity and some flair to his game as well.”
Lias has been steady every time he’s come down to the AHL,” Wroblewski said. “When guys like him come down, they tend to be very loud when it’s time to drop the puck. They want to prove a point that they’re NHLers and [Andersson] does a great job of providing that. He’s been great.”

I tried finding one of the later season games, in which Todd spoke about Lias' look off pass to Kupari, in which Kupari rifled that 25 wrister for a goal. After the game, Kupari credited Lias.
Lias was not great the first stint this season. He went to Ontario and was a PPG player and showed the fire and good play Wrobo spoke of. He even had 3 short handed goals there. He can finish breakaways. There were several games in which Lias made some great plays with Gabe (more than Carter did all yr) and he dropped the gloves, when Gabe was hit. He's still 22 and people forget that.
He's not the same kid that was 18 yrs old on the NYR and immature and not ready for that. And he's not the level of what was expected of 7 overall from 2017.
What he is, is an improving player with legit skill and talent, to be a very good 3rd line NHL lw. His vision, passing, shot and overall skills are 100% better than an Austin Wagner, Matt Luff
and Amadios. He's pretty good on the boards...this whole 'nasty' to play against was said by Futa and a few others. I did not see a lot of that, but he's not shy from getting involved.
You dont get the C for Team Sweden over Pettersen and Dahlin, without earning that.

They 100% are protecting him. He's not peaked at all and they dealt a 2nd rounder for him and spent time this year, transitioning him to LW. His last month, he looked very good most every shift.
His skating improved, since his Ranger days. Still not great, but certainly better than Vilardi in that dept. I still trade that 2nd again for him. He did not disappoint and we have not seen his best yet.

As far as Arvidsson, great deal. Loved watching him those 16-19 years especially. He was not bad this year. Some players that have concussions take time to heal. I know that Clifford
was close to having to retire (from a contact with a team contact) and he was able to heal to a degree to play.

Arvidsson > AA, Brown, Carter (3 of the top 6 for start of 19-20) I guess AA may have been 3rd line. Still have the 8OA and ALL the prospects.
Byfield makes the team and I think 1 of Kupari / Kaliyev does too. Turcotte, a possibility..

Let the kids play. Look at Caufield. Turcotte was the much better player at the WJC over Cole, 7 months ago. Why can't our kids step in? I say they can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad