Evander Kane slew foot on Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
That wasn't a slewfoot. That was Kane carrying him into the boards. Regardless....if his foot never left the ice, he's going for the ride and going down.

Kanes left foot came up behind Hughes left calf and his right leg swung up....

Reactions: 14ari13

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Interesting replies here.

There's no hit available for Kane on this play, Hughes moves the puck quickly & spins off the contact like he should as a smaller dman. Kane's never close enough to make a real hit.

Nothing is available for Kane so he sticks out the leg to atleast get a lick in.

Prob a 2 min tripping call in the regular season, in a tough game you let that go both ways, but this is a jist good quick-play by Hughes & Kane knows what he's doing. Imo
The interesting replies are folks wanting everything to be called when their own coach doesn't even want that. Give Ryan 5m, mcdavid 4 for the high stick. This hit is a nothing burger. Give us the too many man Zadorov scored on, the hyman high stick. Give us Drai back on the bs scrum incidental in which he did nothing...

Canucks can have 7 more minutes of PP, we can have 4, plus Drai for one of the ones we did have. Then ask yourselves how that helps you, when one PP is at 50% and generating 33HDCF/60 and ~130CF/60, while the other has already gotten 50% more the opportunities and is...16%, 10HDCF/60, ~80CF/60 because it spends half the PP trying to get in the zone.

Silovs is going to be burnt out in one period if this turns into a PP fest, Canucks should just focus on trying to get as many incidentals as possible to play the whole game at 4 on 4.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The interesting replies are folks wanting everything to be called when their own coach doesn't even want that. Give Ryan 5m, mcdavid 4 for the high stick. This hit is a nothing burger. Give us the too many man Zadorov scored on, the hyman high stick. Give us Drai back on the bs scrum incidental in which he did nothing...

Canucks can have 8 more minutes of PP, we can have 4, plus Drai for one of the ones we did have. Then ask yourselves how that helps you, when one PP is at 50% and generating 33HDCF/60 and ~130CF/60, while the other has already gotten 50% more the opportunities and is...16%, 10HDCF/60, ~80CF/60.

We can go tit for tat. Missed too many men on the delayed penalty against the Oilers, the guy coming on for EDM touched the puck (and killed the advantage) while his substitute was still on the ice. Nvm McDavid missed double minor, Desharnais grabbing Garland, McDavid embellishment x2, and of course the non-call this thread is about. Exc.

Again we can go tit for tat. I don't even have a problem with this not being called so long as it's fair game both ways including on the Oilers captain. The only issue Canucks fans should have is the missed double minor imo. I think the refs have missed calls pretty evenly both ways & let it be playoff hockey.

I'm also not pretending special teams is an advantage for Van, I was just analyzing a play lol.

Reactions: JAK

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
We can go tit for tat. Missed too many men on the delayed penalty against the Oilers, the guy coming on for EDM touched the puck (and killed the advantage) while his substitute was still on the ice. Nvm McDavid missed double minor, Desharnais grabbing Garland, McDavid embellishment, and of course the non-call this thread is about.

Again we can go tit for tat. I don't even have a problem with this not being called so long as it's fair game both ways including on the Oilers captain. The only issue Canucks fans should have is the missed double minor imo.

I'm not pretending special teams is an advantage for Van, just analyzing a play.
Of course we can, along with all the hands in the face on hits against Oilers, significantly more cross checking away from the play. I agree on the Hughes 4m.

Nurse could have gotten a penalty for throwing Garlands stick, but then he'd also get called for his 3 cross checks. JT Miller generally grabbing mcdavid anytime he can. The nucks never getting kicked out of the faceoff circle despite multiple infractions.

It all is what it is. I think the reffing was generally fine, the missed Hughes call and the zadorov scoring on a too many men were the egregious things IMO. The rest is just fog of war.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Reffing not great tonight, but I don't really think this is a big deal. It's not a slew-foot for one, at worst it's a trip?

The high sticking call on McDavid was among the worst missed-calls of night. That being said, there was a missed too many men call just before the Canucks 3rd goal so I don't have too much sympathy there. But if a guy is bleeding because of a stick to the head you hope that gets called regardless...

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Of course we can, along with all the hands in the face on hits against Oilers, significantly more cross checking away from the play. I agree on the Hughes 4m.

Nurse could have gotten a penalty for throwing Garlands stick, but then he'd also get called for his 3 cross checks. JT Miller generally grabbing mcdavid anytime he can. The nucks never getting kicked out of the faceoff circle despite multiple infractions.

It all is what it is. I think the reffing was generally fine, the missed Hughes call and the zadorov scoring on a too many men were the egregious things IMO. The rest is just fog of war.

Again, we can go tit for tat. The Oilers ran so much interference in that game to open up space/opportunity, McDavid, Hyman, Nurse, Ekholm. And to their credit I've long thought learning how to run subtle but effective interference is a staple of cup winners, but if we are going tit for tat it existed.

Hughes has been getting run every opportunity all playoffs, whether the puck is on his stick or not, & he never gets the benefit of the doubt, atleast the refs have enough respect for McD to buy one of his sell-jobs.

I'm sure you & I could go back & forth, tit for tat, all night, but I think its been pretty even. To extend an olive branch I even thought the Oilers should've had a 2nd PP in the 1st game, but so far its pretty even, only legit issue from a VAN perspective is the missed double minor tonight (or atleast them not huddling to try & figure it out).

But its been a good series so far, game 2 was pushes both ways & the Oilers really pushed hard in the 3rd.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We can go tit for tat. Missed too many men on the delayed penalty against the Oilers, the guy coming on for EDM touched the puck (and killed the advantage) while his substitute was still on the ice. Nvm McDavid missed double minor, Desharnais grabbing Garland, McDavid embellishment x2, and of course the non-call this thread is about. Exc.

Again we can go tit for tat. I don't even have a problem with this not being called so long as it's fair game both ways including on the Oilers captain. The only issue Canucks fans should have is the missed double minor imo. I think the refs have missed calls pretty evenly both ways & let it be playoff hockey.

I'm also not pretending special teams is an advantage for Van, I was just analyzing a play lol.
Don’t forget the missed embelishment by Zadorov:

Z must be taking lessons from the Ric Flair:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Don’t forget the missed embelishment by Zadorov:

Z must be taking lessons from the Ric Flair:

Hoglander finishes his check on Ryan like literally everyone does in the playoffs (and with minimal force), then Ryan credit cards him as he's changing & somehow its offsetting minors.

Makes 0 sense. Nvm McD diving on another play in the nuetral zone prior to the one he actually drew.

Again, we can go tit for tat.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hoglander finishes his check on Ryan like literally everyone does in the playoffs (and with minimal force), then Ryan credit cards him as he's changing & somehow its offsetting minors.

Makes 0 sense. Nvm McD diving on another play in the nuetral zone prior to the one he actually drew.

Again, we can go tit for tat.
Pretty sure Hoglander got a good cross check on Ryan’s ribs. Derek Ryan isn’t that type of player. He’d only do the but check in response to a dirty play on him.

I don’t remember a McD dive though. Doubt it happened. Got a video?

Last edited:
Reactions: Macheteops

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Am I crazy or is there just no good reason to have your skates wide enough to clean both legs out?

Wide skates, kicks the leg up on the finish... why are we talking about Hughes here?

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's one of those weird plays where the intent was actually worse than the action.

It didn't even really end up mattering much...but Kane clearly kicks his leg out toward the boards behind Hughes legs going in. The only reason to be doing that, is malicious intent to injure. That's not a "hockey play" or a "natural movement". That's a deliberate scuzzball action trying to put Hughes in a worse spot to go more awkwardly into the boards. Rather than just finishing the hit clean through him.

Doesn't even really connect much...but it's still a dirty ass unacceptable play.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015
Pretty sure Hoglander got a good cross check on Ryan’s ribs. Derek Ryan isn’t that type of player. He’d only do the but check in response to a dirty play on him.

I don’t remember a McD dive though. Doubt it happened. Got a video?
No one ever seems to have evidence of mcdavid diving but it shouldn't be hard if it apparently happens all the time

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Hughes didn't want to take a check and turned last second. I don't know how Kane checks a person and hides his legs

Reactions: soothsayer

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hughes really needs to stop turning away from hits and just absorb them.

He has such a tiny frame though which makes it difficult. He’s a very dynamic offensive D man with exceptional skill but his lack size and relatively physical weakness can lead to absorbing punishment. You can see he looks scared to get hit at times.

Great player with elite skill but the above is a fair observation.

Reactions: PuckG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad