Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire forward Viktor Arvidsson in exchange for two draft picks

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I love Brown, and we can always appreciate what a total beast he was in the 2012 playoffs where he was destroying everything in sight while scoring at a point per game, truly one of the most under-appreciated playoff performances in the entire league in recent memory. But he is on the 18th fairway of his career, it's just about over. There isn't another team in the NHL that Brown would have been the #1 RW, he played a ton on the PP and played exclusively with the teams only offensive player with a pulse. It doesn't matter who you are, if you are a competent NHL player playing 1st line ES minutes with a center like Kopitar and a ton of minutes 5 vs 4 you are going to score a few goals, and that is what Brown did. I think he has some value in his leadership role and showing young guys the right way to be both on and off the ice, but on the ice there just isn't much left. It would suck for sentimental reasons to see him in another jersey, but for the future of the team it's better to lose him than Moore, Andersson or Clague.

That being said, I wouldn't hate having him in a much lesser role for his final season here. Just please, after he retires keep him retired and enjoying his millions with his kids and away from team management in any way. Same goes for any former player. But who are we kidding, we all know Brown will be the GM a decade from now with Stoll as his AGM and Matt Greene the head coach.

As far as Arvidsson, well everyone will be happy since it's 2 picks and not two actual prospects. He fills an organizational need as a right shot winger with some goal scoring ability, he should fill the role Brown had and very likely top his production but I still don't see how this really helps the Kings much for the ultimate goal. The loss of picks is irrelevant since it is just going to be yet another B-C level prospect and a long shot prospect but this just feels like one of those vintage Dave Taylor "Lets try and get the 7-8 seed" trades, like Martin Straka. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, but it's not going to be one of those trades that is going to be anything great or anything terrible.

This is the kind of deal I was hoping would happen, an improvement to the roster's speed, forechecking and competitive nature without losing one of the prospects I wouldn't move. Its cheaper than a comparable UFA signing, and another sign that Blake and Co are sticking to their plan.

Always room for a mega deal, but in the mean time a need was addressed at minimal sacrifice. Straka was a lot like the Conroy, Heinze and Rasmussen signings, a lower end top 6 player brought in to play well above their station on a team that needed their very top slots filled.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
I love Brown, and we can always appreciate what a total beast he was in the 2012 playoffs where he was destroying everything in sight while scoring at a point per game, truly one of the most under-appreciated playoff performances in the entire league in recent memory. But he is on the 18th fairway of his career, it's just about over. There isn't another team in the NHL that Brown would have been the #1 RW, he played a ton on the PP and played exclusively with the teams only offensive player with a pulse. It doesn't matter who you are, if you are a competent NHL player playing 1st line ES minutes with a center like Kopitar and a ton of minutes 5 vs 4 you are going to score a few goals, and that is what Brown did. I think he has some value in his leadership role and showing young guys the right way to be both on and off the ice, but on the ice there just isn't much left. It would suck for sentimental reasons to see him in another jersey, but for the future of the team it's better to lose him than Moore, Andersson or Clague.

That being said, I wouldn't hate having him in a much lesser role for his final season here. Just please, after he retires keep him retired and enjoying his millions with his kids and away from team management in any way. Same goes for any former player. But who are we kidding, we all know Brown will be the GM a decade from now with Stoll as his AGM and Matt Greene the head coach.

As far as Arvidsson, well everyone will be happy since it's 2 picks and not two actual prospects. He fills an organizational need as a right shot winger with some goal scoring ability, he should fill the role Brown had and very likely top his production but I still don't see how this really helps the Kings much for the ultimate goal. The loss of picks is irrelevant since it is just going to be yet another B-C level prospect and a long shot prospect but this just feels like one of those vintage Dave Taylor "Lets try and get the 7-8 seed" trades, like Martin Straka. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, but it's not going to be one of those trades that is going to be anything great or anything terrible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Herby Logic here is that:

We have zero gamebreakers
If we don't trade for them we can only draft them
Trading Kopitar for a bag of pucks would be a better trade than this one because it gets us a better draft spot/lets us tank for longer

Let's just ignore that I'm insanely exaggerating, but I think I have the basic logic correct.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The fortunes of the team are in the hands of the guys who are barely, if at all, allowed to drink.

You know what trade didn't make the Kings a real contender? Justin Williams.

That was 2 years before Richards, whose aquisition also didn't finish the job.

Oh no, the Kings gave up nothing to try and get better. It's all pointless. Just fold the damn franchise already.

Reactions: dick341

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

Trading Kopitar for a bag of pucks would be a better trade than this one because it gets us a better draft spot/lets us tank for longer

Let's just ignore that I'm insanely exaggerating, but I think I have the basic logic correct.
I agree with him that the Kings dont have any game breakers right now. If they dont go after an Eichel type talent this move shows they want upper end place holders while their game breaking talent develops. And it wont hurt to have good hard working players surrounding the prospects coming up.
Seeing Suzuki and Caufield on the same line makes me want the Kings to throw Turcotte and Kaliyev to the wolves next year and see what they can do.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
This is a good trade. There's a good chance the Kings 2nd line center next season is going to be one of the youngsters (I include Vilardi in that mix but I would be happy with him at wing as well) and that center is going to need a nice solid veteran on his wing to act as training wheels. VA being a good forechecker is just what the doctor ordered as well. It's no surprise that when Gabe played well he had a player that fit the profile on his wings like Moore and Iafallo. If Byfield is the 2nd line center, the same logic applies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

1. Not zero, we have one likely game-breaker in QB. His production as a 17 year old in the OHL and his draft position historically tell us he is likely to be a very high end 1st line center, with legit star upside. I compare him to a Barkov type, and that is someone you can definitely call a foundational player.

2. Very hard to trade for these kinds of players. As discussed before the four most successful franchises since the lockout all drafted their foundational players and the majority of those were with very high picks. The Kings picks consisted of a #2 and a #5, and I think even the staunchest Alex Turcotte supporters would agree that he is very unlikely to be the caliber player of the ones listed. This summer there is a potential foundational player available for trade, but that is an extreme rarity in the NHL, maybe once a decade if even that.

3. With bringing in Arviddson I am hoping that it leads to a subsequent bigger move in hopes of making the team more competitive this season while adding a big piece to the next era, because the last thing this organization needs is another 2018 season. Before this trade, I'd have rather moved on from Doughty than Kopitar. Trading Doughty would have all but ensured high picks the next two years and the upside of having a real multiple year Stanley Cup window starting around 2025. I'd rather be awful for 2-3 more years and have players capable of creating a window like that than having 2018 type seasons for the next 2-3 years and come out of it without those types of players and AK and DD old. My guess is Blake is trying to open his window maybe next year while trying to sneak in the playoffs this year, he hopes QB has a solid year this year and breaks out next year and hopes that Kopitar and Doughty maintain current level and then have a short window before they fall off. I don't agree with it, but that is my best guess as to what he is doing. But a lot is going to have to go right for that to work and it's a very small window, AK and DD aint spring chickens and QB has to take 2 huge steps this year and next year to be a stud while those two are still capable of being stars.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Arvidsson has shown he is a legitimate star forward in the league. At his peak, he was a top 10’ish player 3-5 seasons ago. His combination of grit, touch and tenacity is rare. His addition should help the Kings roster and raises the talent level a notch. If you focus on RW, he’s the top player. And he’s probably the second best forward overall, which speaks to how bad the nhl roster is for the team.

But there isn’t much certainty about what impact he’ll make for the Kings. If he’s being penciled in as Kopitar’s linemate and #1PP time, that’ll be a first with respect to deployment. He’s never averaged 20 minutes TOI/G in his career. So expecting 25-30 goals is a stretch if he’s playing the 1-3-1 stapled to Kopitar’s wing and facing top competition nightly.

As far as the transaction goes, the price was a buy low acquisition. It’s not a dumpster dive trade, but it carries some baggage due to the remaining term on his contract and two down seasons in a row. He’s just as likely to rebound as he is to miss games due to injury or continue to decline. I guess we’ll just wait and see, but I am rooting for him. I love his game when he’s on and he makes the Kings more talented, so that’s a good thing.

As far as Rob Blake goes, it’s a middle of the road move. It nudges the needle forward but doesn’t demonstrate any significant progress in short term roster construction. But it’s something, I’ll give it that. And it’s a solid hockey move. It isn’t a dumb attempt at flash and no substance like the Kovalchuk signing. So it shows no panic and a desire to add without sacrificing the future, which is reassuring. Finally, making the move early is a benefit, as it addresses a key need and leaves plenty of time for additional upgrades without having spent any major ammunition.

Early Grade: B-

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
That's not true on AA, he is currently under contract with the Kings until 7/28 and eligible to be taken in the expansion draft. Expansion draft is 7/21 and the qualifying deadline is usually the day after the NHL draft, so 7/25. To qualify him LA/Seattle only have to offer him the same $1.2 mil salary before the 25th, he doesn't have to accept it, the offer alone is enough to retain his RFA status. He's absolutely going to be qualified as $1.2 is a steal. He'll need to be protected.

I thought he was a UFA this entire time since he signed here as an UFA but I guess it was because he didn't even get a QO.

Well...the cost for the production/speed is pretty good.

Kopitar/Kempe/Arvidsson/Iafallo/Moore/AA/Andersson

I mean, nothing lost in this draft should be as bad as losing McNabb, at least not immediately.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

The last tweet is just terrible news if Nashville is the model the Kings are using for the future. That would certainly explain a lot though.

Also, using stats from as far back as 2016-2019 is a poor take from Rosen, he should know that things change quickly in this league. I'm not saying he won't have a good year playing with Kopitar and getting a bunch of PP time, but what he did in those seasons is completely meaningless, we are entering the 21-22 season Jon.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
The last tweet is just terrible news if Nashville is the model the Kings are using for the future. That would certainly explain a lot though.

Also, using stats from as far back as 2016-2019 is a poor take from Rosen, he should know that things change quickly in this league. I'm not saying he won't have a good year playing with Kopitar and getting a bunch of PP time, but what he did in those seasons is completely meaningless, we are entering the 21-22 season Jon.

It's a good thing he's still doing those types of things even in this most recent season:

E5OQTi9XMAAFO29

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC

If you wear purple tinted glasses, Arvidsson is just as good a current day Kyle Connor or Nik Ehlers.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010

Byfield should be a game breaker. Some of our prospects might be. We need to look past the terrible team we have fielded and look to the future.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
It's a good thing he's still doing those types of things even in this most recent season:

E5OQTi9XMAAFO29

Fair enough. I just don't know why he or anyone would cite numbers from 2016 to 2019. They are totally irrelevant to a discussion of any player.

And I don't hate the trade or the player as I said in my post. I just fail to realize what Blake's big picture model is to win the Kings another Stanley Cup, but Arvidsson is certainly the main organizational need at the NHL level, a right shot winger with some goal-scoring ability, but do you think it moves the needle on getting the Kings closer to a Stanley Cup during the life of his contract? I just don't know what the big picture goal is, I hope moves like this aren't to appease Doughty.

Although as someone else said, this is way better than overpaying Saad on something like a 6 year deal when the team has ample left shot forwards.

If you wear purple tinted glasses, Arvidsson is just as good a current day Kyle Connor or Nik Ehlers.

I certainly hope no one on this board would have that opinion, but you never know, I've heard worse.

The trade is fine, the last thing the Kings need is more middle of the road prospects like this 2nd rounder will provide. The most terrifying and disappointing part of this entire post is the head coach of the team saying that they are modeling their team structure and style on the Nashville Predators. Of all the teams in the NHL, Nashville is your inspiration? Gross.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Good grab by Blake. Was getting a little worried about the list of 2-3 year, buy low vets that are available.

Now to take Tank on as a cap dump to recoup picks! :naughty:
(mostly joking :laugh:)

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

FWIW.....I don't think 20-25 goals is unreasonable.

Brown was on a 28 goal (82 game pace) last season, if you put Arviddson in the same role with Kopitar and on the #1 PP I don't see why he can't match that. Arvidsson is a much better player than Brown.

If Arvidsson does that with the Kings, and the Kings are out of it at the deadline and with 2 years left you can get a 1st for sure from a better team at the deadline. Perhaps that is part of the thinking, even if he doesn't make the team a playoff team they can flip at the deadline. A 1st in 2022 would be worth way more than a 2nd in 2021 and a 3rd in 2022.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Byfield should be a game breaker. Some of our prospects might be. We need to look past the terrible team we have fielded and look to the future.
The problem is, we need another Byfield.

The best teams usually have multiple game breaking players they drafted themselves. The Arvidsson trade puts us further away from that.

Closer to the playoffs, further away from the SC.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
The problem is, we need another Byfield.

The best teams usually have multiple game breaking players they drafted themselves. The Arvidsson trade puts us further away from that.

Closer to the playoffs, further away from the SC.
Oh the black hole theory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad