Post-Game Talk: King Cullen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The fact that Zibanejad and Kreider can't be split up is another ridiculous thing that is very Rongos.

I remember a while back Jon Cooper benched Kucherov for an entire third period in a close game. The game went to OT and he benched Kucherov for OT. Tampa won but I remember everyone losing their mind about how could Jon Cooper possibly bench someone like Kucherov in those situations.

Here, we don't even get close to that situation. We can't even split up our top players on different lines from their best friends, let alone bench any of them.

Wasn't Laviolette's main purpose to be the anti country club guy? What's really changed here? Zibanejad and Kreider like playing with each other so that means they get to stay together until the end of time?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The fact that Zibanejad and Kreider can't be split up is another ridiculous thing that is very Rongos.

I remember a while back Jon Cooper benched Kucherov for an entire third period in a close game. The game went to OT and he benched Kucherov for OT. Tampa won but I remember everyone losing their mind about how could Jon Cooper possibly bench someone like Kucherov in those situations.

Here, we don't even get close to that situation. We can't even split up our top players on different lines from their best friends, let alone bench any of them.

Wasn't Laviolette's main purpose to be the anti country club guy? What's really changed here? Zibanejad and Kreider like playing with each other so that means they get to stay together until the end of time?
It was good once so it would be unsafe to break it up.

That culture is so pervasive that a lot of the fans parrot it when you suggest changing certain things.

It's amazing to me that Tampa managed to survive with Kucherov not being on his line for two periods. I was told the world ends if you experiment.

Reactions: LOFIN

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
The only reward Trouba should get for all he's done this season is a class action lawsuit for us having to watch it.

Laviolette is definitely not f***ing helping but I've also kind of accepted that every coach is a moron still left over from the goon era.

yeah pretty much, they're all basically the same guy. but as far as the problem being organizational, i agree. something else said during the broadcast was that the Kings set up on the PK the way they do because of the analytics. by chance, they have the best PK in the league. our analytics department should be on a megaphone outside Laviolette's office telling him to stop using Trouba so goddamn much. but where are they? do we even have an analytics department? would the great Peter Laviolette of one Stanley Cup in 30 years of coaching even listen to them?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
yeah pretty much, they're all basically the same guy. but as far as the problem being organizational, i agree. something else said during the broadcast was that the Kings set up on the PK the way they do because of the analytics. by chance, they have the best PK in the league. our analytics department should be on a megaphone outside Laviolette's office telling him to stop using Trouba so goddamn much. but where are they? do we even have an analytics department? would the great Peter Laviolette of one Stanley Cup in 30 years of coaching even listen to them?
I'm pretty sure we do but I remember being like 29th or 30th to hire one.

The other one was the Ducks.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Actually, I was wrong.

The Penguins went THIRTY-seven minutes without a shot.

Won the game too.

Hate this sport.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
This team still needs that hard ass coach that teaches them to play the right way and holds people accountable.

I thought that coach was Roy this off-season... I guess we get to watch him with the piles now...

Sigh... This org is infuriating.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
IMG_3306.png

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This team still needs that hard ass coach that teaches them to play the right way and holds people accountable.

I thought that coach was Roy this off-season... I guess we get to watch him with the piles now...

Sigh... This org is infuriating.

Coaching does not matter. The players still call the shots.

The play on the ice says it all.

Why not bench a vet or 2 randomly to send a message, when they play like crap for a period or have a bad turnover unforced that turn into a goal against. If you can do that to someone like Cuylle, Lafy , Schneider, Jones or Kakko then you can do that to someone like Miller, Mika , Brodzinski, Goodrow etc. How about benching players that play soft defense or are fine with losing.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
We've had some pretty bad rosters over the years without a doubt but I feel like even the worst Rangers teams post lockout had some useful players in the bottom six.

Is the current bottom six of this roster the worst we've had since the lockout?

View attachment 807423

This should be a fireable offense.

By comparison, the 2014 team had:

Zuccarello - Brassard - Pouliot
Boyle - Moore - Carcillo/Dorsett/Fast/Miller

Depth is an issue for this team and Chytil alone won’t fix it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
will be curious to see what Drury does here to make changes. Or if they just stay the course because the goaltending has been shit and they’re still in first place

But all the goodwill they built up the first 25 games is gone

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Coaching does not matter. The players still call the shots.

The play on the ice says it all.

Why not bench a vet or 2 randomly to send a message, when they play like crap for a period or have a bad turnover unforced that turn into a goal against. If you can do that to someone like Cuylle, Lafy , Schneider, Jones or Kakko then you can do that to someone like Miller, Mika , Brodzinski, Goodrow etc. How about benching players that play soft defense or are fine with losing.

Oh it matters... But it's easy to tune out a coach if there are no repercussions for not listening.

This is why Torts is such a great coach.

Him and Hayes did not agree on how to play... He made sure Hayes knew it, and eventually Hayes was moved because of it.

Hayes was a big player for Philly at the time, Torts did not care.

Play his way or ride the pine.

That's what this team needs. Someone to say; "Hey Mika, have a seat."

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Oh it matters... But it's easy to tune out a coach if there are no repercussions for not listening.

This is why Torts is such a great coach.

Him and Hayes did not agree on how to play... He made sure Hayes knew it, and eventually Hayes was moved because of it.

Hayes was a big player for Philly at the time, Torts did not care.

Play his way or ride the pine.

That's what this team needs. Someone to say; "Hey Mika, have a seat."

Agreed, but Lavi doesn't want to deal with Kreider crying then. One of these prima donnas needs to get moved in the offseason. I don't care who or how.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
you say it's not the coach but this coach absolutely f***ing loves Trouba for god knows why. he has to be completely clueless because if my dumb ass sitting in my living room can correctly identify that he shouldn't be getting the minutes he is getting then it cant be that hard to see. Micheletti said during the game that Laviolette stated Trouba would get PP time as a "reward for all that he's done this season". if that's the case then we're completely f***ed anyway. why even bother if the coach thinks Trouba should be rewarded for anything he's done in the past month? he's been terrible. was Laviolette paying attention when Trouba gave up the 2nd goal basically all on his own last night? anyway hope he's happy that he got to take two of his patented big dumb slapshots from the point that the goalie stopped with ease.
Ha ha ... that was great. The very essence of the Rangers' broadcast. I put the game on mute after that.

Reactions: zlev

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
All you guys screaming for Mika to get benched, yet nobody ever shines a light on K'horrible.

Why does he get a pass for error after error after error?

Why does he never get held accountable for never being willing to take a hit to make the right play instead of dumping it anywhere to avoid contact?

Why does he get a pass after constantly not picking up coverage in front of the net?

Why does he get a pass for chasing a player with the puck out past the circles or even to the blue line and f***ing up the coverage game after game after game?

He is not a good defenseman. He has the hockey sense of a hammer. He has all the tools you would ask for but not a single clue about what he should be doing. On top of that he doesn't appear to be learning it either.

I have said before he is Brady Skjei 2.0 because of this: he has all the tools. You look at him and think he could win the Norris. But he has a checkers brain in a chess game. He will probably put up some seasons that are really good, but he will never come close to what his potential is because he either truly can't figure it out or doesn't care enough to get to the next level.

Please please please trade this f***ing guy before we sign him to a horrible boat anchor of a deal and handcuff this team until he's retired.

I have been saying this since the moment I saw him. He is not a top tier defenseman and if we pay him like one we are screwed.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Part of the problem is the Rangers want the officials to fight their battles for them. Which is insane considering that should’ve gone out the window after Wilson sacked their city and Tubby Smith was the only guy with the sack to confront him.
Reminds me of days of yesteryear when little Brendan Shanahan took on Donald Brashear in desperation because the rest of the team was too passive.

Reactions: McRanger92

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I know "this is the third coach" and all that, but coaching doesn't necessarily change the culture of an organization. The last coach we had who changed the organization was Torts.

It's still the same feckless, safe Rangers.

People talk about shaking things up. I get that, but who are we getting rid of? Should be Zibanejad but he has a NMC. You'd be absolutely insane to trade Kreider for the reasons I've gone on about. Instantly makes the team much worse. Do that if you're tearing it down. Who else is really shaking things up? Trouba would be nice but I don't see them doing that. They love Trouba. It's part of the problem.

I would be nice to have some different looks coming up from within. Edstrom was so refreshing. I know I keep going on about this one ass game from one ass player but it was so nice to have 1) a working third line and 2) a big body who plays the right way.

The Rangers saw Edstrom once and decided they hated it. He was gonzo before he was hurt. Had to get Bonino and Goodrow in. That's the part that bothers me. Othmann came up and played 2 minutes a game. They don't want to shake things up. It changes what they have which is so valuable, apparently.

Maybe Othmann wasn't ready. Again, that's not the point. It's the "ew rookies!!" attitude. "Ew something different!"

I know a lot of the players are to blame but this safe ass culture is one of the biggest drivers behind why nothing ever changes. Young players come up and add a different element and they cemented to the bench for it.
I was coming here to say pretty much exactly this. With the cap, contracts, and current state of GMs there is no big shakeup trade coming. The whole league mindset is as safe as our lineup construction is.

So with that in mind you simply can't have the bromance lines that we have. Gotta keep the guys on edge somewhat. Mika should be plastered to Bonino and Goodrow for a game or two. You think he comes out as VeganMika, I know you hate that that but you get my point, the next chance he has with Krieder?

3 coaches now and they all fall into the same bullshit with these players. Break it up. They're still gonna play hockey. I don't need the Tom Renney lineup generator but just a different, fresh look would be so nice to see and they would probably play better

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I know "this is the third coach" and all that, but coaching doesn't necessarily change the culture of an organization. The last coach we had who changed the organization was Torts.

It's still the same feckless, safe Rangers.

People talk about shaking things up. I get that, but who are we getting rid of? Should be Zibanejad but he has a NMC. You'd be absolutely insane to trade Kreider for the reasons I've gone on about. Instantly makes the team much worse. Do that if you're tearing it down. Who else is really shaking things up? Trouba would be nice but I don't see them doing that. They love Trouba. It's part of the problem.

I would be nice to have some different looks coming up from within. Edstrom was so refreshing. I know I keep going on about this one ass game from one ass player but it was so nice to have 1) a working third line and 2) a big body who plays the right way.

The Rangers saw Edstrom once and decided they hated it. He was gonzo before he was hurt. Had to get Bonino and Goodrow in. That's the part that bothers me. Othmann came up and played 2 minutes a game. They don't want to shake things up. It changes what they have which is so valuable, apparently.

Maybe Othmann wasn't ready. Again, that's not the point. It's the "ew rookies!!" attitude. "Ew something different!"

I know a lot of the players are to blame but this safe ass culture is one of the biggest drivers behind why nothing ever changes. Young players come up and add a different element and they cemented to the bench for it.
Othmann and Edstrom looked way better than some of the players we're seeing now.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany