GDT: WCSF GM 4 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Tue, May 14 | 6:30PM PST | SPAC | Thunderdome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I’m now anticipating that Soucy will be sat for one game. Not the end of the world.

I imagine Juulsen will get the call-up, but that Vancouver will begin to double-shift Hughes, Myers, Hronek, Zadorov, and Cole across 60 minutes to make up most of the ice-time.

I said this before, but I felt like the Oilers top-line was specifically targeting Soucy. It seems like they identified that they could take advantage of him when they pressure him to make a decision. They were purposefully skating towards him on several occasions and it led to a couple of goals against already.

Reactions: Indiana

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
What a joke suspension given what we’ve already seen in this years’ playoffs and the historic precedent for post-season discipline. Total witch hunt driven by national media.

Any other player that’s probably just a fine in the regular season.

Reactions: I am toxic

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Veteran Oiler reporter literally needs to STFU..He literally overlooks who instigated the incident , and who took the 2 hand stick swing at Soucy...To me it looked like Z pushed McD, who's head went down into Soucy's stick..(well below head level).

I get protecting star players getting targeted, this was not the case here..The instigator is getting nothing, and its a complete double standard by the league....If this was Dylan Holloway, and not McDiver..it would be a nothing burger.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think the important thing here is that we keep facing adversity and just keep finding ways to overcome the odds. If we are without Soucy so be it, it's stupid and ridiculous, but I feel pretty good that they can make things work. Gives Soucy a couple days off to ice up/rest.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This is my first real exposure to the older Oilers reporters and every single one of them are absolutely miserable useless f***s. Jim Matheson, Mark Spector, Terr Jones, etc. As much shit as the current Canucks media gets, I don't think they are anywhere near this level.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Even if Soucy gets a game who cares. He's banged up so a forced rest would do him some good. We have other guys more than capable of stepping up for a game.

With that said I hope they keep beating the shit out of McDavid and Drai. It's the playoffs baby!

Reactions: Indiana and M2Beezy

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Interesting wonder if it’s Juulsen or Friedman.
It'll be Juulsen I think. Coaching staff has way more trust in him based on the regular season and I think they will like to have his physical game.

But ultimately I think they do the Dallas thing and essentially go with 5. Hughes will be at 30 minutes.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Even if Soucy gets a game who cares. He's banged up so a forced rest would do him some good. We have other guys more than capable of stepping up for a game.

With that said I hope they keep beating the shit out of McDavid and Drai. It's the playoffs baby!

The big issue is that Soucy has done a very good job in 2/3s of the games at limiting McDavid. His length, skating ability, and reads have been very good and huge reason why McDavid has to stick to the outside. Juulsen and Cole don't have the speed to stay with him. Home games, it's much easier to avoid the unfavourable match-ups but I can see the Oilers hunting those two. The margins are razor thin in this series.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
And in regards to McDavid and how you play him, you're likely going to get a penalty if you touch him in any way, shape, or form: stick near his skates and he's down in a heap, push on him in his upper body and he's snapping his head back etc.

So, you might as well just make it count and beat the brakes off him if you're getting a penalty most times.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This is my first real exposure to the older Oilers reporters and every single one of them are absolutely miserable useless f***s. Jim Matheson, Mark Spector, Terr Jones, etc. As much shit as the current Canucks media gets, I don't think they are anywhere near this level.

All 3 of those fossil’s have been living in Northern Alberta most of their lives, shit must be miserable for them. Spector is a whole case of crazy, guy went on a witch hunt to call out people.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Just looked and McDavid has no NHL fights. Maybe it's time to stop using the twig as a weapon and use his hands.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
The big issue is that Soucy has done a very good job in 2/3s of the games at limiting McDavid. His length, skating ability, and reads have been very good and huge reason why McDavid has to stick to the outside. Juulsen and Cole don't have the speed to stay with him. Home games, it's much easier to avoid the unfavourable match-ups but I can see the Oilers hunting those two. The margins are razor thin in this series.
Totally agree. Losing Soucy is obviously a loss but this team just keeps beating adversity. Plus McDavid and Drai just keep getting worn down. With no 2 day breaks between series there is no question that fatigue is catching up to them.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Should try listening to Craig Simpson too. Even Oilers fans mock the guy.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Should try listening to Craig Simpson too. Even Oilers fans mock the guy.

I've hated Simpson for a very very very long time. Not even for any sort of bias, I think he's a bad colour commentator. Incredibly boring with no whit, humour, interesting stories, nor real emotion. The only positive, and if you watch any 2011 highlights, is he seems to have got over his "Goalie had no chance" problem. I guess the other positive is he has a clear and crisp voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad