Post-Game Talk: King Cullen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Imagine the reaction if he went to his backhand to lift it and lost control.

"Too sawft!!! Just shoot da puck soy boy!!"

He basically did what Zibanejad never does. We need to pick a lane.

I know a few guys in the league that would've tried shooting that puck the millisecond it touched their stick and a few that would've roofed the shit out of that puck if they decided to corral the puck before shooting like our kid here. :)

Speaking of which, I can't remember the last time this team got a proper rebound goal. We are so deep towards the net looking for deflections that we're flat-footed when rebounds come out in prime areas, or it goes right past us.

Reactions: majordomo

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Look at the photo
I've seen it. He had to take another touch to lift the puck. He did the right thing getting it on net quickly.

The team has plenty of weaknesses to talk about and it always has to be some dumb f***ing narrative.

Soft! Can't finish! No killer instinct! Good teams don't lose! A good player finishes that specific chance!

The morons running the team think the same way which is why helmet chucker plays 21 minutes a game. They probably unironically believe that turned the season around.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It's 100% true.

I know most people hate Gallant but the team looks exactly the same now as they did last season. Which, of course, shouldn't be surprising to anyone with a brain because the roster is the same (or worse) and 95% of NHL coaches are essentially the same as one another.

They got the mid-season coaching change bump at the beginning of the season and now it's worn off.
Nothing about this team is surprising. Good or bad.

It's gratifying to see someone else here that understands the almost total unimportance of a coach on the end results.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Well Igor is supposed to play the best teams he’s the number one goalie. So for context if we are talking context he makes almost 6 mil is 27 years old and just won a vezina. Quick is 38 makes a million dollars and almost out of the league last year.

Igor is the biggest problem. Has been all year

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
What's the rangers record in games when Panarin doesn't have a point?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
We have too many introverts on this team.
Passive as fuk.
No killer instinct.

Introverts?

Now it's a psychoanalytical problem.

It's always about talent, but some people love to find something else.

The talented teams that stay healthy and get good goaltending and some luck in the playoffs win the Cup.

Reactions: Shadowtron

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Rangers are too passive and soft. They are mentally weak. Teams like that don’t win in the playoffs. They either lose in round 1 or miss the playoffs.

If they magically added Mcdavid and Makar you wouldn't think they were mentally weak.

It's about talent. To make it in the NHL, you can't be mentally weak. They've all been working and training like maniacs almost their entire lives.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Well Igor is supposed to play the best teams he’s the number one goalie. So for context if we are talking context he makes almost 6 mil is 27 years old and just won a vezina. Quick is 38 makes a million dollars and almost out of the league last year.

Igor is the biggest problem. Has been all year

I get that Igor is supposed to be playing the better teams, but the comparisons that Quick is so much better playing shit tier and Igor is so much worse playing top tier is just funny to me. When 38 year old Quick takes the starting position, plays the majority of the games, and plays those games against the top echelon of the NHL then I think it would be fair to compare.

You know what's funnier, though? Knowing that it doesn't matter if we play Quick or Igor, the team in front of them can't score goals so these goalies need basically shutouts for the games that are played. I think that's the BIGGEST problem.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Introverts?

Now it's a psychoanalytical problem.

It's always about talent, but some people love to find something else.

The talented teams that stay healthy and get good goaltending and some luck in the playoffs win the Cup.
I know we disagree on some of the coaching stuff but it's nice to see somebody else rejecting the silly ass narratives.

People will do anything to not admit the team is middle of the road.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It is mostly the same as Gallant.

The only thing I'm going to harp on with Laviolette that's different is he doesn't play Fox as much.

I think "coaches are 95% the same" is a fair standard, and none of them do the things we want them to do.

That being said, playing a Norris winner 24, 25 minutes a game is something even the other coaches would do.

Doughty played 26:25 last night.

I know Fox had an injury but if you believe that's the reason, more power to you.

Laviolette just doesn't see Fox as a shutdown guy, even though Gallant used him as one extremely successfully.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah now is really not the time to have diamond hands on young players or picks if we can upgrade the team. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expect different results. Since Covid the constant has been the roster.
That is the position we are in generally. We do not have to throw the baby out with the bathwater but we can not sit tight and expect different results imo.

Reactions: McRanger92

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Not rotten but not championship caliper. I always shake my head when this board becomes obsessed with changing 7-12 minute players. Its not the 7-12 minute guys that will get us to a cup. Its the guys playing 15-21 minutes that need to be upgraded.
I do think the front office and Laviolette share this philosophy. Where 7-12 minutes of the game just don’t matter or exist because “it’s just the bottom 6 whatever”

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I do think the front office and Laviolette share this philosophy. Where 7-12 minutes of the game just don’t matter or exist because “it’s just the bottom 6 whatever”
Professional NHL coaches (nor I) think it is just the bottom 6 so whatever. Those are your words not mine.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
It is mostly the same as Gallant.

The only thing I'm going to harp on with Laviolette that's different is he doesn't play Fox as much.

I think "coaches are 95% the same" is a fair standard, and none of them do the things we want them to do.

That being said, playing a Norris winner 24, 25 minutes a game is something even the other coaches would do.

Doughty played 26:25 last night.

I know Fox had an injury but if you believe that's the reason, more power to you.

Laviolette just doesn't see Fox as a shutdown guy, even though Gallant used him as one extremely successfully.

I think there’s an organizational mandate to play Fox less to keep him from getting worn down. He’s more physical and grinds more than anyone gives him credit for but he’s still a small guy. There’s been a clear change in how they handle injuries as a whole this year.

The problem is the captain who is paid to carry the load has played like a passenger since the 20-4 start.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think there’s an organizational mandate to play Fox less to keep him from getting worn down. He’s more physical and grinds more than anyone gives him credit for but he’s still a small guy. There’s been a clear change in how they handle injuries as a whole this year.

The problem is the captain who is paid to carry the load has played like a passenger since the 20-4 start.
Unrelated, but this reminded me of a play last night where he swatted the puck away, put a body on the guy to post him out, got to the loose puck, deked it away from a second King, and made a long pass to start a rush.

And I was just like, "can anybody else do that? Anyone???"

Reactions: McRanger92

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Unrelated, but this reminded me of a play last night where he swatted the puck away, put a body on the guy to post him out, got to the loose puck, deked it away from a second King, and made a long pass to start a rush.

What period was it

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

It’s so funny that he and Laf are getting such heat recently. Those two have been our most consistently good players all season. At least now that Panarin & Trocheck have slowed down a bit. Laf is snakebit like crazy this year but everyone’s boyfriend Buchnevich used to go through similar month long stretches without goals. How soon people forget. I think that’s also Laf’s ceiling as a player

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Oh it matters... But it's easy to tune out a coach if there are no repercussions for not listening.

This is why Torts is such a great coach.

Him and Hayes did not agree on how to play... He made sure Hayes knew it, and eventually Hayes was moved because of it.

Hayes was a big player for Philly at the time, Torts did not care.

Play his way or ride the pine.

That's what this team needs. Someone to say; "Hey Mika, have a seat."

Trorts can make a difference sometimes, but it's always short-term, same as most coaches. It's fair to say you like the way a team looks with Torts, but in 23 years he's won one Cup and that was 20 years ago.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
This is what happens when you introduce young guys to this league without proper coaching and structure.

Quinn was the wrong coach.
Gallant was the wrong coach.
Lavi is the wrong coach.

This team needed a systems/structure/accountability coach from day 1 of the rebuild lasting at least 3 years.

We still haven't gotten that coach and the on ice product just oozes that.

Beginning of the season showed so much promise with a structure and system that was easy to see. But when bad habits started creeping back in, no one was benched. And so we're back to square one where the lines and defense have no system, no structure because it's readily apparent that unless you are a young player or getting paid league minimum, there is very little chance that there will be repercussions.

You left out a lot more, including AV.

How many coaches have to pass through until you realize it's not the coach?

The rebuild was aborted the moment they acquired Trouba and Panarin.

Imagine having to watch this group if Panarin wasn't here.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s so funny that he and Laf are getting such heat recently. Those two have been our most consistently good players all season. At least now that Panarin & Trocheck have slowed down a bit. Laf is snakebit like crazy this year but everyone’s boyfriend Buchnevich used to go through similar month long stretches without goals. How soon people forget. I think that’s also Laf’s ceiling as a player
I think that's a good comp. Elite even strength scorer with a little bite. I would take another Buchnevich.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Trorts can make a difference sometimes, but it's always short-term, same as most coaches. It's fair to say you like the way a team looks with Torts, but in 23 years he's won one Cup and that was 20 years ago.

You left out a lot more, including AV.

How many coaches have to pass through until you realize it's not the coach?

Oh no... I think you misunderstand. I don't think a Torts style coach wins a cup here... Nor do I think that that should be the plan.

I think you need a hard ass coach to come in with a plan and system that suits the personnel on hand.

Then you need a buddy coach to the let out the reigns a bit and win.

Torts taught the Rangers to play defense... And then they almost won it all under AV... That's a pretty common scenario in this league.

Quinn should have been a Torts style coach.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Look at the photo

I'll jump in here, it's clear Laf is trying to quicky corral/control a fast rebound puck on edge - that goalie is already right-leg-loaded and exploding across. The fact Laf actually snagged it and got that shot off is good, I think most on our team that puck goes right over their blade/no shot at all.

That still-frame picture is not a good one to go by.

But that's just my opinion and we can all go back and forth for another few weeks on it. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad