Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
His offense is not making much of a dent on the PP nor ES. So while it is great that he is leading in shots per 60, it does not change the fact that it makes very little difference in the teams overall output.

As for poor luck, sorry. It is not poor luck. He is nothing but a glorified 4th forward that can play the point on the PP. His defensive play is awful.
Normally I'd reply to this, but thinking back to what Gardner posted this morning in the spec thread, I suppose I'll just exit this conversation instead.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

KS22 is probably not performing up to everyone's expectations because...in an astonishing disclosure...the whole team isn't performing well.

More news at 11.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He is performing to my expectations, but his cap hit is higher than it ever has been in his career, again not his fault but it's not like the Rangers are getting the same value out of him as they would if he was at his old cap hit. A high cap hit Ranger UFA who is not a very good value, More at 11.

Reactions: NYR

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Not a huge fan of Shatty. He disappears for long stretches of the game. That would be a good thing if he was a stay at home, but hes not paid to do that. He needs to be much more assertive. He doesn't provide any spark to the team individually. I see little to no fire or passion in his game. Seems like he is just going through the motions 90% of the time.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
As someone else pointed out Shatty should be playing with McD. Their styles would work best together. Of course in all his machinations AV gave up on that one early on and never went back to it because he never changes his opinion about anything once he draws a conclusion. Even though none of the other combinations work well and the defense overall stinks.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
As someone else pointed out Shatty should be playing with McD. Their styles would work best together. Of course in all his machinations AV gave up on that one early on and never went back to it because he never changes his opinion about anything once he draws a conclusion. Even though none of the other combinations work well and the defense overall stinks.
It's like he doesn't recognize how bad the team is defensively, or how poorly certain combinations are. How can he possibly think Skjei-Shattenkirk should continue to be a pairing.

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
It's like he doesn't recognize how bad the team is defensively, or how poorly certain combinations are. How can he possibly think Skjei-Shattenkirk should continue to be a pairing.
I think it's because AV has boxed himself in. He has fallen in love with McD/Holden and he doesn't believe Smith is a top 4 dman. So by default he has Skjei/Shatty as his other top 4 pair. Never mind that Skjei/Smith worked so well at the end of last year and that Skjei/Shatty is a disaster. Even in the playoffs he stopped playing Skjei/Smith in favor of Staal/Holden to horrible result. But AV being AV he sticks to his opinions, let the facts be damned.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think it's because AV has boxed himself in. He has fallen in love with McD/Holden and he doesn't believe Smith is a top 4 dman. So by default he has Skjei/Shatty as his other top 4 pair. Never mind that Skjei/Smith worked so well at the end of last year and that Skjei/Shatty is a disaster. Even in the playoffs he stopped playing Skjei/Smith in favor of Staal/Holden to horrible result. But AV being AV he sticks to his opinions, let the facts be damned.
Sounds about right.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Not a huge fan of Shatty. He disappears for long stretches of the game. That would be a good thing if he was a stay at home, but hes not paid to do that. He needs to be much more assertive. He doesn't provide any spark to the team individually. I see little to no fire or passion in his game. Seems like he is just going through the motions 90% of the time.

If Skjei would stop making over-aggressive pinches or try to take the puck deep so much, Shatty could get a little more aggressive.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
He got off the crutches 2/7, started skating on 2/26. He is progressing but team will not rush him. Seems like he could be back before the end of the season if they really needed him

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd let him sit on it.

We're probably not going to the playoffs and frankly, I'm not sure we want to. (Just for AV purposes)

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd let him sit on it.

We're probably not going to the playoffs and frankly, I'm not sure we want to. (Just for AV purposes)
I get wanting AV gone. I dont trust him with young players. His coaching career has been built on having a great goalie and solid veterans. He is not a great coach and needs to go.

Having said that, I want to compete and would like to see Shattenkirk back in the lineup.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Compete for what exactly?

The playoffs are not happening. If you want to compete for the 9th spot in the east, you're essentially rooting against this team's long term future.

Even if they did happen, what's the best case scenario?

We somehow slither into the second round because of Hank, AV pisses away the second round series, and then we start next year with a bottom 10 first rounder and AV still coaching?

No thanks, we did that last year.

Granted, I'm not going to sit here and watch games and root for the team to lose. Just doesn't make sense to me. But I'm also sort of hoping don't make it and while I would try to win games, I wouldn't force the lineup to be better either.

Unless Shattenkirk is feeling absolutely 110%, he should sit the rest of the year.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I do not either. But isn't it more important that the team gets him back fully healthy next year?
If he is healthy he plays. If he is not 100% he sits. This is not some older guy with a histort of bad injuries/surgeries. Let him get his game back at the end of this season rather than extending the time all the way into the beginning of next for when he is in game action again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad