Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Sorry I don’t root for my Team to lose. That is essentially pathetic.
You are though. Rooting for them to lose in the future. You're rooting for outcomes that make future teams worse.

Recognizing the value of a top 5 pick in this draft, in the context of this season, is not even close pathetic. It's smart, level headed and mature.

I don't think wanting to see young up and comers pull out some surprising wins is necessarily dumb either.

What I do find incredibly ignorant and insulting is the idea that I'm pathetic because I don't get pissed with one losing season in the name of a player who can help the team win games, playoff rounds and possible championships in the future.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You are though. Rooting for them to lose in the future. You're rooting for outcomes that make future teams worse.

Recognizing the value of a top 5 pick in this draft, in the context of this season, is not even close pathetic. It's smart, level headed and mature.

I don't think wanting to see young up and comers pull out some surprising wins is necessarily dumb either.

What I do find incredibly ignorant and insulting is the idea that I'm pathetic because I don't get pissed with one losing season in the name of a player who can help the team win games, playoff rounds and possible championships in the future.

Keep all the picks you acquired. Compete. And hope your scouting and development team do their damn jobs.

No I am not going to hope we lose in one season. Will i be pissed? No. But not going to be ok with losing.

Last edited by a moderator:

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Oh wow you can predict the future.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Keep all the picks you acquired. Compete. And hope your scouting and development team do their damn jobs.

No I am not going to hope we lose in one season. Will i be pissed? No. But not going to be ok with losing.

Yes compete. That's why i said "its not dumb to root for young up and comers to get some surprise wins. " "you're not ok w losing"? We're not on the ice. It doesn't matter what you or I are ok with.

Tanking can fail. Top 5 picks can bust. So i dont blame anyone who wants to win. But there is zero reason to put down someone who sees the talent, coaching and i jury deficiencies of this season and thinks "hey its alright if we dont win for a season and get a potential stud to help the team."

I dont need the nyr to win to be a fan. They're my team and i can stick with them just as easily when they suck as i do when they're winning. You dont have to think like me, I'm not here putting you down for it. Why would i? We didnt tank from 05-14 and still built a cup quality team.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Nobody in the draft this year moves the needle, tanking should be reserved for the McJesus and Crysbabies of the world
This isn't exactly addressing what i'm actually speaking about. First, i gt say, I don't even consider us as full on tankng in the first place. We traded an aging, depreciating, Stepan, an aging, depreciating, soon to be FA McD, an overpaid, under-performing, soon to be FA Nash and a soon to be FA Grabner. Holden too. Edit: And we got back Spooner and we may have actually upgraded Miller

Our "tank" is greatly exaggerated imo.

What I'm actually saying here is if you tell me we could get a shot at Boqvist, Zadina or Svechnikov for the cost of losing 4 or 5 extra games this year then I see that as a FAR superior option for the future of the team compared to finishing barely out of the PO's

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
This isn't exactly addressing what i'm actually speaking about. First, i gt say, I don't even consider us as full on tankng in the first place. We traded an aging, depreciating, Stepan, an aging, depreciating, soon to be FA McD, an overpaid, under-performing, soon to be FA Nash and a soon to be FA Grabner. Holden too.
Yeah, I don't consider 90% of what people call tanking to be tanking. Tanking is making your team worse for that purpose, not trading current assets for future ones. People got all up in arms that year Buffalo traded their two UFA goalies for draft picks and worse goalies. As if that's not exactly what a non-playoff team should do.

Reactions: shinchanyo

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers are still strong in net and their forward group while not great is passable. Our defense right now is the major issue. Not likely you're going to win a lot when you're playing what amounts to 4 rookie first/second year pros every night and I'm including DeAngelo in that group though technically he's not considered a rookie. The reason that's happening is due in great part to injuries that have plagued the team in the second half--the trade of McDonagh and Smith being a trainwreck this year. I wouldn't say the Rangers though are actively trying to lose games. They're just not good enough to win a lot right now. They've got to get their defense sorted out and that's not happening until next year at the earliest. I expect them to try to win but I don't expect that they'll win a lot and there's the other part of me that would rather they not win very many the rest of the way for the obvious reason of better draft positioning. No point getting too worked up over how well they do the rest of the way though--what happens happens.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
you'd be taking it wrong. If I'm going to root for my team to lose, there better be a damn good reason for it and it better worth the while. Nobody on this draft board is worth intentionally losing for IMO. The pride is worth much more
I’m gonna take a wild guess and say you know mostly nothing about this draft board?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Shattenkirk averaged around 11 individual shot attempts from 2010 to joining the Rangers, and never went below 10.4.

This year, he's around 8.3.

avlaugh.gif

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I’m gonna take a wild guess and say you know mostly nothing about this draft board?
The only player worth tanking for IMHO is an elite forward at the level of McDavid, Ovi, Tavares, etc... The type of guys that are never traded. An elite D-man isn't worth selling out your pride for

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Shattenkirk averaged around 11 individual shot attempts from 2010 to joining the Rangers, and never went below 10.4.

This year, he's around 8.3.
Anyway we could get the splits from the first half of his season to his second? I made a half-hearted attempt but failed.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
you'd be taking it wrong. If I'm going to root for my team to lose, there better be a damn good reason for it and it better worth the while. Nobody on this draft board is worth intentionally losing for IMO. The pride is worth much more

Okay then. You clearly don't know a thing about this draft, and especially not Rasmus Dahlin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad